1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Orionid Meteor Shower

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by James_Newman, Oct 21, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I was working late last night, and didn't get home until almost 4 am. While driving I saw a shooting star, and when I got home I noticed how dark and clear the sky was, and decided to watch for a few minutes. Sure enough, I saw another. So I went and got a blanket and laid out on the driveway for about 30 minutes and ended up seeing 8 or so. I figured it was a meteor shower, but I couldn't remember which one occured in October. I'm hoping to catch some more tonight, if I manage to find myself up that late. Considering I slept till almost 4 this afternoon, I probably will...

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Are you going to watch for the Leonids next month...I think around the 18th or something?

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It looks like viewing conditions will be good, barring weather. New moon. So, I will probably try to catch some if it isn't too cold! I love watching meteors.

4. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

It will probably be quite chilly here but I fully intend to try to catch some of it.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This is not about meteors, but it is about watching the sky on a cold clear night.

I, too, used to work late and very often when I lived in NE Montana, I would be driving homeand the Northern Lights would literally light up the horizon. On more than one occassion I had to stop my car, get out, and watch the show. Inevitably, during the midst of it all, the Spirit of God would bring to rememberance the passages where John or Isaiah were given visions of the throne of God. I found I was without words to describe the beauty and awe inspiring wonder of it all, and then I would think what a wonder it will be to stand before God one day with my own eyes beholding His granduer. If these lights on earth were so wonderous, just think what a sight His Throne and Majesty will be.

Those were times when I was closer to truly worshipping the Majesty of God than I have ever been. It is hard to explain. I wasn't worshipping His creation as much as I was the Crerator of it all. The Northern Lights are truly breathtaking.

I could literally HEAR them as they danced across the cold winter sky. And boy is it cold up there. -30F to -40F is not uncommon. The colder and clearer the night, the better the light show was.

It gave me new appreciation for this:
    Job 37:5
    God thunders marvellously with his voice; great things does he, which we cannot comprehend.
    Job 37:6
    ΒΆ For he says to the snow, Be on the earth; likewise to the gentle rain, and to the heavy rain of his strength.
    Job 37:7
    He seals up the hand of every man; that all men may know his work.
    Job 37:8
    Then the beasts go into dens, and remain in their places.
    Job 37:9
    Out of the south comes the whirlwind: and cold out of the north.
    Job 37:10
    By the breath of God ice is given: and the broad waters are frozen.

What a wonder filled God we have.

6. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Let's see...here in Jackson early Tuesday a.m....around 2 a.m. there was a meteor shower going on....pretty cool stuff.:type: