1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Own a genuine 1611 KJV...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Hort wrote to Dr. Rowland WILLIAMS October 1858;
    "I have a deeply rooted agreement with High Churchmen as to the church,Ministry,Sacraments,and above all Creeds...The positive doctrines even of the Evangelicals seem to me perverted rather than untrue.There are I fear,still more serious differences between us on the subject of authority,and especially the authority of the Bible."
    From his own pen!The problem is authority!

2. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Not hot under the collar tyndale.Rejoicing in my Lord! Have a nice day

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Steve, your lack of providing footnotes is speaking volumes. Instead of just the quote, please include the source it came from.

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Steve, again *verifiable*. I want the book and page of *Westcott's* book where the quote *comes from*. Does Brady provide that, so we can *verify* the quote from Westcott's own writings? I'm sorry, but I've learned through experience not to trust quotes from certain authors without verifying them from the original sources to see context, etc.

I'm not at home at the moment, and I can't remember all the ones exactly without checking my library. I have Riplinger's "New Age Bible Versions", and I have ordered about 10 Ruckman books, including the one on the NIV, from ebay that should be arriving any day now. I have access to Gipp's "The Answer Book", as it is online. As for books you didn't mention, I have Fuller's "Which Bible", Waite's "Heresies of Westcott and Hort", "The Revision Revised" and "Causes of Corruption of the New Testament Text" by Burgon, and several others I can't recall at the moment.

As for books from the "other side" of the debate, I have James White's "King James Only Controversy", "The Making of the NIV" by the NIV translation committee, and quite a few others I can't recall at the moment. I also have about 12 books written by Westcott and/or Hort, so I can look up their "quotes" directly.

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Vaticanus and sinaiaticus disagree in over3000 places in the gospels alone and yet the modern versions claim their text comes from there and make reference to them over and over again while ignoring over 6000 manuscripts that agree.I hope none of you are gamblers because you are betting on a lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng shot. Have a nice day

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Reference. The quote is not enough, we need book and page number from Hort's writings. Where does this quote come from, so we can examine it in context?

7. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Thanks for proving my point Kal el."NO PROOF"
    Do you have the book final authority?

[ January 13, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Bob 63 ]

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Please try to stick to one topic at a time, or start individual threads. Carrying on multiple debates at the same time in the same thread is too hard for me to keep track of. [​IMG]

9. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

CONTEXT?Good grief! I can read that and know the context. Book ?final authority

10. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Hello We are talking about bible versions here aren't we? I am not going to type all of the foot notes.Do some homework like I did. Get the books I listed and read them.Grady's stuff and others is available on biblebeliever.com

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

BrianT, the silence is deafening. It isn't as though you and I haven't asked for the original source. I suppose it is easier to just use other humans as the final authority and not actually engage debate.

Steve K, check you PMs before you post again.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, Why the evasion? You have been asked to document your sources and now you attempt to change the subject.

As a matter of fact, the above contains several falsehoods that you know are falsehoods. MV's do not come from Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. They come largely from the NA or UBS texts. These give weight to these two old witnesses but attempt to evaluate all of the available evidence.

13. BrianT

BrianT New Member

How can you know the context of Westcott's "quote" without reading the surrounding text that Westcott wrote around the "quote"?

Steve, all I'm asking you to provide is the book and page number of Westcott's writings that Brady says the quote comes from. I'll do the work from there. At most, you have to type 10 words and a number. Why is this difficult for you? I'm giving you the easy job in this debate! :D

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

So you can't just tell us the original source? We have to all buy Grady's book? Why don't you cooperate with the discussion?

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. One of the major charges from KJVO's is that MV supporters are trusting men. Yet here is Steve demonstrating that he has blindly accepted the opinions of men, not founded in scripture, without checking them out thoroughly.

This probably would have gone better for Steve if he had just said, "I don't have any original sources. These quotes came from authors that support my KJVO pre-suppositions so I take it on faith that they are being truthful."

[ January 13, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Scott J ]

16. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

62hort,life and letters of hort 2:49-50
    have a nice day

17. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Thank you scott for backing my thesis. "NO PROOF< NO PROOF"

18. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Whew, was that so hard? :D Now give me some time, I don't have that particular book in my library, but I'll try to track it down. (By the way, which of the previous "quotes" you gave is this reference for?)

In the mean time, want to provide the same sort of reference for another "quote"? Or you can wait until tonight, and I'll provide a listing of all the Westcott/Hort books I own so you can pick a quote from a book I already have.

19. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

life and leters of wescott1;33
    " "1;34
    " "1;60
    " "1;189
    " "2;49,253,394
    life and letters of hort 1;136
    go get em!

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, my proof comes from the scriptures and from my study of the subject. It has been my consistent observation that those opposing KJVOnlyism document their sources and don't over-reach while KJVO's routinely obscure their sources and persistently embellish/misquote/misapply sources.