1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pandigital reader overview

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Oct 7, 2010.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have tried a number of readers running android and have had problems with several and none really worked as advertised.

Picked up a Pandigital Novel the other day. Bed Bath Beyound, JC Penney have them and I've heard Kohl's and Walgreen though Walgreen here does not. Bed Bath Beyond had a 20% off coupon for signing up for their email ads so mine was 169 minus the 20% :)

It does what the box says. Primarily a book reader though you can do email, contacts, browsing etc. You CANNOT add apps to it as it ships. There are some hacks that do well from what I've read.

Pandigital put out a version of Android (2.1) without their "reader" overlay that does a pretty good job of Android. The unit does not have the home, menu and back buttons most units have but the version of Android they provide has software buttons that do well. Some programs cover the software buttons so you have to find other alternative programs.

Opera browser works well as does Ireader ebook reader. Olivetree Bible works well. It does not have Google apps yet but there are many sources of apps around.

There are two advantages to the unit. The battery is user replaceable though not like a pocket pc - it plugs into a jack but easy to get to.

The internal memory is a 1 gig micro sd card so you can upgrade the memory easily. It also has an SD slot if you want more memory.

There are a ton of tablets all of a sudden and more promised before Christmas so if you feel Ipads are too spendy, these are a good substitute.

I have never been a reader for pleasure till I tried an ereader - something about reading on the screen that makes reading much easier for me.