1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our neighborhood

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Beth, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

We live on a winding road, which is semi rural. Because of the nature of our road, we haven't had an opportunity to meet and witness to all our neighbors up and down the road.

At this time, we are burdened to change that. This past weekend, we printed up flyers and have invited the entire neighborhood to our house in two weeks for a Sunday dessert and coffee afternoon! I walked door to door this past Saturday, and had to chuckle over the various reactions...ranging from friendly to plain horrified at being approached, LOL! Many folks around here like to go for YEARS without saying hi to the neighbors!!!

We are praying that we can make progress with these folks to get to know them and share the gospel with them.

If you wouldn't mind praying for our effort, we would be much appreciated. The scheduled get together is Sunday, November 9th.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Great idea Beth. It is a good think to get to know your neighbors with the hopes reaching them with the Gospel. May God bless your efforts.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I could only imagine!! We aren't the neighbors we used to be.

I hope things go well for you and will be praying for you.

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

What a great idea! May God bless this time!

5. Beth

Beth New Member

Five families

Six families came and enjoyed some dessert...five of the ladies all want to have a neighborhood coffee clatch once a week...so I think this afternoon set the stage for relationships to develop! Two of the women are saved, while the other three are not.

Thank you for praying!

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Boom. There it is!

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Praise God Beth - thank you for being willing to serve!

8. TrustingInHim

TrustingInHim New Member

This was a great idea! I praise God also for His faithfulness in answering your prayers. I live on a rural highway, and neighbors are somewhat spaced apart. My close neighbor has a small horse farm and my girls and I have gotten to know them a bit, but they've declined all invitations to church. :( It's been a long time since I've had them over to eat, so thanks for giving me some motivation! :)

9. Beth

Beth New Member

New Hampshire is really hard!!!

New England is really difficult!

I have to share with you an interesting story, TrustingInHim...We just had our mission week, which was really fun. One night, my friend hosted the missionary wives at her house for a dinner. She graciously invited me as well. I got to talking to one sister who works with her husband in Scotland. When I asked her what it was like in Scotland, this is what she said...see if THIS doesn't sound familiar...:laugh:

She said the Scots are very tough to get to know. They generally do NOT accept outsiders. It takes years before your neighbors talk to you. They are VERY independent, and generally have an unspoken rule to never discuss religion or politics! They are also very reluctant to ask for help, perferring to handle things on their own....now, doesn't that sound like the old "yankees" of New England??? I had to chuckle after she told me this, because she definitely was describing my own neighbors!

How rural are you? Do you have animals? We only have chickens...right after we moved into this house, the three story barn fell down, lol!! If it hadn't fallen, I would have gotten a family cow by now. Our farmhouse is old, built around 1860.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

10. TrustingInHim

TrustingInHim New Member

Ah, yes.... well, they don't call it "New" England for nothing! :laugh: I've spoken with someone from Wales and others from England, including a couple in our church, and the UK is a very difficult climate to win the lost for Christ. Yet I have a real affinity for the people, they can be quite charming!

Yes, NH is tough. I live on a state highway, so the 'neighborhood' affect is lost. But I'm right off from I-93. So I don't feel really rural. It's pretty nice here.

Sorry about your barn!!! They are neat but expensive to maintain, especial old ones. Glad your cow survived! :) Is she a milk cow?

As far as animals go, we have a little dog and that's it for now. :) My 12 yr. old has had hamsters and a hermit crab, lol. They didn't last terribly long though. I'm allergic to a lot of animals so that keeps us pretty boring. My neighbors keep and board a few horses, have several dogs and used to keep chickens in the past. They had hogs for awhile but those were so smelly it even drove them nuts! Also tried a goat one time that kept getting loose and coming over to our house. The poor thing kept chewing through everything they had, so he didn't stay around long. Ours is a horse friendly community and that is the animal we see the most.

Hope you are keeping warm in this cold weather!
    Your sis in Christ,
    Christy