1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our Irish Thanksgiving Outreach as suggested elsewhere

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 24, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In another thread I mentioned our annual Thanksgiving Open House outreach and Oldtimer asked what we do.

We have been in Ireland since 1995, but only in Naas, the town we live now, since 1998. The one bit of Americanism we held on to has been Thanksgiving. Our first Thanksgiving in Naas we were still trying to break down some barriers with our neighbours and overcome some of the suspicions of being 'those American Baptists.'

We decided that we would open up our home to friends and neighbours Thanksgiving Open House and share desserts, tea, and coffee with them. It was primarily just to begin to put people at ease an open doors to chat with them. Though we have not, as far as we know, seen anyone saved directly because of the outreach it has traditionally opened opportunities to share the gospel and some of the folks who have come have indeed been saved and are in our church.

Our motive though is just to be open and sharing and show people that we love them and are thankful they are our friends and neighbours. In addition to the large family which gathers for dinner we would have 30-40 friends call in for tea.

Now that we have a small church they tend to come and it is more than just our family being a witness. I think we have about 40 or so here Thursday night in our rather small house. We don't have a sit down dessert, but folks come and go throughout the evening.

It is a highlight of our family and church year.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thank you, Roger, for starting this thead and sharing.

I think I'd like to start something like this, too. The though is too new, right now, to know what, when, how. Need to pray about it, first and foremost. At any rate, you've given me a lot to think about.

While it's too late for Thanksgiving, this year, there are other opportunities on the calendar. Especially those times when the "community" isn't as inclusive as happens in November.

Again, thank you. Looking forward to more thoughts from you and others, as this thread progresses.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving works well for us here because it is so unusual. Everyone like to go back and 'brag' to their friends that they went to an American Thanksgiving and had pumpkin pie :).

I think it is an adaptable idea though.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

C4K,
    Thank you for posting this thread. I am fascinated by the traditions of other places and how they celebrate important occasions. The only place I have been near you is Scotland.