1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ouestion Regarding Medical School and Abortion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bible-boy, May 3, 2006.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I heard a claim that in order for a prospective Medical Doctor to graduate from Medical School they are required to perform an abortion. Is there any truth to that claim and if so where can I find facts to back it up?

Or is this claim only true for certain Medical Schools or med-students in certain specialized medical fields? Again, if so where can I find facts to back up the claim?

I don't want this to become a debate over abortion. I am just looking for answers to my questions and facts to back the claim. Therefore, if you don't know for certain and can't provide facts to back the claim please do not bother posting a reply. I need this info for a Christian Ethics class I am taking.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally not true.

There are few people qualified to be a medical doctors today and even fewer are willing devote years of training for such a demanding responsibility.
    Most medical schools are willing to listen to the ethical concerns of the student and find acceptable alternatives.

But doc's want to be prepared for all situations so they may want to observe or participate.

Rob

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

UoP link/source of quote

Doing a google search with the words "perform abortion graduate" will bring up information from a number of university and program policies. This one was first on the list.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am currently applying for Medical Schools and have studied the curriculum of many of them. I have never heard of this claim and don't see any reason why performing an abortion would be a requirement for graduation.

The interviews often have ethical questions about controversial issues like euthansia or making difficult ethical choices. I got one about stem cell research. They emphasize that there is no "right" answer per se but they want to know that you are able to think through the ethics, consider different factors and come to a position.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Thanks for the info, links, and research suggestion. I have found the information I need for class so I am closing this thread.

For the record no prospective medical doctor is required to perform an abortion in order to graduate from Medical School. The 1996 guidelines by the Accredation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) recommends that all residents receive abortion training. However, The guidelines also provide an opt-out for residents with religious or moral objections. Therefore, the medical school can not force them to perform an abortion. Likewise, residents at religious based medical schools who do not have religious or moral objections can not be prohibited from seeking and receiving abortion training at an outside institution.