1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outrageous! You WILL be offended!

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by windcatcher, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Caution: Article can be read without watching video as the video has it's own control. Video is offensive (nudity)....but more so is the conduct of those in whom we put our trust.

Story here:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82447

When we who are not the recipient of injustice become as indignant and ally with those who are: then and only then can true justice prevail.

2. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Wow. If that was my wife I would probably be in jail right now.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that we have the whole story yet.

4. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

It sounds like the woman on the video was attacked, then gave the wrong ID (the driver's liscense of her dead sister) to the officer. She tried to get the wrong ID back and give him hers but he refused. Then, magically, the dashboard cam goes "off," so there's no proof as to why the officer arrested the woman in the video.

They then took her to the jail and asked her if she had weapons or sharp objects or if she wanted to harm herself. She asked "Now or ever?" Her simple and benign clarification question was clearly misinterpreted by the officers because they forcefully put her on the ground and started removing her clothes. This county (and most counties for that matter) stipulate that strip searches are only performed by deputies of the same sex as the one being searched, which was clearly violated here.

Not only that, but they wouldn't tell her what they were doing or why. They then left her in the cell for 6 hours with not clothes on, so she covered herself with toilet paper to keep warm and avoid further embarassment.

You know, it is clear who is at fault here. Even if she did committ a crime, they obviously treated her completely inappropriately.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps.

I don't believe we know all the facts.

6. Chessic

Chessic New Member

As I watch the joy in her lawyer's leering face I can't help but think how stupid it is to scream and kick at the police. A more calm approach might have solved the entire issue. I don't believe the cops suddenly jumped her when she answered "Now or ever?" when they asked if she had thought of hurting herself.

That is certainly a biased story. I hope the truth comes out, whatever it may be.

In the mean time, congratulations to the new millionaires!

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Unwarranted abuse and her civil rights were violated. Hopefully she gets a huge settlement. Everyone involved should be fired.

8. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

If they thought she was suicidal I can see not giving her back her clothes. However, when I worked in a jail we had paper gowns for those people. They could have at least given her that. Of course that is assuming they had them. I agree though we dont know all the facts.

Secondly, in both jails I worked at ONLY women were allowed in the room with other women in strip searches. There is no reason for a male cop, guard whatever to strip down a woman. We may not have all the facts, but I dont believe there is ANY excuse for this for any reason.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

This is ridiculous, I don't care how many facts we have or don't have. Women being stripped searched by men, and left naked for 6 hours, needing medical attention is ridiculous, and I hope she wins hugh amounts of money.
    I've never heard of them taking away all of a persons clothing for a holding cell, they only take your belt, and shoe strings.

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I agree!

It is ALLEGED that the police were beligerant once in possession of her deceased sister's I-D, and it appears to follow that though this implied some explanation, they were unreceptive to LISTEN.

It is not clear what the 911 call concerned except that she was with her cousin who called the police after she was involved in or the recipient of some attack.

It is not clear if she was sober or drunk.
    It is not clear whether the police investigated or jumped to conclusions at the scene, based, perhaps, on the surroundings, her appearance and agitation or emotional upset:

HOWEVER:
    Police don't transport BEFORE assuring themselves that all sharps, weapons, and chemicals have first been removed.
    IF it is determined that a strip search is necessary it is unprofessional to involve persons of the opposite sex.
    IF a person is deemed to be under chemical influence, or emotionally out of control and IF there is a reasonable question as to whether or not the person might be suicidal, emergency rooms and acute psychiatric receiving facilities are available for assessing the emotional state, administering antidotes or calming agents and returning to police custody with observation recommendations.
    If it is necessary, due to suicidal concerns, to take a person's clothes, a paper gown should have been provided: A paper sheet could have also been provided. Frequent checks every 15 mins, or constant observation if the potential of self harm persist, which could involve the paper coverings provided.

The woman in the video was upset, asking why and asking for help. Never once did I hear any attempt to explain to her what was being done or instructing her how to cooperate. A rational and incontrolled person is not going to understand the need for a strip search if it begins or proceeds without explanation. A person already upset by some prior altercation, is likely to persist in the emotional shock of the initiating situation and is slower to understand instruction, being less rational. But this is aggravated further by professionals, who should be self-aware and accustomed to self control, if they are hasty in communicating their authority and control without opening communication channels with their charge.

And, unfortunately, yes it is likely such occurs across this nation in a few police departments, but the recipients have no voice as there were no cams or witnesses to come forward to corroborate a complaint. Hopefully this will have an adjustment on this department..... and the repercussions will be heard in every department across the nation to improve the assessment of force, and the extent to which additional precautions are necessary. If this lady was already a victim of a crime.... it is pathetic that she was victimized, violsted, and humiliated further by the actions of law enforcement.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I finally got the video to play, and that is sick, even claiming, well we don't know all the facts, is horrendous. Can you imagine, your the victim of an assualt and they arrest you and strip search you and leave you naked. I don't care why! It si against the law for men to strip search women, and we can see that with our own eyes.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The video generated the intended precipitous reaction.

13. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

I agree. Clothes are always taken on suicidal people in both jails I've been in. But there are always paper cloths or clothes to cover up with too.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sheriff says it was not a strip search.

He says she was told to disrobe and put on jail togs. She refused.

Of course, she says she was never told to disrobe.

Could this all have been a result of her cutesy remark about being suicidal?

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt until proven other wise. But I am having trouble with this.

#15 Revmitchell, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  16. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Of course they did. Because police never lie. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter. Women are to be strip searched by women. They violated her civil rights, humiliated her, abused their power, and sounds like they beat her, by her injuries. No matter what she did, they are to protect and serve us.
    They were way out of line and deserved to be fired.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do prisoners.:rolleyes:

18. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

She has video proof they were abusing their power and men were present during the strip search. They were wrong and she has the proof.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She doesn't have video proof for what led to the forcible disrobing.

This incident took place in 2006.

(Sheriff)"Swanson's statement said his office investigated an incident involving Steffey. She was charged and later convicted in Alliance Municipal Court of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, he said.

"We have answered all inquiries by the attorneys and we are prepared to proceed in a court of law, NOT IN THE MEDIA," Swanson said in a statement.

He declined to comment further, citing the pending allegations.

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Wholeheartedly agree. However, this video was slanted toward the victims side of the story. Just the fact that she was humiliated by being stripsearched by male police officers would be enough for be to sue the pants off that county. There are obviously many aspects of this story that we dont know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.