1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

other religuous music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by UnchartedSpirit, Mar 14, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

even if it's in a language we don't understand, is it okay to listen to, say (and example), Nigerian muslim music if you like it?

2. standingfirminChrist

3. UnchartedSpirit

4. standingfirminChrist

Everything we do should be pleasing to God. I do not think the music of pagan people who do not even worship Him is pleasing to Him.

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

UnchartedSpirit is it the beat and the instuments you like? If so why not try and take that part and write Christian lyrics (about the soul saveing blood of Jesus). I like the song "Old Time Rock and Roll" (not the lyrics but the beat) so what else could I do.....I wrote alternate lyrics.

Just take that bible off the shelf....
    sit down and read it, with the Lords help...
    Jesus blood can cleanse your soul
    Jesus lives and that "rock did roll" (referring to the resurection)

6. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I could go either way on this one.

I almost never buy secular music anymore or listen to it. Even though a lot of Contemporary Christian Music is all fluff, I find that listening to too much of the "other stuff" affects me spiritually.

The stuff secular music is about usually isn't edifying or glorifying to God.

I said this about movies in an earlier forum and I'll say this about music. I think the old cliche' "You are what you eat." is applicable when it comes to what you watch, listen to, read, talk about, etc. If all you are listening to is Nigerian Muslim music, then I would say turn it off. Some people it wouldn't be wise for them to listen to, depending on their background. For other people it is probably ok. Just like in the Bible where Paul said eat anything without raising questions of conscience, but if the person tells you the meat has been sacrificed to idols, then don't eat it. Not for your sake, but for their sake.

If the reason you posted the question is because you are trying to justify listening to it, then maybe you shouldn't. That's the safest bet.

Let me ask you this. I saw that your profile said you go to an American Indian Baptist church. Would you think there was anything wrong with listening to tribal american indian music that you don't understand?

music4Him no you didn't! [​IMG]

Tell me you don't like "Pharoah Pharoah" and other equivalent songs. They used to make us sing that stuff in youth group, I guess because they thought it would appeal to us. I still have nightmares about singing those songs! :D :D
    I also remember that at a youth conference they had us sing "Get By With a Little Help from My Friends" several times. I think they removed the part that said "get high" from it, but I can't remember.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Here's one we did in our old church...

((To the tune of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"))

Amazing grace
    How Sweet the Sound
    Grace that saved a wretch like me
    I was lost one time
    But now I'm found
    I was blind
    But now I see

chorus

Now I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know God won't let me down
    Now that He's set me on solid ground

bridge

Oh Lord, You search my heart and know me
    You are the lover of my soul
    By Your blood You have redeemed me
    By Your stripes I've been made whole

...and so forth

Now Playing: The Who - "The Who Sell Out"

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or any of the music and new lyrics of Apologetix.

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Oh yes I did! and I sang it at a Baptist church that my husband and I went to when we first came to the area.

But in all sincerity.... I don't think its the music thats the problem its mainly the lyrics. If you don't know what they are singing the words could be harmful to your spirit.

"Pharoah Pharoah" Oh, oh, let my people go! Yeah... yeah, yeah, yeah! [​IMG] *nodding to the beat. :D

10. UnchartedSpirit

yes it is the rythem I like, sometimes it's just the music and no words, but even so I don't want to write in their place.

I've heard "Amazing Grace" in Chocktaw, I like it a lot.

11. vermae

vermae New Member

If God called you home right now what kind of music would you like Him to catch you playing?We are to walk in Jesus's foot steps And I don't think He played or sang anything like this awful stuff today.

12. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

My Two Cents...

Irregardless of the Musical Style the music is in...

First, you admit it is Muslim in origin. Islam is anti-Christ in theology...

Secondly, even if you do not understand the words there is a Spiritual Component to the Music...

In simplest terms, your enjoyment of the Musical Style relaxes your Spiritual Warning System and would allow your being influenced by a spirit not from God...

I don't care if you are Pentecostal, Spirit-Filled, or an extremely mature Pastoral expert...

You must consider the source of the music, especially Music in a style you like because of the Spiritual Component and the potential for there being an offensive spirit watching your listening to it...

If the Musical Style opens you up to the music you are in a very real sense inviting the enemy (spirit behind the music) to visit...

So, as much ae I am open minded about music...

I give this (particular) practice a very strong NO...

Mike Sr.