1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pants?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jack Matthews, Sep 22, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You must not be from CA. Ladies have been wearing pants to work for years in CA.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I didn't say nothing about how long they been wearing them, just pointing out that it must of been one of the laws that they forgot to take off the books in 95. I also put a disclaimer with it if you took the time to read the whole thing. I don't know if it true or not I got it from google. Of course, maybe google didn't live in Calif. :)

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

:laugh: :eek: :laugh:

This just begs for the remark my preacher made in church the other night about how some girls wear their jeans so tight that if there was a quarter in their back pocket you could tell if it were heads or tails from 50 yards! (Then he blamed the problem on their daddies)

Still, there is a difference between skin tight clothing that is designed to reveal and jeans that are designed for comfort and aren't necessarily immodest. I believe pants wearing is an issue of the heart: How, where and why is a lady wearing them. The issue isn't pants, but motive.

4. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably got it nailed down, sis. Motive. On the other hand, some women do not have anything more ulterior than just wanting to be "in", so to speak.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"You Christian girls know where those boys are looking....Also available in Daisy Dukes."

Kinda makes me wonder where these girls are looking.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The issue is modesty: not pants or or motive. You are speaking now in terms of relativity. If my motive is right, then what is right for me may not be right for you. There are no absolutes. There is no right or wrong. There is the product of the humanistic teaching of the public school system.
    It has nothing to do with motive and everything to do with the Biblical teaching of modesty.

If the motive on the beach is comfort, and your daughter is most comfortable in a bikini does that make it right? If the motive is "feel good" and your teenage son feels good the most when he is taking marijauna does that make it right? Motive has nothing to do with it.
    In the OT, the motive of picking up sticks on the Sabbath may have been very good--to keep the fire going, to cook, to keep warm, etc. But it transgressed the command of God, and he was taken outside the camp and stoned to death. His motive had nothing to do with it. There are absolutes. There is a right and wrong.
    DHK

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

The men I've worked around for twenty years think it's a matter of the rump, although that's not the term they use.

9. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

In the OT, the motive of picking up sticks on the Sabbath may have been very good--to keep the fire going, to cook, to keep warm, etc. But it transgressed the command of God, and he was taken outside the camp and stoned to death. His motive had nothing to do with it. There are absolutes. There is a right and wrong.
    DHK

And just what did Jesus say when He encountered this mentality in the NT?

There is right and wrong for sure - but only when the Bible says so. And the Bible never even mentions pants. It says to dress modestly and that men and women should not dress like the other sex. So to object to women wearing pants is not based on any biblical authority - and when it occurs in churches it is an unwelcome return to the Pharisees and their works righteousness.

The fashions today are not the same as they were 100 years ago. If anyone here suggest that we dress exactly like they did in biblical times we would all be wearing tunics and sandals - I don't see many of the legalists arguing for that!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:flower:

Busy but I want to sub so I can come back later!

11. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contrary to popular belief... WOMEN AREN'T STUPID . They are not stupid animals that are easily domesticated, and successful only in childbearing.

I would much rather see a Woman in a nice pantsuit then in something that is cut too low where it shouldn't be, and cut too high where it shouldn't be. Men aren't stupid either...if a woman dresses so she'll be looked at...she will be.

You either respect Women, and always show that respect for them, or you show how little respect you have for yourself.

#31 Friend of God, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Now if I was running for public office, that is what I would of said. :)

13. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just so long as I'm not running for the office of Male Chauvinist Pig.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know a Christian would not be calling me that so keep on, keepingon Friend.

15. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bob,

brother, I was not calling you a MCP. I'm sorry if you took my reply to mean that I was.

I was just expressing my opinion that Women are often thought of as "brainless, but nice to look at."

I'm sorry for my clumsy words.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Friend;
    No problem. I really think the pant issue is a non issue anymore but there was a time that it was not just the church that frowned on pants on women. If it was a misdemeanor breaking of the Law in this Country a 100 years ago then that alone tells us it at one time was a society issue. I am not concerrned about pants but I am concerned about what it can lead to. I already have seen someone show up at a funeral in shorts. I think we should teach and practice a little decor in this nation.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

DHK dear, bikinis are not made for comfort! Nor is merely "feeling good" good enough motive for any decision.

Motive is based in the heart. Let's use you're OT example, which btw was not something God left up to them to decide; He gave a direct command. Was you hypothetical guy's motive really keeping warm? I daresay not. If warmth were the issue he'd have gathered enough wood the day before to last through the Sabbath in obedience to the direct command of God.

The issue with pants IS NOT simply and obedience issue. Can't get off that easy. The Bible doesn't say "don't wear anything that pertains to a man and by the way pants are men's clothing".

It appears that back when Deuteronomy was written there was no such thing as pants for men or women. So if it is sin for a woman to wear pants because the issue is obedience and culture should have never changed clothing styles, then it is just as big a sin for a man to wear pants as it is a woman. Or is it not sin for a woman to look on the form of a man?

Sorry, the issue is not pants and whether they are sinful. The issue is, are you wearing clothing in which you can be a witness of God to the world. And that my friend is an issue of the heart. It is also an issue that may vary between Christians living in different places, depending on the culture thereof.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, as someone who can spot a MCP a mile away, and would purposefully walk across the street to spit in his face, I really haven't seen any here on this thread.

There are people here on the BB with a more fundamentalist belief about women and pants, but that's the way they were raised and they have admitted it to be so. They simply prefer a woman in a dress. That doesn't make them chauvenistic.

There are people here who insist that a woman's "form" shouldn't be seen and have said nothing about a man's "form" being seen in his tight Sunday blue jeans, but that one-sided argument doesn't make them pigs.

And there are men here and on other threads concerning about women and their clothes who talk to each other about women and their bodies and do not talk to the women here on the BB about the same issue. That's frustrating, but does not make them piggish.

The only word of caution that I would give to any man here who would care to listen is that when a bunch of christian men get together on a thread like this and discuss women's bodies and how they should be "covered up" because they create problems for men and in the discussion allow silly and disrespectful comments to be made only make women feel bad. All the women on the BB who read threads like these understand what I mean by that.

I don't believe that any man on the BB in the countless threads on women and their bodies/clothes has done that on purpose, only in error. Only on purpose would it make them a pig. In error only makes them in need of a change of how they address the topic.

To address it frivolously and make comedic remarks about women and how men view their bodies is childish.

To address it harshly and make women feel bad about EVERYTHING hanging in their closet is disrespectful.

The discussions over the past few years about women and pants have been long and unending and tiresome, but I haven't seen any man here, yet, be chauvenistic. Close......but no cigar! :laugh:

As the resident feminist around here, Rob, I'll let you know when I spot a pig! :wavey:

#38 Scarlett O., Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  19. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

In the other pants thread, I did mention that tight-fitting jeans on men and women is a disgrace. guess scarlett did not see that.

20. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Sacred Sandwich is classic! :D