1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ordination of Women

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was intern pastor of a Free Will Baptist church, in Southern West Virginia. The constitution for the Association stated that fellowshipping churches agreed to allow the Association to be in charge of ordination of pastors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep! That's why I didn't make a definitive statement. Baptists are delightfully inconsistent from place to place.

What is the purpose of having the ordination recognized by the denomination? (I still don't have a clear grasp of the reason why "ordination" has to be recognized by any faith group outside of a local church.)

Interesting! So the Association serves as a denomination, regulating/certifying the leadership of the member churches?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would not accept a senior pastor ordained as a female, correct? Nor any Female Elders?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are partofthe Great Lakes Baptits association, and those Pastors ordained are recognized by the local assembly and the larger group, in case that they need to step in if aastor needs removal or discipline...

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Baptist groups do that, as they are the overseer in in case of a conflict wihtin local assembly on a pastor, if thy need to remove or discipline!

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who "they" are. I don't speak for Southern Baptists, so I don't know what any church would necessarily do. In the most recent version of the Baptist Faith & Message of the SBC, they specifically call out that "the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture."

Now they are not using the extrabiblical terminology of "senior pastor", and their statement can be interpreted a number of ways. The most straightforward way is that there should not be any women who serve as shepherds - whatever that means. The problem is that in every church I have known - including some who are downright extreme about women not having official leadership roles, there are women who shepherd other members of the body without the title. Often - especially in small churches - the true pastor (the one that the congregation looks to on a longterm and consistent basis) is a woman who has served the congregation faithfully for decades, not the young man that will be there for 20 months and move on.

And I don't know what you mean by "elder." Women serve on committees throughout Baptist life. They are often elders in that sense. Moreover, mature women in the congregation are often looked to as a source of knowledge and guidance.

In many churches, deacons serve as a board of elders, but that is not necessarily biblical either.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have a denominational hierarchy established where one or more churches can come in and change the leadership of a different local church if the leader falls out of line with what is commonly accepted. That's not autonomy.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is still autonomous. An example: In 2015 the Connecticut region withdrew the ordination of a pastor accused of bilking an elderly parishioner out of thousands of dollars. The church, however, had the authority to retain him, which it did, until it voted him out, then rescinded the vote and then, finally, dismissed him.

https://baptistnews.com/article/ame...s-minister-charged-with-larceny/#.WFXkcvkrJqM

http://blog.ctnews.com/connecticutp...atford-pastor-fired-rehired-then-fired-again/

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's partly correct. Associations will have a credential board that interviews the subject and they will give their recommendation. The local body still ordains. I'm still in the fwbs

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this particular association - the local church does not ordain - it is was the association.

11. Tulipbee

Tulipbee New Member
    Site Supporter

I never heard of a church that has ordained women at the pulpit

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many have - including Baptist churches.

13. Tulipbee

Tulipbee New Member
    Site Supporter

How is that possible? I guess there are fake churches

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or there are Baptist churches that understand the scriptures differently than you.

This thread is not to make an argument for or against the ordination of women for the "senior pastor" role (whatever that means to you), but rather whether women should be ordained for other roles.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are many who have women in the pulpit. One is down the block from us - a PCUSA church which also feels that homosexuality is hunky dory. When on vacation on Block Island in Rhode Island, we went to the local Baptist church...which had a woman pastor. I don't know that I would call them "fake churches" but instead either churches in error, disobedience or ignorance. No matter what way they are, they are wrong and I would not attend them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ordained Ministers of the Reformed Baptist Church 1888-1966

"In 1901, in Saint John, Ella Hadassah Kinney Sanders, who married the Rev. Dr. Herbert Clayton Sanders in 1893, was the first woman in the Dominion of Canada to be ordained."

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem isthat there are NO NT verses that support women ordained as eihter Pastors/Elders in a church. Those who advocatefo iteither say Paul was speakingt o just th local setting, or that he did not take into account modern cultural norms...

Again, the scriptures are wriiten to adress this in an ongoing, for all time fashion though!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cam women be eithr pastors/elders? No, per Bible, yes to all other roles though in church!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elders in Baptist Churches aremale leaders, set apart to teach/guide/lead th local church, an our pastor is the Senior Elder on staff.
    There are no scriptures supporting women installed as a Pastor/elder...

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, if the Pastor is into sinning, such as adultery, taking money , false doctrines etc, and when confronted, refuses to repent and accept church discipline!