1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oprah, Dr. Phil, Bill O'Reilly, Tony Robbins

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jun 23, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

DAILY DEVOTIONAL MONDAY JUNE 23, 2003
    ( Colossians 2:8, 1 Timothy 1:7, 1 Timothy 4:1, Ephesians 4:14 )

This is a Devotional that I wrote some time ago, but NEEDS to be repeated. Oprah was in Tampa, Florida for her, "Live Your Best Life Tour". Her message is that women can succeed through "spiritual" growth. The problem is, Oprah's brand of spiritual growth is NOT through Jesus Christ or the Bible, but a mixed bag of New Age concepts with a universalistic theology that "all good people will get to heaven."

Over the years, she has generated a cult following of women that I have yet to figure out. She is a role model for mothers, but has no children of her own. She "preaches" to her followers to find fulfillment outside of their
    job, yet is a workaholic herself. She tells others how to have a perfect marriage, yet
    she isn't married herself.

Oprah, Dr. Phil, Bill O'Reilly, Tony Robbins, and MANY others. This is one of the most important Devotionals that I could write, since it is a warning for you to be very aware of the information that you receive into your life
    each day.

The people that I have listed all have large followings and many people are greatly influenced by what they have to say. The one common
    thread that runs through each of these names is that their beliefs, their thoughts, the things that they share are NOT solely based on the inspired, inerrant Word of God. Only the Bible represents Absolute Truth. It is our final authority in all matters.

Now I realize that because of their popularity, even amongst many who read this Devotional each day, some will be outraged that I had the audacity to use them as an example. They are just that, examples for the purpose of today's Devotional, which is to help you discern what people say, no matter how good it may sound, and line it up with what God says. I will ask you to
    do me one favor. Take the next 2-3 minutes, and read the 4 verses at the top that I used as the anchor verses for today's Devotional. These are VERY IMPORTANT verses and set the stage for what I want to share with you today.

Let me say that I am sure these are all fine people. I am not judging them since only God knows their heart. But it is perfectly correct for me to comment on the things that they say in public, in regard to how that lines up with God's Word.

Oprah is a wonderful woman that has done incredible great things for many people. However, she has adopted a universalistic view on life that being good is all that it takes to get to Heaven.

Dr. Phil is a good man, and much of his counsel is very sound. However, it is from a purely secular standpoint and not a Biblical one.

Bill O'Reilly is a journalist, but from time to time shares his personal faith belief which again is a universalistic view of life that being a good person is all God requires.

Tony Robbins mixes New Age spiritualism into his self help training that basically teaches all things are possible through ourselves.

Again, all 4 of these are no doubt wonderful, caring, loving, people. But be careful! Anyone can call themselves a Christian. Just because someone prays does not make them a Christian. Just because someone uses the "right words" does not make them a Christian.

You will NEVER hear any of these people say that Jesus Christ is the only REAL answer, or that Jesus Christ is the Lord of my life. The fact is, being a "good person" will NOT get to Heaven.

Ephesians 2:8,9 tells us specifically that it is NOT by works that we are saved, but by God's grace and our faith in Christ. Why Christ?
    Because of sin. It was God's plan, not mine, or anyone else's, to send Christ as the sacrifice for the sins of this world. That is why ONLY faith in Jesus Christ will save you.

The thing that we MUST be very careful of is allowing those in our popular culture to dictate how we think, how we view life itself. That can and must be shaped ONLY by the Word of God. The reason is obvious. God gave us each freewill. Because of freewill, we are able to formulate our own thoughts and ideas and believe whatever we want to believe.

The obvious danger is that each person can then decide what is right and what is wrong. What may
    be right for one person, may be wrong for another. What is wrong for one person, may be right for another. It is chaos! We are each left up to our own imaginations and there is NO absolute right or wrong.

That is one reason God gave us His Word. So that we each don't have to try and figure out what is right and what is wrong. God's Word represents
    ABSOLUTE TRUTH, and is the final authority in all matters of life. Of course, people still
    have the freewill to decide for themselves what they want to believe, but just because someone decides to reject God's Word, makes it no less true.

I want you to take from this Devotional today is to make sure that you carefully listen to what others say, and filter it through the truth of God's Word. Especially those that our popular culture has elevated to a certain status. This holds true when you are listening to men and women of God as well, INCLUDING WHAT I WRITE EACH DAY! Having an opinion on an issue is fine. The key however is what is that opinion based on, and is it in line with what God's Word says.

I will pray today that in the future, you will filter all that you hear and read, no matter who is saying it, through the Word of God. What a man or woman may say can be very interesting, but what God says is the absolute truth on which we
    can stake our very lives and eternal souls.

In His love and service,
    Bill Keller

(I am ducking now)
    :D
    Sue

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Oprah is not a wonderful woman. She is an ungodly woman who advocates the acceptance of the sodomite lifstyle and other filth on her TV program. She is the same ilk of person as that woman Jezebel who, in the church at Thyatira, advocated religious compromise and sexual impurity.

Jesus - I mean the real Jesus, not the emasculated Protestantized Anglo Jesus - doesn't call such people "wonderful." Here is His judgment on such:

"Notwithstanding, I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her space to repent of her fornication: and she repented not.

Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and the hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works."

Mark Osgatharp

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not tell us what you REALLY think? :eek: :eek:

We don't expect a thorn bush to bring forth figs, or a thistle to bear grapes. Why would we expect unsaved journalists to give the counsel of God? :confused:

4. I Am Blessed 24

I knew I'd better duck when I posted this! Please don't stone the messenger... [​IMG]

5. Mark Osgatharp

I wouldn't.

Notwithstanding, people like Oprah (whether they are saved or not) need to be labeled for what they are because they may well be leading saved people astray just as Jezebel was leading people astray at Thyatira; which is why Jesus gave such a scathing denunciation of her.

Mark Osgatharp

6. I Am Blessed 24

Mark: That's exactly what the original article was saying. She may do a lot of good, but she is not saved and is leading her 'followers' in the wrong direction.

I'm wondering why you singled her out when the rest of them mentioned are doing the same thing? Is it because she is the only woman on the list?

Blessings,
    Sue

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Conservative humanism is just as deadly as liberal humanism. We attack liberals because their ideas are eaqsier for the rest of the population to recognize as wrong but conservative humanists look like pretty good guys. If you are lost and follow them you become nice and lost.

8. I Am Blessed 24

Exactly! [​IMG]

And that is what the original article stated.

[​IMG]
    Sue

9. Mark Osgatharp

Sue,

I singled out Oprah because I have never listened to/watched the men you mentioned and don't know anything about them and therefore cannot speak with authority about them. I have, however, heard Oprah openly condone the sin of sodomy.

Mark Osgatharp

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't have a problem with these folks as far as positive sources for personal enrichment. Now if you're using them for theological enrichment, that's another story.

Most viewers are smart enough to know the difference. If they're not, the blame lies with the viewer and not the broadcaster.

11. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

I got a bit of a chuckle on this thread about some of these famous figures. I've personally never been a huge Ophrah fan, however, I can't say whether I believe she is a practicing Christian or not. I can admire some hardships that she's overcome while believing that she also comes across as a bit judgemental or prejudice against some of her own guests (while openly saying she is NOT prejudice). I'm thinking of the Mark Furhman interview where she treated this man horribly and unprofessionally. He clearly had no ax to grind with her, but she tried to put him on the defensive during the whole interview. That episode tainted my opinion of her a bit.

I believe Dr. Phil has given many people sound advice, but I've also disagreed with some of his advice as well. I think it is ultimately impossible to really counsel someone via a phone or radio program. I believe some of the counseling abilities are lost and that the caller is given the short end on advice--seen this scenario many times (and not just with Dr. Phil).

I have not really seen or heard as much about Tony Robbins, so I don't have a strong opinion on him either way.

I guess my "favorite" of the ones listed would have to be Bill O'Reilly. When I started watching his program, I thought that perhaps he was a right-wing Republican (something I certainly do not claim to be). However, the more I have watched this program, the more I have seen him speak out on many issues--many that are non-partisan in nature. In reality, Mr. O'Reilly claims to be an Independent. Although he can be quite testy with some guests, I'd have to say that I agree with this guy almost always. He's not afraid to stand up for right and wrong when it has to do with human rights or with other humanitarian issues. While his style is not always embraced by everyone, I do think he has some good insights about life and about people. At the very least, he makes his audience think which is more than I can say for some other talk show hosts in recent years.

12. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Amen, Amen and Amen.

I don't expect my cable repair man to be able
    to recite John 1:1 but I do expect him to be able
    to fix my cable.

I do think though, that we have to be careful with these characters like Oprah and Doctor Phil, as they can lead some Christian women astray very easily.

Having said that, if you are mature in the Lord and grounded in his Word than you may be able to chew up the meat and spit out the bones.

IFBReformer