1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT law

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said the greek does not support perfect patience. But even if it did your hermeneutics is flawed. They have to be let go if you follow perfect patience as you put it. That is the example you are using from the text. They were all let go in the text. You cannot have it both ways.

#101 freeatlast, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so we disagree. There is no difference between rendering the phrase "all patience" or "perfect patience". The result is the same.
    The context is clear, even if you can't (refuse) to see it.

I see you didn't answer my question. I'll give it another try. Do you believe we should return to the death penalty for the offenses described in the O.T. Law?

peace to you:praying:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sorry about the question, I simply missed it. As to your question the answer is yes except in those cases where the law has been fulfilled such as Sabbath laws. By the way at one time we did follow most of them, but I am afraid that our current God hating post modern society has taken control and we no longer follow them. We are told this would come and it is here.
    Now that leaves me with a question. If you lived during the time of the law would you obey and support the death penalty for all the reasons given in scripture?

#103 freeatlast, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you believe the Law has been fulfilled by our Lord Jesus Christ?
    I simply don't know. It is impossible to say how I would respond absent Holy Spirit in my life. Holy Spirit wasn't given then. Jesus hadn't yet changed the conditions for implementing the death penalty. I thank God I don't live under the O.T. Laws.

I supported the death penalty for many years. A careful study of scripture has changed my mind.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Fulfilling the law does not mean it is done away with. Jesus made that clear when He said that He did not come to destroy it but to fulfill it. The fulfilling of the law that He fulfilled was His coming and dying for our sins, not the doing away with God's commands and precepts. God has not changed nor has His law.
    As for you not knowing if you would obey, it has nothing to do with the idea that the Spirit had not been given yet. The OT was full of those who loved and obeyed the Lord. Just read the Psalms. The problem with a person not knowing or even refusing to obey is about their relationship with God. They are either for Him or against Him. There is and has never been any middle ground. To be undecided is just as against Him as clearly stating such. You say that you thank God that you do not have to live under the Law. WHY? Do you feel that God's law was unjust? Do you feel He was harsh under the old covenant? I am just curious.

#105 freeatlast, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are simply wrong.

Gal. 3:19 "Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions....until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made"

Notice the phrase "until the seed would come". This clearly states the Law was temporary.. until Jesus Christ came.

Gal. 3:24-25 "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ.....(25)But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

Notice that we are no longer "under a tutor", that means we are no longer under the Law.
    The Law only condemned, it did not save anyone. That was not its purpose.

I don't feel God's Law was unjust. Quite the contrary, it was perfectly just. And yes, it was "harsh" as human beings see it, because God demands perfection. I know I wouldn't be able to keep it. If I had lived in the O.T. times as I have lived my life, I would have been stoned to death by the time I was 25.

I thank God that He showed mercy to me by allowing me to live in the age of grace and faith.

I am curious. You sound as if you would prefer to live under the O.T. Law. Is that true?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I live under grace and within the laws commands. While the law never saved, the true believer is one who keeps those commands. Not being under the laws jurisdiction does not release me from its morality. As a matter of fact my salvation validates the law of God through my seeking obediance to it. So no the law was never harsh even from a humans perspective. David loved the law and mediated on it day and night and was called a man after God's heart. Salvation has always been by grace through faith even under the OT. The obediance to God's commands shows that faith is real and that salvation has taken place. If a person is not keeping the commandments and says he knows God he is a liar and the truth is not in him. 1John 2:4 Also they do not love the Lord. John 14:15
    The law of God for the true believer is his delight sought after out of love for His Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.