1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ordination service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 24, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it?.....I mean really who ordinates?

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, because he now has a glorified body. But when he was made "flesh" he had a body just like ours with lusts and passions he had to resist.

He emptied himself of these attributes. God cannot die, but Jesus really died. God does not get hungry or tired, but Jesus had to eat and sleep.

Yes, but he emptied himself of these divine attributes. He said he did not know the day and hour when he would come again.

Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

God is always omniscient isn't he? But Jesus said he did not know the day and hour he would return.

Yes, but God cannot feel the temptation, he does not suffer being tempted. Jesus could be touched with the "feeling of our infirmities". That means he could actually feel our weaknesses just like us. When he was in the wilderness he was starving, just like we would be starving if we had not eaten for 40 days. That is why the devil tempted him to turn stones to bread, he attacked Jesus at his weakness, which was his human flesh. Jesus was tempted.

Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Temptation didn't bounce off Jesus like bullets bounce off Superman in the movies. Jesus really and truly felt these temptations, he SUFFERED being tempted.

In fact, he felt temptation WORSE than us, because he never gave into them to satisfy these lusts. He suffered far more than we will ever know or realize.

#22 Winman, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed. At my deacon ordination, I honestly told them I knew very little about the Cooperative Program. My favorite question "Brother Brian, is the Bible the Word of God, or does it CONTAIN the Word of God?" My answer was "Are you asking whether or not I believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of Scripture?"

For Pastoral ordinations, at our church, all the real question asking is done previously by council. Then in front of the congregation, some of those questions are asked again, probably to reassure the congregation that the candidate is sound in doctrine. Then somebody preaches the charge. Then there is the laying on of hands, and then the obligatory Bappadist pitch-in dinner.

Consecration. Then Calory Intake.

Could Christ have sinned? IMO: NO! Why? He had no sin nature.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

This is completely unbiblical and clear heresy.
    This is not the Christian view of Jesus....this is horrible, your worst one yet.

Jesus never ceased or gave up divine attributes.:(:(:(
    Christians do not teach this, anywhere.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This person is not close to being ready to lead or shepherd people.
    Would a medical school graduate a student as a heart surgeon who could not identify the veins and arteries around the heart????

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Dude, you need to start reading the Bible.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Jesus never ceased or gave up divine attributes.:(:(:(
    Christians do not teach this, anywhere."

Maybe you need to get out from under your rock more :) Crawling back under mine :)

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Show where any reputable theologian believes this heretical idea. If you believe it you are in trouble yourself.....study the ......Kenosis

https://bible.org/article/empty-god

http://www.biblestudying.net/charismatic26.html

#28 Iconoclast, May 25, 2014
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Again, why don't you quit following men, and believe what the scriptures say?

You can read, did Jesus say here he does not know the day and hour he would return?

Yes or No Icon?

Come on, I know you can do this.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is nothing of Open Theism in this reply. To say so means you simply do not understand Open Theism.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iconoclast sometimes you are sarcastic and make people feel stupid. However for this post we are in 100% agreement. I am not sure the name of the heresy WinMan has outlined here, but its got to be in a systematic theology book on the heresy's concerning Christ.

Modalism? Don't think so.
    Triethism? No. Don't think WinMan believes in three separate gods.
    Arianism? Don't think so as WinMan does not believe Jesus was created.

Which one?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a reformed church I am in agreement and even today I was hesitant to cast my vote. However I gave him grace for two reason.

1) He is a Youth Pastor
    2) He is a Biblical Studies Graduate and does not study Theology nor Apologetics like I do or others.

Biblical studies is all about exegesis, hermeneutics, OTI, NTI, the Greek/Hebrew and such. However one does not need to know apologetics nor systematic theology well. Even at the ordination service he was given two commentaries. I would have given him some theology books.

#32 evangelist6589, May 25, 2014
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Theology, Millard J. Erickson, pp. 749

According to this view, what Jesus emptied himself of was the form of God. The second Person of the trinity laid aside his distinctly divine attributes and took on human qualities instead. In effect the incarnation consisted of an exchange of part of the divine nature for human characteristics. His moral qualities, such as love and mercy were maintained. While this may seem like an act of the Son alone, it actually involved the father as well. The father, in sending forth his Son, was like a father who sends his son to the mission field. A part of him went forth as well. What we have here is a parallel in the realm of Christology to the solution offered by modalistic monarchianism to the problem of the Trinity. Jesus is not God and man simultaneously, but successively. With respect to certain attributes, he is God, then he is human, then God again... While this view solves some of the difficulty, it does not account for the evidence we cited earlier to the effect that the biblical writers regarded Jesus as both God and human. Moreover, the indications of an apparent continuing incarnation (1 Timothy 3:16) militate against the maintenance of this theory, innovative though it be.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's called believing what Jesus himself said. Read it for yourself, and tell me what it says.

Did Jesus say that he did not know the day and hour he would return?

Yes or no John?

Is believing what Jesus said a heresy?

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you are Arminian and a semi-pelegainist however I m not totally convinced you are a heretic or spurring heresy. When I gave you the good person test you passed and yourself admitted to be a liar, theif, blasphemer, and a murderer at heart. You also admitted you trusted in Christ for salvation.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

You didn't answer my question John, did Jesus say that he did not know the day and hour of his return?

Yes or no John?

I am not asking you what Reformed teachers or anybody else thinks, I am asking you what Mark 13:32 says.

Does it say Jesus did not know the day and hour he would return?

Yes or no?

#36 Winman, May 25, 2014
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What you have posted is no different from the J.W. who posts that Jesus said the Father is greater than the Son....then deny He is God

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where in scripture is a youth pastor?

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

All I have done is ask you what Mark 13:32 says.

What does it say Icon? Why can't you answer?

20. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

So, why was Jesus tempted if it was impossible for Him to sin? It was an exercise in futility that had no purpose?

Hebrews 4

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[f] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

You say He couldn't sin... so, this scripture means nothing? It is a waste of ink and paper? Perhaps it was not inspired by God then? That would mean God... lied? failed? the Bible is not infallible? I mean, if He could not sin, then the fact He did not sin means less than nothing.