1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opt Out Or Opt In?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rex77, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Thinking caps on boys and girls.

Are we in the book of life before we are born until death, and then removed if we are not saved?

OR

Are we put in the book of life when we are saved?

And to make things a little harder how many books are there?

Any Thoughts?

2. chadnrachel

chadnrachel New Member

Neat question...but tough one.

I believe there is only one book. That's the easy part.

The hard part is that I believe that young children and those who never mentally reach the age of accountability are "safe" in the eyes of God. I believe that they go to heaven when they die...but are they written into the book or already there (because of God's knowledge that they would die early or never reach that age mentally)?

I don't think that healthy people's names are written into the book from birth and erased....but rather, as we get saved, it is written in.

Another neat thought:

The names we give our children are the only things that they will take with them when they die (that we could give to them). What a powerful responsibility (naming our children). :)

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't think there is a literal book, but this is a descriptive way to say that God knows who those are who accept him. If God is omniscient, he has no need of a book to keep records.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I agree.

I think book was used only because that is what people of that time would understand to show that permanent records were kept. Today it might be called a giant computer data base memory.

5. jesnipes

jesnipes New Member

I believe there are more than one book based on Revelation 20:12:
    And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the
    throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened,
    which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to
    what they had done as recorded in the books.
    What are these books? I believe there are the 66 books we find in the Scripture. What is written in these books can be the basis of judgment.
    When are names written in the Book of Life? We are not told directly but according to Ex. 32:33, "And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book." it seems that all names are written in the book until the come to a knowledge that they are sinners.
    Hope this helps you.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Rex77 asked:

Are we in the book of life before we are born until death, and then removed if we are not saved?

OR

Are we put in the book of life when we are saved?

Neither. The "book" is written from "the foundation of the world" (Rev. 13:8, 17:8).

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Exactly, thats the beauty of it all, that we were placed in the book of life before the world was formed and we will therefore remain for eternity! Only God's elect were placed there to begin with! If you're a true christian you are there! ' Examine yourself to be sure you're in the faith, Dont you know Jesus Christ lives in you, unless of course you fail the test!'

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmm, foundation of the world? Before I was born? After?

Unless the world was founded after 1964, then my name must have been in the book before I was born. :smilewinkgrin:

The question I have is was my name written in "at the foundation" but blotted out at first sin and then written back at my salvation or

Was my name written in "at the foundation" and remains there until the conclusion of my life at which time it is either blotted out or not based on my salvation or

Was my name written in "at the foundation" and remains there until this future judgement?

Does the Bible even give us enough info to know the answer with certainty?

9. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Re 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Who is an overcomer?

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.
    1Jo 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The question I have is was my name written in "at the foundation" but blotted out at first sin and then written back at my salvation or

Was my name written in "at the foundation" and remains there until the conclusion of my life at which time it is either blotted out or not based on my salvation or

Do you think that your first sin or the moment of your salvation took God by surprise, so that he had to pull out an eraser and correct his mistakes?

11. Rex77

Rex77 Member

There are a number of books.

I think these verses refer to mortal death as I don't think Moses was prepared to go the hell for his people, but was willing to die.

Ex 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin––; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.

Ex 32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Ps 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous

But the books EG: Lambs book of life, and book of life,seem to refer to eternal life.

Then there is a book of Works of good and bad for the lost at the Great white throne Judgement.

Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

12. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Ransom quote
    -----------------------------------
    Was my name written in "at the foundation" and remains there until the conclusion of my life at which time it is either blotted out or not based on my salvation
    ------------------------------------

Yes I think that is the situation.

Re 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.