1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ordination

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by aefting, Jul 23, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

When do you think missionaries should be ordained? Prior to deputation, during, or after they get to the field?

During the ordination process, do you typically get to thumb through your Bible to find verses to back up your answers or is everything supposed to be by memory?

Andy

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I was ordained shortly after we decided to go to the field, before associating with a mission board, and before we started deputation.

I had a copy of my ordination paper and my Bible with me for the 3 1/2 hours of questioning.

My council was a positive experience.

I have sat on several councils since then and basically the same "rules" haev applied.

3. aefting

aefting New Member

What does an ordination paper consist of?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Mine consisted of an extended edition of my own personal statement of faith. Under wise advice I kept it relativity short - about 12 double space pages I think. My advice also said to not use it to shwo off - but only tell what you KNEW and could defend from scripture.

Are you looking at being ordained Andy? Practices differ - I was ordained by my local independent Baptist Church.

Not all ordinations are the same.

5. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I have participated in one and officiated one. The candidate was permitted to use his Bible and his doctrinal statement. In both cases the doctrinal statement was about 1 page per doctrine. In one of the ordinations, (youth pastor), a philosophy of youth statement was required. One ordination had 25 preachers and one had 7. Both questioning times took approx. 2 1/2 hours. Doctrinal questions and Philosophical questions were asked at both.

As a pastor, I would like to see, though not required, a missionary ordained before he presents his work.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Biblical basis for ordination is found where?

Ordination council is found here?

Just to get things started :)

7. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't have any plans for such right now. Mainly, I'm interested because we are evaluating several missionary applications and some of these men are ordained and some are not. We currently only support men who are ordained and I wanted to know if that was an unreasonable standard.

Since I've never been through the process, I was also wondering what it was like. Sounds like it could be very grueling and intimidating, depending on who was on your committee.

Andy

8. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

It definitely can be intimidating. My Pastor invited the men who would participate. Though it was not easy, I found it encouraging to me and to the people of our church.

9. rufus

rufus New Member

The BMA likes to have men ordained before appearing before the Missions Committee, and ususally a half-dozen years of pastoring or Christian work is required.

As far as the ordination itself, BMA pretty much allow the candidate to cites from memory or to use the Bible, as long as the answers are Scritural.

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Basis for ordination is Acts 14:23 & 16:4.

As for the ordination council, sounds like some of you fellows have had a rough time of it. Mine took about an hour, but among my group of people, I had been allowed to preach regularly for sometime, so everyone already knew where I was on the various points of doctrine, etc. We primitive baptists call it a Presbytery by the way.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My council was long - but very fair and a pleasant experience.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was ordained it was opened up to the church congregation to ask questions after the pastor asked me several questions. It was a time for the congregation to hear answer to basic doctinal questions. Everything was out in the open. There was no closet examination before the service. I have ordained deacons the same way. Some have not liked that too well but it keeps things above board. I think it creates an element of trust by the congregation.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We did that as well - but my first floor question was - "What do you tell your children about Santa Claus?" [​IMG]

14. aefting

aefting New Member

What? You didn't have anything in your ordination paper about Santa Claus? :D

What were some of the hardest questions?

Andy

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I wish I could remember - I had really prepared and my council was brilliant, my pastor as moderator did a great job.

My biggest problem was the floor questions - one guy askedme "What would have happened if Adam and Eve had not sinned?" and another tired to embarrass me about my views on divorce, knowing I had several divorced/remarried friends present and that I take something of an "old fashioned" view on the subject.

Still, all in all, a good experience.

16. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh, Acts, where was the council? and "fasting", is that in the process today, seems pot luck is the norm rather than fasting :)

As for 16:4 you might want to reconsider.

17. Link

Link New Member

I also wonder why people have added and subtracted things from Biblical 'ordination'-- or redefined the term altogether.

In the Bible, 'ordination' doesn't have anything to do with getting denomiantional paperwork or writing essays on your beliefs.

In Acts 14, Paul and Barnabas 'ordained' or selected elders. The elders of the church are to care for the church of God. Paul and Barnabas laid hands on these men.

Paul and Barnabas were in apostolic ministry, more akin to what we would call 'missionaries.' They were itinerant missionaries, not the type who stay in one place the rest of their lives.

The Bible does not say that these men were 'ordained' by other men. They were separated to the ministry that the Spirit had called them to. The brethren laid hands on them when they separated them to the ministry--before they went out. Of course, these men had been involved in various ministries before being sent out on this particular journey. But Acts starts calling them 'apostles' after they were sent out on this journey.

The elders that Paul and Barnabas appointed were local brethren from within the congregation, not professionals from outside the congregation. 'Presbuteros' (elders) could also be translated as 'older men.' I Peter 5:5 seems to indicate that elders were older men.

In those days, elders were trained up from within the church, by itinerant apostles who initially brought the word to the churches and returned to strengthen them, and by the ministry of the local body. Some of the brethren int he church, ministering to others with their gifts, and ministering to others, would mature into elders and would be appointed or 'ordained' to look after the flock of God.

Why don't we do things the Bible way? Why add things like denominations, ordination lisences, ordination essays, and all these things? Why do we not recognize leaders God has prepared from within the congregation, instead of insisting on Bible college or seminary graduates.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

How can a local church recognise them unless it examines their beliefs?

19. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By walking with them over the years. Fellowshipping with them over the years. Talking SPIRITUAL things with them rather than the usual news weather and sports :) just a couple suggestions :)

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wouldn't be so bad if we did that - but we don't tend to do so.

We also don't have the office of apostle among us today to determine who should eb sent out.

I think it is only wisdom. Nothing unbiblical about the way it is done. If a local church is going to send a man out to preach the gospel they need to examine him to see that he is in accord with the Word of God and the statement of faith and practice of that local church.