1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Organ Donations

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor Sam, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about organ donations? i.e. heart, lungs, eyes, liver, etc.

2. Brett

Brett New Member

It is everybody's responsibility to donate any usable organs after they die. The bible contains no guidelines prohibiting the donation of organs. I believe that failing to donate one's organs after death is equivalent to standing by and watching while somebody drowns. Organ donation should be made mandatory.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I told my wife that when something happens to me that she is free to donate any organ I have to anyone who needs it, with ONE condition. She must make absolutely for sure that I am done with it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Brett

Brett New Member

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Well you can't take them with you.

You leave all your world possesions to someone, so why not your organs too. Of course they may not want mine bythe time I am finish using them. [​IMG]

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I haven't decided yet, I know I should.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, once I'm gone, I have absolutely no need for any PHYSICAL organ! Why not give someone else a better shot at a normal life if posible!! :confused:

As far as I'm concerned, this is a no-brainer!! [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Me too! Anything but my BRAIN! I'm not sure anyone would want it tho! LOL

Diane

9. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the good comments. I was wondering if anyone had positive or negative comments as to if the Bible says anything about this or do you feel the Bible is silent on this subject?

10. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Assuming use of them could have been made, should Jesus have donated his organs? Or would it have been more like a three day loan? [​IMG]

Apparently Jesus's old body was resurrected, since it wasn't in his grave, correct? So what exactly is the relationship between Jesus's (and presumably our) old body and the new resurrected one?

Perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to distribute our body parts.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Timothy, after His ressurection, Jesus' body still had his wounds and offered to allow Thomas to touch those wounds. Our heavenly bodies will be free from defect or illness. I think we can safely say we won't be doing any harm if we donate, unselfishly, our corneas, hearts, lungs, kidney's, liver, or even our skin to help others.

Are you aware that foreskin from circumcisions is harvested from hospitals and is used to grow new skin to treat severe burn victims?

12. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Can everyone donate organs? Are there any limitations on who is able to donate them?

13. Justified

Justified New Member

I have never been a supporter of organ donation, but at the same time, I don't oppose those who would donate their organs during their life time and after. We personally have that decession to make.

I do not support mandatory organ donation either!

Having said that! After I'm creamated, they can do whatever they want with my organs!!! [​IMG]

14. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I agree with Timothy 1769. I don't think God will be able to ressurrect you if you donate your organs because God is not all-powerful. Besides, those people who with faulty organs shouldn't be so grabby about things like staying alive.

[ October 11, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Pete Richert ]

15. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Originally posted by dianetavegia:
    Timothy, after His ressurection, Jesus' body still had his wounds and offered to allow Thomas to touch those wounds. Our heavenly bodies will be free from defect or illness.

So our resurrection bodies won't be like Jesus's? Jesus's wounds remained. I always assumed they would be of the same kind. For the same reason I always assumed we would be resurrected into around 30 year old bodies.

I think we can safely say we won't be doing any harm if we donate, unselfishly, our corneas, hearts, lungs, kidney's, liver, or even our skin to help others.

I'm no expert (or even competent) concerning end times prophecy, but what will happen to our old bodies when we are resurrected? I'd hate to think of a donated lung or heart just disappearing out of someone....

Advanced Tissue Sciences (La Jolla, CA), retrieves foreskins from hospitals so one foreskin can create 250,000 square feet of dermis

Well, now wouldn't THAT be a sight to see! lol

Seriously, in ways I think organ donation could be a slippery slope. Why not use aborted babies to save lives, then? And are our bodies really "ours" in the sense we can just dispose of them as we please?

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Originally posted by Pete Richert:
    I agree with Timothy 1769.

Sarcasm isn't a fruit of the Spirit.

I don't think God will be able to ressurrect you if you donate your organs because God is not all-powerful.

Luke 4:12
    And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Trashing or deliberately mutilating our bodies, even for a good cause, can be seen a sign of disbelief in a physical resurrection. Perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to give up our organs, who knows, we may not be done with them yet [​IMG]

Besides, those people who with faulty organs shouldn't be so grabby about things like staying alive.

In general earthly life is overrated. Personally I'm itching to go anytime the Lord calls.

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

OK, after some reflection I think all Christians probably should donate their organs as an expression of love. But I still don't think it's a "no brainer", and I could easily be wrong.

18. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Organ donation is on the whole a good thing. But as it has already been stated what relationship does the resurrected body have with the physical body. I believe until shown some biblical answer to the contrary, that the Lord brings out that body from the grave. It matters not how long it has been there, He is able to unite the body and spirit. If our organs are transplanted, at the rapture I can only presume that they will go up with the believer, leaving the body of the one that they have transplanted in. Why if He is going to resurrect the body would God leave some of it behind?

What this does for the unsaved transplantee, is give time and opportunity they may not otherwise have had to be saved. It is an act of love and compassion, we do not loose out in this. For the saved it may prolong their days of service. But in the end God knows. We must do all according to our conscience there is no hard and fast answer.

I hope that this stirs up some thoughts, I too have thought long and hard over recent years on this matter and would like some sound answers.

Roy
    [​IMG]

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, The church I attend has a rather large "organ" to donate to any Baptist church. [​IMG] (three banks of keys and foot petals) It's been sitting in our back hall for a year collecting dust after we upgraded.

Any recipient should contact me with reasons for the need, plus they will need to pick-up the organ. I'll pass the request on to my pastor an have him contact you.

Rob

20. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I had never considered this, wow!, what a concept. As a Sci-Fi fan that is very interesting. I can see it now, I am raptured and one eye comes from Topeka and the other from Kansas City, my liver from Peru and my kidneys from Chicago. On a more serious note, I don't think we are getting recycled organs or merely improvements in our old organs, we are getting BRAND NEW bodies. Those who have been creamated, eaten by sharks, or disintegrated by a nuclear blast will be just as resurrected as those who have been more preserved in a coffin.

Your hope has been realized. We aren't merely going to be rejuvenated, we are going to be NEW.

I Cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.