1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OTSbecomes Faith/Salem

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UZThD, May 31, 2006.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Oregon Theological Seminary has become a branch of Faith Seminary of Tacoma. Thus we now are TRACS accredited. We offer both residential and distance ed.

We have a good faculty. Wayne House (ThD. Concordia ) teaches most of the Theology. Derickson (PhD DTS) teaches Bible. Stanley (PhD Sheffield) teaches Greek and Hebrew grammar. Another Dallas PhD does Exegesis. I teach one Theology class per quarter and work with some distance learners.

Blessings,

Bill Grover, ThD.

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Bill,

Thanks for the news. I do have a question. As I understand, Faith (Tacoma) is a Lutheran seminary. How does this affect OTS? Please enlighten us on the relationship.

Thanks and best wishes.

Paidagogos

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Hi Bill,

OTS joining with Faith sounds like a really positive thing! It also sounds like you are enjoying being a seminary prof! What courses have you taught so far? Blessings.

Tom

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

---------------

Hi Paid

It is my understanding that Faith no longer is Lutheran. No faculty at Salem is a Lutheran. Our basic Theology text is Baptist. No distinctive Lutheran tenet (eg communication of attributes from Christ's divine nature to human as in Pieper and Chemnitz ) is a required belief of Salem faculty.

Blessings,

Bill

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

-------------

Hi Tom

As you may recall, I joined the faculty about six-eight months ago. The only residential course I have taught was a trial run for me "Introduction to Theological Research." The course is intended to teach students how to do Biblical and Theological research and how to report that in scholarly papers. Faith believes that many M.Div.l students lack skills in how to research and write, so a class is required in that. Such a course, it is hoped, will enhance scholarship in many other courses.

This school year I am scheduled to teach that course both in the Fall and Spring , and to teach also in the winter Trinitarianism(excited about that).

As for distance ed , I have been "teaching" (ie, supervising) Elements of Greek, Theology, Cults, and Bible Exposition.

Blessings,

Bill

6. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Congratulations, Bill. I am glad you have found the position you were looking for. Your Trinitarianism class students will be blessed!

DG :thumbs:

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

---

Thanks Dave. House surprised me when he OK'd my teaching Trinitarism. He usually teaches it. I respect Wayne very much, but he and I have different models of ontological Trinal relationships. His is more like Grudems. Faith calls the course Patrology, Christology, and Pneumatology. It is one of four required Theology courses.

How's the new ministry? Thawed out yet?

With gratitude for Christian friends,

Bill

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you are back!!!

Hey Bill,

I'm glad you took the time to visit the BB again. You have truly been missed. I know well what the first year teaching is like, and it can be incredibly rewarding as well as frustrating.

If you will, post the hyper-link to the new combined seminary so some of us who care can go there and look around.

By-the-by, I am moving forward on the volume of scholarly essays on life and legacy of John A. Broadus and his A Treatise on the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons. Pray for me. Being an editor to scholars, especially when some of them are your mentors, is like trying to heard cats. But, I do love is so!!

sdg!

rd

9. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Definitely thawed out... it's 94 here! Things are going well, but taking time, as expected.

SDG!

DG

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

---

Hi Roger

I think that you can find us at www.otsweb.org OR www.faithseminarysalem.com

The Tacoma school has a link to us I am told.

Blessings ,

Bill

11. Nord

Nord New Member

Bill,

Good to see you posting again. My prayers are with you regarding the health issues you mention on another thread. You are a wonderful success story of someone going on to earn a doctorate later in life (in spite of many obstacles), through a foreign equivalent of accredited program, and starting a second career in academia. :thumbs:

Nord (aka North. Could not use the name when I first tried to register here und so auf Deutsch).

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Thanks North

When I first met with House about a year ago, he gave little hope that I might teach residential courses. And I was happy just to do distance learning. But later House, knowing my enthusism for research and Trinal studies, opened up classroom opportunies. Possibly if I teach these courses multiple times, it will become easy. But right now I'm hustling to get lectures ready for 40 class hours on TRinitarianism next year.

I decided to have three emphases in every class save the last. (1) Students must be ready to discuss over 10 weeks 250 questions on our three texts , (2) We will develop an extensive outline to be used to prepare for a 2 1/2 hour, closed book, subjective exam, (3) Lectures as follows:

1) Trinal Models and Heresies,
    2) Immanent and Economic Trinal Relationships,
    3 Divine Nature and Attributes as Qualifying Relationships in God,
    4) Eternal Generation.
    5) Early Christological Heresies,
    6) Chalcedon and Constantinople,
    7) Logos Sarx Christology, 12 Representatives,
    8) Logos Anthropos Christology, 18 Representatives ,
    9) Review for Exam,
    10) Modern Problems in Pneumatology.

Should be a good course (I hope).

BLessings,