1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT Names of God

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done studies (for classes I've taught) on the wonderful theology within the Old Testament names of God. Then combining some together they become even more personal and encouraging.

Now that I'm fighting another health challenge, I am reminded to pray to YHWH Rophe - the Lord who heals. ALL healing is from God, at his sovereign command to these irritating molecules in my foot . . and I must plead and pray to YHWH Rophe while being submissive to His will.

Any name/title of God from the OT that is special for you?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

God doesn't have a name. The OT has descriptions, but not names. In college, we did an interesting study about the origin of the word "Yahweh". Did y'all know that it's not originally a Hebrew word? It's a borrowed phrase from the Egyptian, and roughly translates to "The Almighty", or, in simpler terms, "The God". (Borrowing words from other cultures was not unusual. For example, in English, we have borrowed words like hello, rendezvous, and quid-pro-quo.).

In the story of Moses and the burning bush, when God is asked what his name is, he replies in Hebrew, hayah asher hayah, which is translated "I will be what I will be" (the KJV translates it "I am that I am"). God tells Moses to tell them Hayah (to be) has sent him. In other words. God is. He's not a specific name, he just is.

3. fgm

fgm New Member

I do favor the "I AM" statement that the Lord God[Jesus]told Moses in Exodus chapter 3.Jesus Himself confirms this statement made to Moses in John chapter 8.[8:58]
    I also like the name Elohim.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

YHWH-m'kaddesh! The LORD who sanctifies (Exodus 31:13.)

Pete

5. Sola-Scriptura

Sola-Scriptura New Member

Jeremiah 23:6
    In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell safely; Now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.[23:6 Hebrew [YHWH Tsidkenu]

My heart races when I think about Him becoming sin, who new no sin, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him!(2 Cor. 5:21) [​IMG]

6. Xenos

Xenos New Member

El-day-aw' is a very interesting name of God. He is the God of Knowledge.

All knowledge proceeds from Him therefore He is declared as the all-knowing God.

Yet even more wonderful, He knew me before the foundation of the world.

Happy Valley Baptist Bible College