1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oxford Graduate School

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin Oxford Response

Martin,

Hello, how are you?

Yes I have heard of them. I had a friend recommend me to them in years gone by. I even received a very handsome scholarship from them. I did investigate them and all of their programs.

I am assuming you have in mind the Oxford Graduate School in E. TN just north of Chattanooga?! Yes?! If not then all of my comments are bogus!!:laugh:

I found the amount of work that they required to be quite stiff and challenging. They are primarily based on a combination of the British and American models of education combining tutorials/seminars and the "writing for a degree" model. If I have understood them correctly. I did not look into it deeply but it seemed quit complicated to me.

They specialize on the integration of Christian World View & Ethics into all disciplines across the board: politics, medicine, social work, society, et al, etc. Most who come there to do doctoral work generally have a doctorate or professional proficiency in some other area although all do not. Most of their profs also are credentialed with other doctorates like: EdD, PhD, ThD, even some DMin(s) if I remember correctly.

In the end I decided not to do the degree for a few reasons:

1. I had been on the road doing academic work and was tired and "was getting on in years."

2. It was very expensive even when I looked at it years ago.

3. It was unaccredited.

4. I figured that an RA and ATS accredited Doctor of Ministry degree from The University of the South (Sewanee) coupled with my PhD work at The University of Memphis would be worth more in the long run. And it has!!

5. I don't think anyone has ever been placed solely with the DPhil form the Oxford Grad School without other credentials also.

This is FYI!!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd