1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our Papa

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TomMann, Jul 6, 2006.

1. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Our Papa was a small town doctor who establised practice in 1948, the year I was born. He was hospitalized on May 10th and spent his last days in the place he spent many many hours of his adult life, in this small town's hostital. He maintained grace and digity and a sense of humor. A new nurse who had heard many many stories about him, met him one morning and told him on their meeting that she had heard many folks talk of him and had never heard a negative comment. He grinned and simply said she had not been talking to the right people.

Papa was well loved and we are hearing story after story from so many people about our Papa Doc.... Had a fellow who called to tell me about Papa saving his life in 1953, and another in 1958, and 1964 etc... Many others who he cared for the years have expressed similar gratitide. Best we can figgure, he delivered over 3000 babys of whom my wife was one. The first was a young man named Mike. Mike was in marine corp boot camp in the late 60's when his drill instructor called him into the office for a phone call... It was Dad, wishing him happy birthday. He called Mike every year. He was never too busy and nothing was more important than being a help in time of need. Papa's new battle with cancer was going to take him in a slow and possibly painful way.... so we count that the Lord spared him that.

Please feel free to cry with us.... as all who were touched by him will do, and then laugh with us as we remember the spirit that he carried and conveyed to all..... Papa would spend the night at the hospital holding the hand of a sick patient who was a nobody to the rest of the community, And then go to work the next day without a thought for himself. One fellow here told me about how Dad used to come over to their house in the middle of the night to treat "us kids" for various ailments....... knowing that he would never be paid a dime...... Papa recieved many awards and recognitions in his life, from the community, the schools, the Boy Scouts, etc. In october of 1992 he closed his practice due to illness (pancreatic cancer). The town declared October 11th 1992 "Dr. Mann Appreciation Day" and over 400 of our town showed up to express their love. The five of us sons were all there......, one of the few times we have been all together thru the years. Papa was a unique gentle man who was known and loved for the way he was in the shadows, and not just in the spotlight.......

Papa took his final journey at Fourth of July. This isn't a prayer request but prayers are always appreciated. Just wanted to share with you a bit of what God has shared with us.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:tear: I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May God keep you and your family strong.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im sorry for your loss.......

He sounds like a great papa!

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

I am sorry.
    What a wonderful man!

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My condolences to you and yours. He was truly a light in darkness.

Praying... :praying:

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My deepest condolences to you and your entire family.