1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our Heavenly Rewards Are Of Grace Too.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Aug 20, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. As we build on the foundation of Christ, some would build with lasting materials, gold, silver and precious stones. While others would build with perishable materials as wood, hay and straw.

2. Those who built with lasting material will receive a reward, while those who built with perishable will suffer loss of work, but still will be saved (1 Cor 3:15-17).

3. Yet the rewards we received for our quality in building are wholly of grace. We get no credit. Paul says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
    1 Cor 15:10 (ESV)

4. Why the same grace doesn't make us all contribute equal, quality, lasting material in our building, remains a mystery to me?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe any extra rewards other than "eternal life" in the world to come is in this life we receive the extra rewards. He who works much recieves much. I believe it is not. In Heaven, I believe we shall all be the same, no big I's or little you's. IMO

Matt 25:
    6: And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
    7: Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
    8: And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
    9: But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

#2 Brother Bob, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God gives us what we need to do the building, but it's our responsibility to use it correctly. This is how He chose to do it.
    Jesus said "seek first the kingdom", but too many times we seek our own desires first instead of Gods desires. He chooses to allow us to make our own decisions regarding what He has given us. When my son was young, I gave him an allowance. It was his choice to use it wisely or waste it.
    IMHO. :)

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen. Soli Deo gloria.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. I agree with it TC. I thought you were asking a question.

6. Accountable

Accountable New Member

If we are to believe this, that rewards are only given here, where are all of the crowns? I haven't see even one. They are future. The crown of life is only for those who love His appearing. Not for now.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What then does Paul mean by being awarded a crown of life by the righteous judge? (2 Tim 4:6-8)

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I like the allowance analogy. Maybe therein lies our answer. Help me, npetreley.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sorry, I have no answer except one bit of speculation. I suspect it's like election (pardon me, Amy, I know you don't believe this the same way I do, but maybe you'll get the analogy anyway). Just as we don't know why God chooses one person and not another, we also don't know why God chooses to work more brilliantly through one person than another. But we know He does use one person more than another. Remember, who makes one person to differ from another? Not us.

On a personal note, I used to wish God would use me in big powerful ways. Now, I'm just happy if He uses me at all. I don't know if He does any good through me or not, but if so, to Him be the credit and glory for the good stuff. I'll take the blame for the bad stuff.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Me...pardon you? Nah. :laugh:

Actually I agree with what you said. You have a good point about God using some people in big ways. I am also thankful He uses me at all. I can't explain God's decision though.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen and Amen. What do I have that I have not recieved? Soli Deo Gloria.

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Whichever -- we'll let you know it too!! You got some of both, bro! :laugh:

skypair

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, this is the reason we will all "cast our crowns at His feet," Rev 4:10!

But there is really no mystery kept from the church, bro. You can't build with what you won't keep. If you choose to keep wood, hay, and stubble -- that's what you build with (men's thoughts, men's wisdom, and men's glory). If you choose the gold, silver, and precious stones (GOD's thoughts, wisdom, and glory), you'll also build with them!

Men's wisdom is going away at the JSOC -- "up in smoke!" Choose right materials -- choose grace!!

skypair

#13 skypair, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In another place Paul says, "According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds on it" (1 Cor 3:10, emphasis mine).

2. Not was grace extended to Paul in building, but we must argue for equal grace to the other builders. Yet Paul issues a warning as to how others build.

3. The same grace but not necessarily the same results.