1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT Law

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by kubel, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kubel

kubel New Member

Someone told me that because Jesus said "If you love me, keep my commandments", that we should still be abiding by Old Testament Law, including (but not limited to) the Sabbath, food, clothes, etc...

So far I have Galatians 3:24. Any other suggestions?

2. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I take this to be embodiment of the law (letter of the law killeth but the spirit giveth life).

Mark 12:28-34 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

thjplgvp

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok, somebody will probably have to help me out here but I believe there is 3 parts to the OT law. Ceremonial law, which is a shadow of the coming Messiah. Judicial law, which is the civil laws and authority governing society. And Moral law, which is the comandments. The Moral law is never done away with as Jesus said the 2 commandments, Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself summed up the law and the prophets.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To try to categorize OT law and say "this set we must follow," "this set is not required," "this set is redefined," et al, complicates what is not at all complicated. Just go by the NT! Any commandments for NT Chrsitians are right there in it.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree with Amy;
    I also agree with Alcott for the Commandments are right in there meaning the NT. Jesus mentioned them and so did Paul. Sin is transgression of the Law and goes on to quote the Commandments. I would like to know which one of the commandments do you not keep by keeping the two mentioned on here. If you love your neighbor, can you covet his wife, steal from him, etc. I for one do not believe you can worship a golden calf and be saved!!!

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is so true. If we keep those 2 commandments we will keep all ten. Jesus made it easy to remember them didn't He? :love2:

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty much the whole chapter of Galatians 5...actually the whole epistle.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily true.

Sabbath observance is not something you would necessarily keep through obedience to those greatest commandments.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How about the first commandment, Love your God with all your heart? Wouldn't that cause you to obey the Sabbath?

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Colossians 2:14:17

14--And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses.

15--Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

16--And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16--Let no man, therefore, judge you in meat, or in drink,or in respect to a holy day, or of the new moon, or sabbath days,

17--which are a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ.

In addition, the of Hebrews spends the entire book writing of a better covenant and better promises, and strongly urging Hebrew believers not to go back to the Old Covenant.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not for the Christian--see Tom Butler's post above.

12. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going to church on Sunday is not "obeying the Sabbath" as the Sabbath was Saturday and not Sunday.

There is also no clear Scriptural support for Sunday as a replacement for the Sabbath.

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting 10% of one's paycheck in an "offering" plate is not and never was a tithe of any kind in the Bible ever.

The tithe was a ceremonial law, not a moral law, and thus is another part of the Old Testament that has no bearing on the church.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why not "Love the Lord thy God", If you love me you will keep my commandments?

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sabbath started out to be the seventh day, a day of rest. Didn't say Sat or Sun.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There is a difference between the ordinances and Commandments. Where the Commandments are spoken of in the NT, it ususally lets us know its talking about the Ten. Also, the Commandments carried the river Jordan in the ark by the priests, were the Ten Commandments.

I am not a stickler to the exact day but do take to heart the scripture that says, "fail not to assembley thyselves together as others have, and have already denied the faith".

#16 Brother Bob, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Jesus did not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill it.

The ceremonial laws were done away with when the veil was ripped asunder.

The moral laws are to be obeyed always.

It always amuses me that we, as Christians, try to see how much we can get by with instead of seeing how much we can be like Jesus.

We concentrate so much on which 'laws' should be kept that we miss God's grace.

Just live for Jesus and don't worry about it...

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It also says Jesus fulfilled it but the righteous of the Law is fulfilled in us also. Talking about the Ten. I agree everyone talks around them but yet don't believe in lying, adultery etc, or at least they are supposed to not believe in doing those things. Over the years, I have encountered many who say the Ten are done away with but talking to them they believe you can't break them but just don't call them the Ten Commandments. They say call them the Law of Christ and I tell them to call them whatever they want as long as they keep them. :)

#18 Brother Bob, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The New Testament re-affirms all of the Commandments,except the Sabbath.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are right Tom, except the scripture I quoted that said "fail not to assembly thyselves together as others have and have already denied the faith", which would be pretty bad thing to do. Don't you agree? :jesus: