1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ordination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tentman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The SBC doesn't take a specific position on it and this may be due to the great number of divorces within the denomination. But there are churches within the SBC who will not allow a divorced person to pastor or be a deacon.

I know at our church, if you have been divorced, they will not let you be a deacon and I would imagine the same for pastoring. I would venture that to be the case in the majority of the SBC churches.

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It is a common practice to not ordain men who have been divorced. As to whether or not its majority position I don't know. I do know that of 6 SBC pastors on my ordination counsel only one voted no and his reason was my divorce.

3. tentman

tentman New Member

I have read all the remarks thus far and I know of SBC that ordain divorced men, for deacon and pastor. To throw a new twist into the mix. What most of you are saying is that it is okay to beat up your spouse, murder someone, have all the affairs you want, steal, and all the other things you want to but if you are divorced you cannot be ordained. I have heard pastor's testimony about being in prison for murder, they are filling the pulpit. I heard a pastor at an ordination service preach about beating his wife, using drugs and he is still filling the pulpit, but again let someone get a divorce and they are doomed. Here is the kicker. You can be divorced, and teach Sunday school, go figure.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac,

I Tim tells us that a pastor must be a husband of one wife.

1) does that mean that a single man can not be a pastor?
    what about widower?

2) If Paul meant divorce - then why did he not say divorce?
    Or is the verse talking about polygamy / bigamy?

3) Suppose a man is divorced after his ordination. Should he be defrocked? Charles Stanley would fall in this category.

Also, I tend to think that most our our SBC churches will not prohibit the ordination simply based on divorce.

Salty

disclaimer - yes if a man is divorced, the circumstances should be taken into account.