1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oprah and Jesus

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, May 12, 2005.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So, are you saying that every person who has ever lived deep in the jungle and never heard of Jesus, never heard the gospel, will burn in hell for all of eternity? </font>[/QUOTE]According to the truth found in Romans 1-3, there is noone who has ever lived born with an excuse. Every person born since Cain(and there's been a bunch of us) is born without excuse!!!

Bro. David

2. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I still don't think what's been said so far would help Oprah or her unbelieving viewers understand WHY someone who has NEVER had the opportunity to hear the gospel would have to burn in hell for all of eternity. Something's missing in your explanations.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Oprah says: So, Jim, how could someone who lives in some remote area who has never heard of Jesus, and who will not hear about Jesus before they die.....how can they keep from going to hell?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Hypothetically) Jim says to Oprah;
    Jesus said, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by Me."

I didn't say that. Jesus did. No man, means no man. God is just and good and righteous and Holy. It is not for me to wonder what happens to the "one who has never heard". My responsibility is to act upon what is revealed to me. Part of that responsibility is to take the message to those very people you are talking about. More directly, Oprah. Who do YOU say Jesus is? For it is upon your answer to THAT question alone that your eternal destiny hangs.

That is my (hypothetical) answer. And your reply is...?

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

That's the best answer I've heard so far. I hope you don't think I'm trying to be difficult here. I'm just trying to learn. Thanks.

(Oprah's reply would probably be, "it's time for a commercial break").

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you suffer from Excsema? Try Gold Bond creme! [​IMG]

And now back to our show!

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I still don't think what's been said so far would help Oprah or her unbelieving viewers understand WHY someone who has NEVER had the opportunity to hear the gospel would have to burn in hell for all of eternity. Something's missing in your explanations.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Whats missing isn't in the biblical explanations, but in the unbelieving Oprah and her unbelieving audience, faith in God and the truth of His word. If they believed in God and His written word then a biblically based explanation would be enough for them, theres a problem when the word of God isn't sufficinet to satisfy us with the info God has given.

7. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I guess what I was looking for was how to respond if somebody asked this question. I think Jim gave me a good answer to that a few posts back. Thanks.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I read the other day that Oprah and her partner Steadman have split up, yet no reason seemed to be given.

9. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Y'all have to understand... Oprah has been shacking up with the boyfriend, Stedman, for well over a decade now, she is surely not going to be supportive of Christianity. Hope somebody puts her on the spot again and lets her know that you cant talk like she does and still try to carry the label "Christian".

10. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian30755 said:

One of the best answers I have read is by
    Evangelist Ray Comfort:
    Paraphase: These folks won't be sent to Hell because they haven't heard about Jesus; They will go to Hell because they are Murderers, Adulterers, Liars, Thieves, Etc...

This statement becomes a spring board to talk about sin and the need for the Savior.

Tom

11. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I'm a big fan of Ray Comfort's teachings, and I do understand what he's saying here. It's man's sin that prevents him from going to heaven, not the fact that he's never heard of Jesus. But that still would leave many thinking "it's not fair for God to cast someone into hell who was not fortunate enough to have heard about Jesus, that there is a way to be forgiven and redeemed."

I still like this response from Jim best:

12. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I went to that link and it says you have to donate to see it. :(

13. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

It asks for a donation to order their "Profile on Oprah", but the video clip mentioned at the beginning of this thread should start playing without you having to do anything. Give it another try.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Oprah has been taking some controversial positions lately. She did a show about married couples who engage in ... putting this delicately ... exchanging partners. At the end, she basically condoned it, if all the parties are for it. That rather surprised me. She is entitled to her opinions, but they often are not what I would consider mainstream.

15. Jensen

Jensen New Member

To respond to Oprah.... as Ray Comfort would do...When she says that it is the goodness & generosity in ones heart. Then how good does one have to be? God gave us His law, in part, with the 10 Commandments, so ask her if she has ever told a lie? Yes. What does that make her? A liar. Would God allow liar into a perfect heaven? God's standard is perfection. Be perfect as He is perfect. ...

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would not think that anyone would agree with Oprah's theology but it ought to get our attention to think that as a kid she attended a Baptist Church.