1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Organ Donations

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Feb 10, 2009.

?
  1. I have made arrangements to be an organ donor

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. I may become an organ donor

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I am not, and on not plan on being an organ donor

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Organ donors should be put on a priority list

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Well know celebs should be given priority

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. States should have the right to demand organ donations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Individuals should be allowed to be paid if medically possible

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Prisoners should be given the same priority as the public

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. Military combat vets should be given priority

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

It would at least give you some kind of control over what happens to you.
    But it's still the doctor's call whether or not he considers you alive.
    I would want to be brain dead9 as many tests as they can do to prove it to my family), and a machine pumping my heart, thats technically dead, or at least to me it's enough. Personally I beleive a person like this is dead, they are gone, humans playing god keep the heart artificially pumping, in the semblance of life when no life is there.
    But thats my thought on it.

2. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

This is not entirely correct. A body is by most accounts dead, it is only by the use of machines that blood continues to circulate. This is to maintain vitality of the organs. When the organs are harvested the patient is treated with the same care and respect, as would any other patient having any other surgery.

IMHO being an organ donor is an ultimate act of service.

3. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Brain activity is but one measure they use to determine viability.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The thing that bothers me in the article is that now they are deciding who's life is more worthy and who's is not. So the 74 year old man's life is not worthy of getting a liver whereas the 25 year old's is - when we don't know if the 74 year old man is a man who will touch many more lives due to medical research - save the life of others due to his wisdom and expertise as a miner - or whatever. We also don't know if the 25 year old is stupid and immature and will die in 2 years due to a drug overdose or driving wrecklessly. Who are we to assign value to a life based on age? That's just sad.

As for organ donation, they do not take organs from those who are living. These people have been declared brain dead or are physically dead. Yes, they can harvest organs from a body that is dead.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With a wickedly low number of available organs, UNOS is in a very difficult position. It would be wonderful if there were enough organs to go around, but there simply aren't. And the number of needed transplants are increasing each year -- largely in part to the dramatic increase in diabetes. Already, there are certain protocols in place. For example, you cannot receive a liver transplant and still be drinking alcohol.

The best course of action for anyone needing kidney or marrow transplant is to find a willing, living donor -- as you do not need a cadaver.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, determining if the person is dead is the controversy here. There is disagreement among doctors as to when and what constitutes death - cardiac death, cessation of brain function, etc. I think this is treading into God's territory.

If you are in this state and they think your life is worth less than the person who needs organs, the plug could be pulled too soon. There are no safeguards with this in some states.

If you are okay with someone declaring you dead when you may not be so they can have your organs, by all means, be an organ donor. But I was advised by the lawyer I worked for (one of the top euthansia attorneys) to not be an organ donor in my state.

#26 Marcia, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But the point is - when is someone declared dead? This is subjective and controversial. Doctors disagree.

They cannot harvest many organs if you have died, such as the heart or lung. You must still be breathing (even on a machine).