1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outlawing Abortion Doesn't Reduce Frequency

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Study shows legality of abortion has no bearing on frequency of the procedure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21255186/

Excerpt:

LONDON - Women are just as likely to get an abortion in countries where it is outlawed as they are in countries where it is legal, according to research published Friday.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not surprised. Only the gospel of Christ Jesus in changing hearts can really stop abortion.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I question the research findings. I just don't think we should blindly accept something quite so illogical.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, it's very logical. Did prohibition stop alcohol? Has illegality stopped drugs? Demand remains, only with abortion, you have the unintended consequence of women dying from illegal abortionists botching the job.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

My concerns with your statements:
    1. Having a few shots of whiskey and having an abortion are two different things. Not sure the comparison holds up right there. One is a recreation/indulgence....the other is certainly not that.
    2. "Illegality will increase illicit demand." Then why not make everything legal? Some things should be illegal, because they are objectively wrong.
    3. The "back alley" and "coat hanger" horror stories are indeed gruesome...but I wonder about death rates and such. It's difficult enough these days with legal abortion to find out how many women are injured or worse. What would the numbers be? I don't know...not sure we can know. I do feel certain that if abortion was outlawed, the number of deaths would decrease dramatically. Probably by half or so. :saint:

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has making murder illegal eliminated murder? Has making robbery illegal eliminated robbery?

And are you saying the number of abortions per pregnancy in the USA is the same now as it was in 1957? Abortion is illegal in Ireland-- are there as many abortions per pregnancy there as in UK? Italy? France?

7. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I don't think whether laws have stopped these things or not is the question; the question is whether they reduce how often these events occur. And in the case of prohibition and drugs they did, though some believe not enough, and there were other consequences, such as bootlegging, loss of regulation, the incredible expense of failing enforcement, etc.

Assuming the laws could be enforced to some degree, I hold it a sad but worthwhile trade to give the lives of an unknown but surely smaller number of women dying in the act of attempted murder for the lives of millions of innocent babies who are the target of murder for convenience.

Even if the laws cannot be enforced, or even if law makes no impact on the rate at which women murder their children through abortion, this "procedure" is an evil act that we must stand against. We should not give up a moral and biblical stance so that murderers can act in safety.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't allow the enemy to put this nonsense in your head. This is a favorite method to fool even the elect. MSM says it won't save lives to outlaw abortion, so it follows that we'll keep it legal.
    If nothing else just the illegality of it will stop many many abortions. Just like prohibition stopped many many people from drinking. And don't believe the lie to the contrary on that either.

Putting American jurisprudence on the right side of the abortion issue is a very important step in the right direction.

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A terrible consequence of abortion is the havoc on the woman who have them. It's almost never discussed, but many of these women lead whole lives filled with guilt and sorrow over it. There are countless stories of their guilt preventing them from relationships with the Lord, and that is a tool satan wields very successfully.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe so, but it would certainly eliminate all government funding.:thumbs:

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Thus eliminating frequency. Women should be shown what abortion looks like and just what is getting aborted.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just the fact that this is so opposed is telling, is it not?

Interesting that the dillemma of prohibition is always thrown up to show that, "--- is gonna happen anyway, so just legalize it!"

I won't even comment on the ramifications of this idiotic philosophy!:confused:

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These scare tactics don't work. It's like showing teenagers dead bodies from car crashes the week before Prom Night or Graduation Night. They may think about it for a few days, but their convictions haven't been changed. No long term committments are made.

Showing a woman what an aborted fetus looks like while she is deliberating getting one or not is not an effective tool in the fight against abortion. More often than not, she will get the abortion anyway and then have deep-rooted psychological problems from the memories of the horror pictures for decades.

The root of the problem lies in changing people's hearts. You cannot legislate the heart, only the behavior.
    • Men must be taught to respect women to the point where sex is only a matter between a husband and wife. And they must be taught to respect women enough that when they do become fathers, that their entire belief system about "manhood" changes.
    • Women must be taught the respect themselves enough that if she is alone for the weekend or for her lifetime.....that she believes that she is a worthy human being all by herself. Women must be taught that sex is not the measure of their worth.
    • Marriage must become a sacred institution again.
    • Parenthood must become a sacred institution again.
    Until the sanctity of life, marriage, and respect of self and others is increased, abortions will still continue. Legally or illegally.

Scare tactics only horrify for the moment. Being scared doesn't change your heart. It only makes you scared.

Abortion is an obscene act engaged in by pitiful and desperate women. After the abortion, they will still be pitiful and desperate. Far too many women have found the hard way that abortions do not solve their problems.

But if we do not address the issues I listed above, then we are not taking the bull by the horns.

We are tackling the problem at the wrong end.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

What societhy doesnt need to do is justify abortion by legalizing it. Laws are never for people with convictions. They are to protect the innocent from those who have none. "can't legislate morality" Silly really.

All laws are based on morality. Rather than working on the problem from only one end how about going at it from both ends so that the unborn get protections in the mean time.

Calling informed disclosure "scare tactics" doesnt make much sense either.

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just personally feel that showing women and girls pictures of aborted fetuses is not "informed disclosure". Informed disclosure is correct and genuine non-propaganda information from a pastor, doctor, nurse, teacher, Sunday School teacher, mother, father, spiritual advisor, or any reputable source with the intent of dissemination of information only.

Showing pictures of disembodied fetuses is meant only to illicit fear and revulsion and disgust.

If I had a daughter and someone showed her these pictures, I would come out swinging. :saint:

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is only silly in the mind of an authoritarian, such as an Iranian mullah. That's some company you keep politically, Timmy.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Women should know what a slaughtered unborn child looks like. In other words they need to see the reality of what it is they are considering to do. They need to see the end results of this godless and horrific crime against humanity and sin against God. They need to see the consequences of their selfish choice.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you feel that these women who view the graphic pictures of scrambled fetuses will refrain from having an abortion?

I'm telling you....this tactic does not work. I've worked with young people for over 25 years. I've seen the photos of aborted babies, photos of premature babies dead from drug and alcohol addicted mothers, dead people from car crashes, audiotapes of "screaming" fetuses, graphic and inappropriate testimony from law enforcement aimed at scaring kids off of drugs and all kinds of horrific and sensationalistic media presentations aimed at young people.

When I was a young person myself, the police came to our school and injected white rats with LSD.

I'm telling you based on my authority, these approaches do not work. Young people today are so saturated with the gross and profane horror movies, video games, and sensationalistic "entertainment" that it all goes in one ear and out the other.

Their hearts must be changed. Their convictions must be grounded in Christ Jesus.

Besides, think of how many people around the world believe that abortion is an abomination without having to look at the pictures.

#18 Scarlett O., Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Your argument is rather contradictory. First you argued that it would make you angry as if somehow it was bad. Now you say they are desensatized so much that it would not make a difference. Which is it?

And by the way a woman should be fearful of abortion, they should be revulsed at abortion and they should be disgusted at abortion. By your own words this would have the very effect they need. At this point however iZ ma not sure wether you believe it would or not. You seem to be back and forth on this.

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

It's both.

It is bad to show these pictures. Some young people are frightened, but NOT changed. Only frightened. Many other people today, including young people, are so calloused towards media images like this that is only serves to make people disgusted and yes, even entertained, but not changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.