1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ordination service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 24, 2014.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes both ways, as you well know. Many people here are so dogmatic in their assertions, that they write the opposing view off or dismiss a person's reason as if it were as easy as cutting butter with a hot knife. It happens on both sides. We all need to be careful how we present our views.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

He does this ALL the time, nearly every post. It is intentional.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thus I said the first person plural "we". Calvie or Armie; Dispie or CTer (or whatever else there is); fundie or lib. And everything in between as well.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

You don't say things like that that I can recall. Show me others that write like this.

No, Icon needs to be called out on this, he questions other's salvation on a regular and consistent basis. It is no accident with him. It is his only form of debate.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Okay evan.....I will post exactly what you did say and show it.......I was giving you an example....now I will post the real thing for you......then you can really appreciate it.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

it seems that way to you.....because you post non stop error. There are others who do not agree theologically who do not post non stop error all the time.They do not whine about it to cover up how you said Jesus emptied Himself of His divine attributes

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause:

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I said what the Bible said, that Jesus did not know the day and hour he would return.

Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Tell me Icon, was Jesus lying when he said he did not know the day and hour he would return?

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I use "thumbs up" when I largely agree with a post. I do not have a teachers lounge. I suspect my day as an instructor and Director of a Program is every bit as long as yours, maybe even longer a good bit of the time. Winman, however wrong you think he is at times, offers support, and reasonable support I might add. No one, you, me or Winman has a corner on absolute truth and correctness on all things theological.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was speaking as a man who had limited himself and his infinite knowledge at that specific time. At other times he used his omniscience.
    The same is true with his omnipotence. He refrained from using his almighty power when going to the cross. He could have called 12 legions of angels but he didn't.
    Yet, throughout his ministry, he calmed the raging sea, walked on water, changed water into wine, and raised Lazarus from the dead. This was a great display of his omnipotence. He didn't use this power all the time, only some of the time.
    He didn't use his omniscience all of the time only some of the time.
    Why was he able to answer all the questions of the Rabbis in the Temple at the age of 12? His parents had not taught him all of that knowledge. He relied on his Divine knowledge, his omniscience.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Now how do you know that? :laugh:

You crack me up man.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't fall apart like "Humpty Dumpty" did then!
    I know that because the Bible says that; you ought to read it.
    Jesus said plainly: "I lay my life down; I take it up again; No man taketh it from me."
    He also said that he had the power not to go to the cross: "No ye not that I could have called 12 legions of angels..."

Before he ascended into heaven he said to his disciples: "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
    I know that because the Bible says so.
    He is not limited in his power or in his knowledge. He was only limited on this earth when he chose to be. He said, "I come to do the will of my Father." His Father's will was not to exercise divine power at ALL times.
    Study your Bible Winman.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are getting more famous by the day for reading your own presuppositions into scripture.

All I know is that Jesus said he did not know the exact day and hour he would return. I leave it at that, and I believe exactly what Jesus said. I don't know where you get this, "at that specific time" stuff. That MIGHT be true, and it MIGHT be false, you don't know, and neither do I.

Some had argued Jesus couldn't sin because he was always God, well, God can't die, but Jesus did, God doesn't get tired or hungry, but Jesus did, and Jesus said he did not know when he would return.

So, as a man he seems to have limited himself. This is what I also believe to be the case where Jacob wrestled God and Jacob prevailed. God didn't throw the fight, Jacob actually won. That's what the scriptures say, and what I believe.

You are the guys saying God MUST be this or he MUST be that. That is called being presumptuous. That means you PRESUME things to be fact that aren't necessarily so.

Stick to what the Bible says, and keep your presumptions to yourself.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I do stick with what the Bible says, but as usual you ignore context. You do that with many scriptures: scripture in Ecclesiastes for example; Psalm 51:5 is another example where you avoid context. And there are dozens of others.
    The context here is Jesus speaking as a man and not as God. Sometimes he used the title the Son of God to refer to his deity, but most of the time "the son of man" to refer to his humanity. He identified with humanity. At the same time he identified himself as the Messiah who would come and set up his kingdom. A mere man could not do that. One must be able to differentiate when he is speaking as mortal man, and as Divine deity.
    Who was he speaking of when he said: "I and the Father are one." Was he just speaking of humanity." Ask a J.W.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believe Jesus is God. But as a man he obviously limited himself, God cannot die, God does not get tired or hungry, and Jesus said he did not know what day and hour he would return, only his Father.

I believe he has a glorified body now, he may not HAVE to eat, but only chooses to eat. I doubt he has to sleep, but we will see. He may know the day and hour now, maybe not. He is still the Son, and he said only his Father knows the day and hour he will return. I don't presume like you do, I try to stick with what the scriptures actually SAY.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are not sticking with the Scriptures. The word "Son" is simply a title.
    In John 1:1 he is called the "Word". That is more accurate. God the Father, God the Word, and God the Holy Spirit, the triune Godhead were from all eternity. They never had a beginning and will never have an end. God the Word knew from time immemorial that he would come and die for our sins. It was not a last minuted decision when he saw that mankind was in trouble.
    God the Word knew from time immemorial knows what exact time he will come a second time. That time is known to God the Word, and always has been. If it isn't known to him that God the Word is not God, and God is not God. You worship a false god just like the pagans. God is omniscient. It is one of the major attributes of God. God the Word cannot be separated from God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. We do not worship three separate gods.
    Here O Israel, there is one God.
    He is the same: yesterday, today and forever.

To say that He does not know is to say that God is not God. It is to destroy God and make him a god, like the heathen gods.

Put things in context. He came to earth as an infant. As an infant he deliberately laid aside (not emptied) some of his divine attributes, and yet still was God.
    As he grew, he grew in stature and in favor with God and men (Luke 2:52).
    Sometimes he exercised his divine power and knowledge and sometimes he did not. Those things are self-evident in all of his works and miracles.
    Even the skeptic Nathaniel saw that and became a disciple.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hmm. I would surely like to get back to the OP, but I can't remember what it was.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it was about an ordination service that could have been so much better if only the candidate had been a Calvinist. I think...

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op was someone to be ordained did not meet the personal standards of one person.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't know who TD Jakes was either. Neither had I heard of Brian Mclarrens. Still don't know who the latter is. Neither do I care. It is a knowledge of the Bible that counts.