1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OSAS in Lord's Prayer

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marty Cauley, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Marty Cauley

Marty Cauley New Member

In Jn 17:24 Jesus prays that we will be with Him: "Where I am." Will all believers unconditionally be there? If so, how can being "where I am" in Jn 12:26 be conditioned on service?

In Jn 17:17, Jesus prays that the eleven will be sanctified in the truth. Does this mean that their practical sanctification was a guaranteed result as the outcome of His prayer? If not, how can 17:24 be a guarantee of OSAS?

Some would respond that Jesus is leaving the answer of 17:17 up to our free will. But if Jesus was just expressing a wish like 2Pet 3:9 in this context, then there is no guarantee of OSAS in 17:24 is there?

Does Jn 17:24 just mean, "Father, I sure would like it if those who believe in Me will make it to heaven but I know the fulfillment of My request depends on their response, so I know they might not make it."

How about Luke 22:32: "I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail [and I sure hope it won't but I can't say for sure because of your free will, but assuming that My prayer is hopefully answered] when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

I just don't get the picture of Jesus thinking that His prayer might not be answered (Jn 11:41-42). So how do we reconcile taking 17:24 as a unconditional guaranteed result for all believers and 12:26 as a conditional result?

Calvinists might respond that that 17:24 guarantees the service of 12:26 and thus the result of being with Jesus in both. But this would make being with Jesus soteriologically a result of synergistic activity which is a difficulty even for Calvinists. So I am looking for a more satisfactory approach.
    Thanks,
    Marty