1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pakistan - Hostile Regime?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 16, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are in favor of a pre-emptive war against a country that harbors terrorists, but only if you get to set the parameters.

Excuse me, Brother, but you're sounding a bit hypocritical.

#21 carpro, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That wouldn't be a pre-emptive measure. Perhaps, you are unaware of the meaning of the word?

The use of military force against Iraq was based primarily on what Iraq might do, they might get WMD (though our leaders told us he definitely had them) and they might use them, so getting in the way of that was the priority. The potential strike against Iran is based on a similar preemptive premise. Iran might get a nuclear weapon and they might use one.

In our Pakistan scenario, according to your boys, Osama is guilty of an attack against the United States of America. Thus, OBL struck first right? As an individual not representing a state, Osama is guilty of a crime that would merit punishment. Once Musharraf harbors that criminal and refuses to give him up, it then means Pakistan is in alliance with the perpetrator of an attack against the United States of America. Thus, it becomes a state vs. state matter and a proportionate, justified reaction would be called for.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I would let the people of Pakistan sort that out for themselves.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meaning, of course, that you have no solution, either.

I believe I remember you, in the past, bemoaning the fact that we're in Iraq instead of chasing Bin Laden. But evidently you don't want to chase him at all.

Kinda figures.

But maybe Im not remembering correctly.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're reaching.

There is no real difference. It's still attacking a country that has not attacked us...yet. And have given no indication they will.

Abu Abbas murdered an American in a terrorist act and was convicted of the crime. He was knowingly sheltered in Iraq. Using your logic, we had a right to go to war to catch that killer.

At least , in Pakistan's case, it doesn't appear the government knows where Bin Laden is. Saddam knew where Abbas was.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Abu Abbas was not mentioned in the authorization for the use of military force. If Abu Abbas was the pretext for the Iraqi engagement, I may have supported a Noriega type extraction. Regardless, the United Staes got him and he's dead. If that was the mission, then mission accomplished and everyone should be home by now.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But apparently all we had to do was mention his name and pre-emption would be OK with you.

Your argument is getting weaker all the time.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

In that scenario what would we be preempting? Please tell me what you think the word "preemption" means if it is not the meaning in the example that I gave you?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

News flash for ya fellas, Bin Laden pre empted all y'all and croaked from kidney failure a long time ago and his ghost only shows up when the Bush administration needs a distraction from all that negative media coverage...mainstream and alternative.

He's the boogeyman that ain't. Just when things look the worst for our hero Dubya (Sadam did 9/11) Cheney... PoP! Goes Osama to put those evil Bush hating librul dissenters back in their place! BOO! :laugh:

#29 poncho, Jul 19, 2007
  10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Don't go mixing reality with our little hypotheticals.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Does anyone have concrete proof that Osama is still alive?
    2. Does anyone have concrete proof that Osama is in Pakistan?
    3. If he is alive and in Pakistan, does anyone have concrete proof that Musharraf is harboring him? (the two don't go together).
    4. Thus if he is in Pakistan and Musharraf is not harboring how is it possible for him to give him up?
    5. How would that make Pakistan in alliance with a fugitive that not even America with all their high tech weaponry cannot catch. There is some hypocrisy here isn't there.

And yet the question remains, have you proof that he is even alive?

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Uh well yeah! He keeps making those really scary videos doesn't he? The way he shape shifts from one to the next frightens me! :thumbs:

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

White House Homeland Security Advisor Fran Townsend was asked at a press conference earlier this week what evidence she had that Osama Bin Laden was still alive, considering the fact that he has been gravely ill and on a kidney dialysis machine while traversing the harsh terrain of the Pakistani border region. Townsend's response was to refuse to discuss the matter and immediately leave.

Here's the exchange from the end of the press conference (watch the video and cycle to the final 2 minutes).

REPORTER: Fran, do you know if Osama bin Laden is still on a dialysis machine, is he still ill? What? I mean, could you tell us about that? I mean, because -- it might be laughable, but people are finding it hard, six years this man is sick, moving around from cave to cave, and can't be found -- with a dialysis machine?
    MS. TOWNSEND: Have you ever been to the tribal areas? I suspect not.

REPORTER: No, I haven't, but I've seen some great pictures from Ken Herman as to the rough terrain over that way. (Laughter.)

MS. TOWNSEND: It's not exactly easy. If it were easy he'd be dead.

REPORTER: But it's not easy for him to travel around with medics and machinery if he's sick. I mean, is he -- do you know from your intelligence if he's still sick? What do you know about that?

MS. TOWNSEND: I'm not going to talk about that.

SOURCE

Sooooo, is he live or dead? "We're not going to talk about that, and if you reporters don't want to end up on no fly and watch lists you won't talk about it either!"

#34 poncho, Jul 19, 2007
  15. Baptist in Richmond

You are right: you are not remembering correctly.
    Yes, I have stated in the past that we should be hunting UBL - and we should. Now we are stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, and the POTUS has stated that he doesn't really think about him any more, remember? Where are we going to find the resources needed to find UBL in Pakistan?

Pakistan has been an ally in the WOT, despite the fact that the people in Pakistan do not really support their leader (Musharraf) and don't particularly like the United States.

As for a solution, there is NO solution. What could possibly be a realistic solution to this issue? Do you really think that an military action in a sovereign country (that has been an ally) is the answer?

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    Meaning, of course, that you have no solution, either.

I believe I remember you, in the past, bemoaning the fact that we're in Iraq instead of chasing Bin Laden. But evidently you don't want to chase him at all.

Kinda figures.

But maybe Im not remembering correctly.

Apparently my memory is working fine.

17. Baptist in Richmond

You didn't address anything else I posted......

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is always a solution.

Yours is to not pursue UBL into Pakistan. That, by extension, means we can't pursue him anywhere we don't already have a presence. IOW Let him go.

19. Baptist in Richmond

That really didn't address my questions, but thanks anyway...

Am I to assume that you would simply enter into any country to pursue him?

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

In one form, fashion, or another, but not necessarily by military action.