1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Orthodox Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Bronconagurski, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Anyone here own the Orthodox Study Bible. I just ordered it from christianbook dot com for $29.99. The O.T. is a newly translated English version of the Septuagint, and the N.T. is the NKJV. Here is a description:

The Orthodox Study Bible - Bonded Leather Black
    Thomas Nelson / 2008 / Bonded Leather
    4.5 out of 5 stars(53 Reviews)

Product DescriptionOrthodox Christianity is the face of ancient Christianity to the modern world and embraces the second largest body of Christians in the world. In this first-of-its-kind study Bible, the Bible is presented with commentary from the ancient Christian perspective that speaks to those Christians who seek a deeper experience of the roots of their faith.

Features Include:
    Old Testament newly translated from the Greek text of the Septuagint, including the Deuterocanon
    New Testament from the New King James Version
    Commentary drawn from the early Church Christians
    Easy-to-Locate liturgical readings
    Book Introductions and Outlines
    Subject Index
    Full-color Icons
    Full-color Maps
    Presentation page
    Ribbon marker
    Gilded page edges

Anyway, I can't wait to get it. I hope it is smyth sewn, but it probably isn't coming from Nelson as they usually glue.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    have picked one up in the bookstore, seemed decent binding for the price, but the stusy notes are different then Baptist for sure, more "catholic" in theology!

Also, wouldn't it really be a NT study bible, as their OT not based off the Hebrew, so not "legit?"

3. Bronconagurski

I did not get it for the notes, but never saw a bible with the English Septuagint and the NKJV. I have Brenton's English translation of the Septuagint on my e sword program and can't wait to compare the two and see what is what. I haven't studied out the quotes of Jesus and Gospel writers when they use the O.T. but some say they are different because they quote the Septuagint in a lot of places. I am gonna see if I can figure out if that is true in English.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is it the NKJV text, or more of the Greek text per theBzt church tradition though?

Think will be interesting to read and compare/contrast the texts/notes to say a "baptist" version!

5. Bronconagurski

It will be interesting to see the notes of some of the early church fathers and see what they believed about certain verses we use for doctrine today.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that would to me the BEST aspect to that bible, same way say the net bible is much better for its notes then actual translation!

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have the hardcover edition. It is certainly different.

One apocryphal book that I like is Sirach.

Get used to 151 Psalms.

8. Bronconagurski

Thanks for your input. The book should arrive today, so I will have to take a look at Sirach and the 151 Psalms.

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have one, and love it.

Of course, I don't agree with so many of the notes, but it does help see the Eastern perspective on things.

It's an excellent translation and I have enough sense to know which books we accept and which we don't. The order in the OT can be confusing, but you get used to it.

Fascinating how much Eastern thought is found among the Methodists.

10. Bronconagurski

Thanks for your input. The one I am getting is in paragraph form, so I take it finding verses will take some getting used to as well. UPS man should have done been here, but a watched pot never boils. :)

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? What are theur teachings/views that would seem to be drawn more from estern church than from the Western one?

12. Bronconagurski

That is a good question and one that I going to try and answer as I look over the bible and the notes. I finally got it and it will definitely take some getting used to as far as finding the books in the O.T. The N.T. is in the Protestant order.

The bible is glued, and the pages are thin so ghosting is a problem when reading. Thomas Nelson Publishing ain't what they used to be before they went private imo. Hardly any bibles they produce are smyth sewn now and they fall apart after a few years if you use them a lot.

It seems two of the early divides between East and West were the Pope, and whether the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father, or from the Father and the Son. I hope to read more on the subject. I should add that Eastern Orthodoxy says the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Wesley's Eastern influence came through theologians in the Church of England who were influenced by Eastern thought. However, Wesley's ideas of holiness are different from the Eastern views of this, and Wesley believed more in the Western concept of depravity than in the Eastern view. I would describe Wesley's position more as Arminian Anglican with some unique views on holiness.

Just some historical perspective.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Right, and this is one thing that alienated the EOC from the West when the West added the Filioque to the Nicene Creed, which said that the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father and the Son.

15. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh yes. There is most certainly a long-standing "he said/she said" between the RCC and Eastern Orthodoxy and I get to hear about it ALL THE TIME as my boss is a Roman Catholic and his wife is Greek Orthodox.

16. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Wow! :)

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    believe they also view the Incarnation somewhat different fashion then the Western church, but still hold to Sacramentalism!

18. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thomas,
    Not to change the subject but you seem to know about Wesley, can you suggest a book that would help me understand the theology of the modern Weslyan churches in the USA? It seems that everything I see out there is Nazaerean or United Methodist or Holiness but I seek something specific to the Wesylan Church. Am I correct in my assumption that the Wesylan Church is on the main a lot more conservative than the United Methodist or would the Wesylan church be considered a mainline?

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I'm afraid I am not as familiar with the Wesleyan Church as with other Wesleyan and Methodist groups.

However, you are correct that the Wesleyan Church is much more conservative than the United Methodist Church.

I wish I could be more helpful.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they came out from the Holiness Movemet , akin to the Nararenes, and they emhasis holy living, and alsoteach the "second act of grace" from the Holy spirit, by which originally it was taught we could become so filled with him and empowered could attain state of spiritual perfection, but Wesley backed off that, and held to we could become fully lovong as the lord, doing everyhting from proper motivations!

Distinctly Arminian as regarding salvation..