1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pants in a Can

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by James_Newman, Jan 2, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Feel free to call me whatever you like. All it does it show your own fruit.

I preach the Word of God faithfully every week. I do not preach my own made up lists of what to wear and not wear. As soon as I find one in the Bible, I will preach it.

The Holy Spirit. Is He not strong enough or powerful enough in your mind to provide this?

The Holy Spirit.

Feel free to keep making up your own list of do's and don'ts. Just do not try to hold me or anyone else accountable to your list.

I will stick with God's Infallible Word and His Holy Spirit.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So if my standards are stricter than yours, I'm a legalistic pharisee. If my standards are looser than yours, I'm not being led by the Spirit.

3. PastorSBC1303

I never said you were either of those. So please do not put words in my mouth.

My entire point is there is no list of do's and don'ts in Scritpure. If there is please present it.

Your list of do's and don'ts is of James. You are free to follow those all you want. I have no problem with you doing so. I do have a problem with you trying hold others accountable to your list.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Do you allow any clothing in your church? Can I come wearing spandex?

5. PastorSBC1303

We do not have a list of do wear this and don't wear that. What part of this are you not getting?

We would expect believers to follow the Holy Spirit's leadership in dressing in a modest way.

If you were a lost person, come on in your spandex.

We would expect believers to follow the Holy Spirit's leadership in dressing in a modest way.

This is really not rocket science James. There is no list of do and don't. If there is please present it.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why are you pretending to be so dense? You have every right to dress the way you want, make any dress codes you want, but the point is that they are YOUR codes and you have no authority or right to impose those codes on anyone else. You are not the clothing police.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I imagine I would like your church if I was unsaved. I bet there are lots of pretty girls in revealing clothes since your not allowed to preach any type of standards of modest dress. Does anyone that has a standard that they hold to want to try to explain to me what modest dress is?

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

But a pastor ought to have that right, oughtn't he? Can a church have standards of dress or not?

9. PastorSBC1303

Ok James, it is obvious you are not able to carry on an intelligent discussion involving this subject. I will leave you and your list alone.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good grief, man.

First you slam this guy, then you slam his church?

Show some class.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What, is there something wrong with the girls showing a little belly button or cleavage?

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

That reminds me, I heard something the other day that made me think of the BB and this very thing. I heard a preacher say, that when a person makes up a list and tries to hold other accountable to it, they are playing God.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

He's good at putting words in people's mouths, aming stuff up that they said, which is lying about them. Never tries to carry on an intelligent conversation, jumps to conclusions and attacks with made up stuff.
    Not worth debating.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem here, donnA. There is some type of standard that everyone on this board holds as acceptable dress, and noone will admit to it. What can be worn and what can't? What about mini-skirts?

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

what a silly question.

Lemme see...what is wrong with a guy slamming a church and its pastor personally (neither of which he knows) just because he doesn't agree with your every minutia of clothing regulations?

What is wrong with trashing a guy and his church...even though that man believes children of God should dress modestly, and says so?

James, you have shown no class. What do you hope to accomplish? I fellowship with several folks who are stricter in their interpretation of "do's and dont's" than I am.

But none of them exhibit your caustic attitude and disregard for Christian love. If they did, I wouldn't hang out with them anymore.

Apologize to SBC for your statements.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't know of any such rules as can and can't. What does that mean anyway? Do you have a dress code that is inforced in your church? Do you tell people to leave if they are violating the code? :confused:

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We haven't even discussed minutiae. He doesn't agree that there are any regulations at all.
    Thats great, the bible says children of God should dress modestly too. Now if only someone could tell me what modest is.
    I'm trying to get an answer to the question 'where do we get our standards'. Could you ask your friends for me, because apparently there aren't any on the baptist board.
    If I have said anything that was out of line, I apologize. But I really don't think I have anything to be sorry for in this thread. Some people are way to sensitive.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Can and can't, as in can wear this and be modest, can't wear that and be modest.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm sure they have a check list at the door, if you don't fit all of them, then you can't come in.
    We have all at one time or another said we believe in modest dress. No one has said it is ok to wear clothing that shows a belly button, cleavage, or anything a mini skirt shows. Yet we've been accused of it.
    If you find you can not discuss a topic in good manners, and feel you must insult people, and make up stuff they supposedly said, then stay away from those topics.
    Or learn self control.

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So are you prepared to defend your belief that showing a belly button is immodest? Or am I supposed to be convicted by your belief that it is?