1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Order of service and worship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Nov 27, 2011.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnathan Edwards read by the light on the pulpit his sermon. He did so without emotional "props" superimposed upon the words to gain a sway over the crowd.

The people hearing the words and knowing the plight clung desperately to the backs of the pews in front of them lest they fall into the pit and cried out so much that the reading was interrupted.

Edwards, demanded the people to be still and continued reading the sermon.

There was absolutely no intent nor display of manipulation by Johnathan Edwards.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He read the Word and expounded on it (using his own words) with a goal of getting to people's hearts, just like any other pastor. Was it wrong that people responded the way they did?

A song also reaches people's hearts whether it is an old hymn or a new song. Yes, I agree that not every song (or old hymn) is a good one but there are MANY out there that are excellent songs. Yes, they can stir the emotions but they should! The truth of the Gospel, the greatness of God and His mercy SHOULD stir the emotions. Heck, I can just sit here and think on the cross and be brought to tears. But I can also be brought to tears listening to a song about the cross and it's still not wrong.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

A pastor who preaches without passion and a drive and a passion fro the lost is a pastor who doesn't care. We can become so against "manipulation" that we go to far the other way. Making an emotional appeal out of a genuine concern for the lost is not manipulation. How in the world can we not be passionate and emotional over someone dying and going to hell? Of course if you are almighty enough to believe that you are above others because God created them for the sole purpose of damning them then I can see where one would get such an attitude.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I have heard a definition of preaching as "Expository Exultation." It explains and applies the text, yes, and delivers God's commands and promises; but it does more than that: It exults and glories in, rejoices in the truth. Part of preaching is seeking to motivate people with truth that they need to either believe something or do something. Emotionless worship and/or preaching does not honor God, because it is not an appropriate response to the greatness of the Gospel, or the depth of our own sin problem that was solved.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If we can approach ANYTHING about God emotionless, then I'd question the state of our hearts.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not so much a fool as to consider the human should be unemotional.

Emotion has its place and is a part of worship.

What is NOT acceptable is the manipulation of emotions by song or preaching that usurps the work of the Holy Spirit.

In my opinion the modern church has a problem of this in epidemic proportions.

The lighting, music, preaching, even the design of the service is all there to "attract a crowd" and help people "get in the spirit" and many other such terms.

We are not to "get in the spirit" but to allow the Holy Spirit to completely fill and enrich.

We do not "invite the Holy Spirit" to be a part of the worship. If we are truly gathered in His name, Christ is already in our midst, and the Holy Spirit is taking our feebleness and making it acceptable to Christ who in turn makes it acceptable to the Father.

I am not opposed to emotion brought about by the experience of true worship.

However, I most definitely oppose mindless sensationalistic pseudo worship that provides a feel good adventure that a person could just as well get listening and watching to Les Miserables.

#26 agedman, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree. When we are worshiping in spirit and in truth, the Holy Spirit is right there with us, and it will be emotional. How can you possibly love God with no emotion?
    Sunday morning my pastor sang the verses to a hymn and the congregation sang the choruses. It was very simple yet it was so worshipful! I felt God in the singing of that song. I know it was because we were all in one accord worshiping the Lord and He was with us.

But to have to be "worked" up into a feeling, is nothing more than man worship.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a truly awesome fellowship that must have been.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It was. I have recently changed churches and I am so glad. This is the most loving church I have ever been a part of. There are no gimmicks, no slick programs to get people into the church. They just love others and do good things for others in the community and people come. Wow! What a concept huh? LOL Sounds like what Jesus commanded. :)
    I just hope I don't mess up this beautiful church. You know they say if you find the perfect church, don't join it 'cause it won't be perfect anymore! (Of course I know there's no such church.)

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prayer is the highest form of worship. Singing praises is also worship. Hearing God's word builds faith so that we worship all the more. The sacrifice of giving with a cheerful heart is demonstrating love for Christ which is fulfillment of His commandment. Even announcements can be worship especially if we praise God for them.
    MB

11. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. Very much so.

The Archangel