1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pagan Names and Origins

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Walls, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Mark Armstrong

Mark Armstrong New Member

One of the more intriguing days named for a pagan deity, from a Christian standpoint, is Easter.

According to the Dictionary of Word Origins by Joseph T. Shipley, The holiday we call Easter "is from the Anglo-Saxon Eostre, a pagan goddess whose festival came at the spring equinox. The festival was called Eastron (plural of Eastre). The Christan festival of the resurrection of Christ has in most European languages taken the name of the Jewish Passover...but in the English the pagan word has remained for the Christian festival."

How many of us would change church membership on this issue? How many of us would quit a church simply because it held something it called an "Easter service" and switch to a church that called it something else?

2. Singleman

Singleman New Member

If we take this to its logical conclusion, all Christians would have to retreat to a desert island completely cut off from secular influences, make their own clothes, grow their own food, develop their own language, etc. Sometimes, this doesn't seem like a bad idea, but it certainly isn't feasible. And I don't think this is what God had in mind when he called us to be holy.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Singleman, I think your exactly right.

4. Walls

Walls New Member

I don't believe I have ever said, you have to do what I do. This is my choice and doesn't have to be yours. Do you feel if you are shown something to be against scripture it is okay to keep doing it? ( I am not referring to this particular situation but anything that would be contrary to scripture)

5. Walls

Walls New Member

Finally, information on Easter!

6. Mark Armstrong

Mark Armstrong New Member

Which, coincidentally, involves information on the KJV.

From The Concordia Bible Dictionary:

"Easter. (Teutonic goddess of light and spring). Name applied to Christ's resurrection by 8th century. Occurs incorrectly in KJV (Acts 12:4)"

Will you be cutting that verse out of your KJV Bible?

7. Walls

Walls New Member

In reading chap 12 verses 1 through 4 are referring to actions that Herod was taking, it would seem that Herod was the one waiting for Easter to pass.