1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ordonez on pace to break single season doubles record

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Jun 5, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Has anyone noticed the season that Magglio Ordonez is putting together? He is on pace for the following:

BA = .362
    HR = 38
    RBI = 150
    Runs = 145
    Doubles = 81 (would shatter the current record of 67)
    Extra Base Hits = 119 (would tie the current record held by Babe Ruth)

The Tigers as a team are on pace to break the single season doubles and extra base hits records. If they could combine last year's pitching with this year's hitting, they would win 115 games. But their pitching injuries and poor bullpen have kept them in 2nd place thus far.

My dad, son and I went to the Tigers-Indians game on Sat. June 2nd. It was the first win for the Tigers over the Indians this year, and one day after a complete meltdown by Todd Jones blowing a huge lead in the 8th and 9th innings. Ordonez hit his 13th homer and 28th double of the season. Pudge was 4 for 5. We saw a lot of offense in a 9-5 Tigers win. It was also the same night the Cavs beat the Pistons in Game 6, and there were tons of people standing outside the Q and the Jake. I'm kind of happy for the Cavs - I hope they upset the Spurs. Dynasties are boring.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I hadn't seen those stats. Interesting numbers. Of course, I'm always leery of "on pace" projections because they rarely come to fruition. Still, Mags appears to be having a good year. The Tigers have no excuse this year. The Indians are the only ones in the Central willing to give them any competition. The White Sox are out and the Twins would need a gargantuan effort to climb back in the race.

By the way, how are you coping with the current "luck" numbers (Pyth won-loss) that shows the Twins to be as lucky as the Tigers :laugh:

That same stat has my Reds as one of the unluckiest teams in the NL. Balderdash. They have no bullpen and no consistent starter other than Aaron Harang. But Homer Bailey's here to save the day :laugh:

I look forward to hearing your take on my HOF list. I hope to have it finished this week. Stay tuned.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Remember the Twinkies had a bad first half last year, but were en fuego after the All-Star break.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

They'll need to be en fuego to run down the leaders. Personally, I think if Detroit gets hot and figures out some pitching problems, they're in. CLE has been playing over their heads IMHO. However, the Tribe is due. I think DET will run them down. This is not a strong division this year. MIN and CHISOX have not played well.