1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Orthodox Churches?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nate, Nov 26, 2005.

1. nate

nate New Member

I was wondering what many on here feel about the Orthodox faith? I have always felt more aligned with the Orthodox faith rather than the RC/Western church. For several reasons they do not have a Pope/Holy Father spiritual leader and they never tried to keep God's Word out of the people's hands. To me that is the greatest error men can make because the Holy Spirit works through God's Word.Just been reading a lot of books about Orthodox churches lately.Just wondering what some of you guys thought?
    In Christ,
    Nate

2. quidam65

quidam65 Member

Actually the Orthodox churches do have a pope, at least some of them do.

Recently one of my co-workers retired, who was a Coptic Orthodox (Egyptian). They trace their lineage to St. Mark (author of the second Gospel account) who they claim is their first Pope.

Though many of their beliefs on social issues are identical to we in the Baptist ranks (they condemn homosexuality and abortion), they do practice a sacramental system though it differs from the RCC system. And they do not consider themselves the only "true church".

3. nate

nate New Member

Ok I had read that they didn't look to a "spiritual" leader on earth. What was your co-workers view of salvation?

4. Link

Link New Member

The Egyptian Orthodox is Separate from the Eastern Orthodox (Greek, Russian, and several other groups). They split in the 300's. The Egyptian Orthodox (Coptic) have a patriarch they consider a pope. The Greeks have a patriarch that they consider the first among equals if I remember correctly, the bishop of Constantinople whom they consider to be the replacement for the see in Antioch or something along those lines.

the Greek Orthodox consider the Orthodox church to be 'the church' but I think the ones in the US tend may be more inclined ot say they know where the Holy Spirit is (the Orthodox church) but will not say where He is not.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The person to ask about this would be Doubting Thomas, but he doesn't seem to be around right now.