1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Papias Quote and Early Date of Revelation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by asterisktom, Oct 9, 2021.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does not say that Nicolas was born again or filled with the Spirit, only that they had that criteria. And again, relevance to this discussion? (And by the way, your link does not lead to the quote.)

#41 John of Japan, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    possible pre 70 AD date for the Book of Revelation

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is clear that the date of the writing of Revelation is, put put it mildly, somewhat in doubt.
    Most understandings of the book do not depend on the precise date at which it was written It doesn't matter to me whether it was written before or after AD 70. I suggest that it is unwise to adopt a theological stance which is so dependent upon extra-biblical writings.

My three ha'pence (two cents to you).

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    firstly, in Acts this is what it says about Nicolas, "Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business" (verse 3). A person cannot be said to be "full of the Holy Ghost", and not saved!. You assume that this is not true, but you are wrong, as the Bible says that he did.

The relevance here is this, there are some who say that Irenaeus is wrong to say that the Deacon Nicolas, was the founder of the Nicolaitan Sect. If he can be wrong here, then why can't he be on the time that he says the Book of Revelation was written? He was not alive during the time, and wrote some 50 years after John had died, so it would be hear-say.

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    surely it must be important to you, whether this Book was written before John died, which is about 100 AD; and not as some suggest, that it was written in the 2nd century, or later, and therefore cannot be the work of the Apostle John?, Free Online Bible Library | John The Elder

#45 SavedByGrace, Oct 13, 2021
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe for a second that it was written by anyone else than the Apostle John. My point is that it does not have to be written before or after AD 70 for my understanding of the book (Amillennialism) to work. I don't have to trust either Papias or Irenaeus.

7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that you said there is no internal or external evidence. That's just nonsense.

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has a direct line to John. And if John died in 100AD that would eliminate all of the events of Revelation happening in 70AD.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You missed the point. The Bible inerrantly quoted the disciples as saying that the candidates should be full of the Holy Spirit. What the Bible did not say is that all of the candidates were actually filled with the Spirit. The disciples could have been wrong about that as some were wrong about things elsewhere in Acts. The only one specifically said by the Bible to be actually filled with the Spirit was Philip (v. 5).

It is entirely possible to deceive people as to whether one is filled with the Spirit or not. Many Charismatics do this--claim the filling but then preach heresy.

Sure, he could have been wrong. But he said what he did, and that is external proof for a post AD 70 writing of Revelation, something you said you did not know existed. You have not proven that he was wrong, merely said he could be.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How?

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is nonsense to those who have difficulty with the English language! Let us see what I did say in #27

have not seen any external or internal evidence provided by any scholar, that shows Revelation was not written before 70 AD. Do you know of any?

There is not evidence to say that Revelation had to have been written after AD 70. I have given a quote from 1 Clement, which some scholars say was written in the 60's AD, which is from the Book of Revelation. Do you understand?

12. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sun rises in the East.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two translations of the Apostolic Fathers. Both place the writing of 1st Clement in the 90's.

"Its date was nearly simultaneous with the close of Diocletian's persecution, when the emperor's cousin, Flavius Clemens, the namesake of the writer, perished during or immediately after the year of his consulate (A.D. 95)" (J. B. Lightfoot, The Apostolic Fathers, p. 11).

"This explains the mention (in the opening chapter) of the Roman church's 'recent misfortunes' as a clear allusion to the notorious persecution of the Christians under the late emperor Domitian; and the most reasonable assumption therefore is that the epistle was written shortly after that persecution was brought to an end by the assassination of Domitian in September 96" (Maxwell Staniforth, Early Christian Writings, p. 17).

We have not heard the names of any scholar who thinks differently so far.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Firstly, there is zero evidence from the passage in Acts 6 to even hint that those chosen were not all like Philip, "a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost". The Greek tells me that what was true for Philip, is also true for the others, "ἄνδρα πλήρη πίστεως καὶ Πνεύματος Ἁγίου, καὶ Φίλιππον καὶ Πρόχορον καὶ Νικάνορα καὶ Τίμωνα καὶ Παρμενᾶν καὶ Νικόλαον προσήλυτον Ἀντιοχέα". The Disciples no doubt prayed for the Holy Spirit to guide them with this, and there is no way that the Holy Spirit would misguide them!

Secondly, you say, "that is external proof for a post AD 70 writing of Revelation, something you said you did not know existed". But this is NOT what I said in # 27! Here it is again:

have not seen any external or internal evidence provided by any scholar, that shows Revelation was not written before 70 AD. Do you know of any?

Here is what it means. There is NO real evidence to say that Revelation was not written BEFORE AD 70. Not, AFTER, as you say "POST"!

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    because there are quotes in 1 Clement from the Book of Revelation, which some scholars say was written in the 60's AD. this is a real possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeah, JBL is only one such scholar

"G. Edmundson presents a good case for Clement writing this letter in the early months of 70 AD ((GE 180-205)). Robinson accepted that Edmundson’s case should be most seriously considered ((JATR 329)) and Thied has also adopted this date ((CTR 71)).,

DATING CLEMENT OF ROME’S LETTER AND HERMAS

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some scholars, I'm sure those are the same scholars that try to early date Revelation. Not exactly good evidence here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, the και does not prove that they were all exactly the same as Philip, but only that they were chosen along with Philip.

You said you had not seen any evidence.... I get that. I showed you evidence. You deny it. So be it. No skin off my nose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? I quoted two scholars, Lightfoot and Staniforth, whose book Early Christian Writings is a translation of the Apostolic Fathers.

#59 John of Japan, Oct 13, 2021
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is this Dennis Barton, the author of the document of your link, and why should I consider him to be a scholar? Near as I can tell from that website, he was some kind of Catholic, but where did he teach and why is he supposed to be a scholar?