1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

P.O.D. turning Satanic!!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by JonathanDT, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Elvish_musician

Elvish_musician New Member

ok....
    i love POD and i believe they have a WONDERFUL message in their songs!! I even get the newsletters via-email..and the dude (Marcus) left to do a Solo-Album...like a LOT of artists of today...and i believe they do those shows to Witness to the unsaved ppl. at those concerts....i mean come on..have you accaully listened to their music...i have found nothing that says they are satanic! just take some time...and listen to what they are saying...truly listen w/ an open mind..and if you cant stand to do that..then read the lyrics...published lyrics..not what a "fan" entered ((they are normally screwed up!))
    why dont you go to their site : POD there's a link to it!
    [​IMG]

2. Preacher Nathan Knight

You expect people to take that site seriously?

[​IMG]

It says on the site that do not claim to believe that the sound clip is real. It is just simply there for "make up your own mind" purposes. They never endorsed it.

3. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Yes, it is excrement, and there is no better word to describe it. But thank you displaying how you come to baseless judgements against others.

No, I said it is a trial and not a debate because them's the facts. I don't have a position (other than to accept someone's word who professes Jesus as saviour until the evidence proves otherwise), and I am not making any claims. It is YOU who wants to play the role of judge, jury and executioner.

[ April 09, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Travelsong ]

4. Preacher Nathan Knight

To not have a position on this issue you sure have been really opinionated about it. You've tried to rake me over the coals a couple times. Aint it good that we can totally disagree with each other and still have a Christian love and for each other?

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

If you think that I didn't read any of that goofy site you're wrong. I read the whole thing. It's when I got to this part that I realised just how desperate this Terry Watkins mug is:

HAHAHA! You people expect to be taken seriously?

6. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I am strongly against legalism and the judgement of others without any evidence. That is not a position on the spiritual state of POD. It is how I feel about men taking God's place by trying to judge the minds and hearts of others.

Oh, absolutely. If the day of tribulation comes in our lifetime I will be standing next to you and Aaron and Su Wei without hesitation.

7. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Just the fact the fact that they consider it possible that it is real raises questions.

1 Then I saw (1) a new heaven and a new earth; for (2) the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. - Revelation 21:1 NASB

Doesn't make much sense that hell would be at the center of the earth if the earth will pass away.

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting point!

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Travelsong,

I once tried to detail the goofy things I found on av1611 in another thread. Here it is:

Among other things:

1) They claim that the Eagles are Satanists and that their name comes from their devotion to native American religions. They also claim that the building on the cover of "Hotel California" is really Anton Levay's Church of Satan.

The truth: They're not Satanists. They have denied this over and over and have admitted that they did nothing to discourage the rumors that they were Satanists because their manager thought it was good publicity.

Their name comes from an incident on a tour as Linda Ronstadt's backing band in which they ended up in the same hotel as the Philadelphia Eagles football club, who were in town for a game. The Eagles had taken over the hotel and the only way for Glen Frey to get room service was to call the desk and claim to be one of the Eagles. He and the other members of the band thought this was funny and the name stuck.

The building on the covers of Hotel California was the old Wilshire Beverly Hills, which had fallen into disrepair and that the band used as a metaphor for the disrepair California had fallen into as a result of the "sex, drugs and rock and roll" lifestyle. The song "Hotel California" is not about a drug trip or a Satamic occurance, as the folks on your website would have us believe. The song is a strong statement against materialism, casual sex and the rampant drug use that the band and many of their friends found themselves caught up in.

2) Alice Cooper is a Satanist and got his name from the disembodied spirit of a 17th century witch through a Ouija board.

The truth: Just as Ronnie Van Zandt is not "Lynyrd Skynrd" and Ian Anderson is not "Jethro Tull", Vince Furnier is not (or at least, was not) Alice Cooper.

Vince Furnier was the leader of a band who took their name from a character in an old, 50's B horror movie and made up the story about the witch and the Ouija board, again, for publicity.

When the band broke up, the rights to the name "Alice Cooper" were awarded to Furnier who kept the name. Over time, people gradually associated him with the name "Alice" and he ran with it.

Today, as folks on Baptist Board have heard me repeat 300 times, Alice is a born again Christian who is performing music with overtly Christian themes and has become an outspoken voice for Christ, as well as the unborn.

3) Brian Wilson hears voices. Therefore, he is evil.

The truth: There is, perhaps, no other fact in rock and roll so well known as that Brian Wilson suffers from schizophrenia and a host of disassociative disorders.

To label him "evil" or "Satanic" because of his illness is not only untrue, but cruel.

4) John "Ozzy" Osbourne and Jimmy Page are satanists.

The truth: According to Ozzy's wife/manager, Sharon, "Ozzy and I have no religious affiliation, Sataic or otherwise."

Jimmy Page has admitted that the rumors of his Satanism revolved around his real interest in spiritist, Alistir Crowley, but staunchly denies any involvement in Satanism.

5) They condemn the Christian rock band, Petra, for recording the KISS song, "God Gave Rock and Roll to You", yet Petra's version was recorded years before the KISS version.

6) They take a quote by bad Christian lounge singer, Carman, "It's all about the money" out of context in order to make it appear that he's condemning a Newsboys venture, yet their own footnotes show that Carman's own quote was made two years before the Newsboys thing.

7) They list David Pack, Barry Maguire, Bill Withers, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, David Wilcox, Phillip Bailey, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Grand Funk Railroad, Jimmie Davis, John Berry, Johnny Cash, Kansas, Social Distortion, U2, Van Morrison, and, as only the whackos they are can do, the Cookie Monster as being "Extremely anti-christ people".

The truth:

David Pack: Christian.

Barry Maguire: Christian (one of the first mainstream artists to proclaim his Christianity publicly)

Bill Withers: Christian (later became a minister)

Bob Dylan: Professed his Christianity in the early seventies and made several gospel albums. Even though he no longer speaks publicly about his beliefs, he is active in Messianic Christian circles.

Buddy Holly: Raised in a Christian home. Grew up singing in church. Don't know if he ever publicly professed Christ but he's hardly an "extremely anti-christ person".

David Wilcox: Christian. Even made a few Christian albums in the 80's

Phillip Bailey: Christian. Made several Christian albums in the 80's and early 90's.

Elvis Presley: Professed Christ. sang gospel music all his life. Through mental illness and drug addiction, fell into a sinful lifestyle. Hardly a shining example but even less so an "extremely anti-christ person".

Eric Clapton: Professed Christ in the early 70's and included many overtly Christian songs in his days with Blind Faith and solo. Turned away from Christ but, following the death of his son and largely through the ministry of Christian rocker,
    Dana Key, has expressed interest in Christianity.

Grand Funk Railroad: Two thirds of the band, Mark Farner and Donnie Brewer are Christians. Farner even had a successful CCM career in the 80's and early 90's.

Jimmie Davis: In addition to being the governor of Louisiana, he was a minister and prolific gospel songwriter.

John Berry: During his bout with cancer in the early 90's, John Berry was a terrific witness for Christ.

Johnny Cash: One of the most outspoken Christian artists ever. Several gospel albums and wrote an excellent biography of the Apostle Paul called "The Man in White"

Kansas: With Kerry Livgren, Dave Hope, Michael Gleason John and Dino Elefante, all Christians in the band and with a good chunk of their songs containing Christian (or at least Christian-like) lyrics, it's hard to understand why they would be considered "extremely anti-Christian people".
    All the above, except for Dave Hope, have gone on to successful careers in gospel music.

Social Distortion: While their style of music may be irritating to the more conservative Christian fundementalist, with 2/3 (Mike Ness and John Maurer) of the band being Christian, I think we can cross them off the list.

U2: Might be Christians, might not. They're lyrics are very sympathetic to Christian ideals, though.

Van Morrison: While he would appear to have turned away from Christianity, he did at one time profess Christ and even had a couple of CCM hits in the 80's, including "Whenever God Shines His Light"

The Cookie Monster: He's made no profession of faith but, despite spending time in Muppet rehab to battle a crippling cookie addiction, he seems to want to set an example for children that I think would be in line with Jesus' teachings.

I could go on and on but you get the point and we've all been through this a million times before.

The only thing that surprises me about that website is that they haven't had the pants sued off of them.

These guys love to quote the Bible but they always forget the verse that says that "The Lord hates a lying tongue".

10. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Post your evidence of this fantastic claim.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you serious?? Matthew 9, Matthew 11:19, Luke 9:5, Luke 7:37.

As much as you will hate to admit it, secondary sources are legitimate evidence. Your task is to descredit that evidence with better evidence of your own. That's how debate works. You don't get to summarily dismiss evidence simply because it doesn't convince you. You must work to build your case, too. That is if you want to be taken seriously. If you don't want to be taken seriously, then continue in your present course. </font>[/QUOTE]But the problem is the site takes quotes out of context, and it's references are almost impossible to verify. Now if you want to post the entire interview that they're taking the quotes from, then I would accept that. But selected, edited quotes just aren't reliable from av1611.org. BTW, I have posted evidence. I have posted links to interviews, I have offered to post lyrics, and I have posted my personal experiences from POD's concerts. Now if only the other side would do as much...

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be my question to you.

I don't see anywhere that Jesus "hung out" with sinners. I see that He was hanged in my place, but he was NOT a companion of sinners.

Be not deceived, evil communications corrupt good manners.

12. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For everyone, these are the verses the JDT posts as evidence. (Forgive that i did not post the whole of Matthew 9)

Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Luke 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

Luke 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,

13. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

LOL, oops, Luke 9:5 was a typo, just a sec, let me figure out what I wanted...Ahhh, Luke 19:5. When Jesus went to that sinner Zacchaeus's house for the day. And all the people muttered "he is going to the house of a sinner." Much like many on here are muttering "they play with...*gasp*...sinners." What kind of Christians would be in the company of...*gasp*...sinners. Obviously according to Matthew 11:19 they saw his hanging out (do you know what this means? Hanging out simply means to associate, to spend time with) with sinners, they also thought that he must have participated in their sins...much like people on these boards assume that because POD spends time with sinners they must participate in their sins.

The more I look into this, the more I see just how closely certain arguments on here parallel the thoughts of the same Pharisees who Jesus called snakes.

Oh yeah, the important part of Matthew 9 starts in verse 9 when Jesus calls Matthew as a disciple. Something else remarkable about Jesus was the way he responded to sinners....he actually loved them. Wow. What a novel idea!! In fact you'll find remarkably little condemning by Jesus other then to the Pharisees. To the wretched of society who everyone else saw as wicked sinners, Jesus simply loved them. It was the Pharisees who condemned them (and Jesus for associating with them). Once again parallels between those on this board and the Pharisees are remarkable. Maybe POD is following Jesus's example closer than anyone thought...showing love to sinners. What a concept. [​IMG]

God bless,
    `JD