1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Papias Quote and Early Date of Revelation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by asterisktom, Oct 9, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Papias still wrote after the fact. And when the Romans were finished with suppressing the Jewish rebellion, the Jews went right back to their form of worship, minus the temple.(They still had many synagogues.) They coulda whacked John later, no problem.(The Romans wanted to resume doing business with the Jews who hadn't been principals in their rebellion.)

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This whole thread is a pret attempt to move the date of the Rev back, to try to support the pret myth. This has become a game of "MAH skoller kin whup YER skoller".

Sorry, prets, but history proves your myth false, as the prophesied eschatological events simply haven't yet happened. There's just no getting by that FACT.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say what?

4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought he was pretty clear. Preterism is a hoax.

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that, what has it go to do with our discussion?

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand why you think that you have to be "scholar" before you accept what a person says? Your thinking is very narrow. Like you seem to reject what someone says because they are Roman Catholic. Even some non Christian experts can be used by the Lord

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why else would AsterixTom try to move the giving of the Rev back to an earlier time? prets try to do it so they can say Nero was the beast/antichrist & all eschatology was fulfilled in 66-70 AD. I know someone asked for history proving that early date, but he posted a pretty groddy example.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider scholarship to be the search for truth. A scholar is one who searches for truth. However, our current topic depends on specialized knowledge and understanding, something not evident in the Church of Christ preacher Tom quoted--the man got the sources wrong, so his conclusions were tainted.

As for Catholic scholars, no, I don't trust them. They have to obey the Catholic hierarchy, and therefore their search for truth is limited. Just looking on the Catholic website you sourced, I noted a place or two where the Catholic scholars had to toe the Catholic line.

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, I ain't a scholar, and I am VERY interested in the truth, especially Bible Truth! :D;)

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The search for truth cannot be biased. When a student hands me a research paper, it must not take a position it cannot sustain. It may not quote from sources that are not fair.

I met up this past summer with a scholar who had years ago written a very objectionable essay about my grandfather's place in church history. At that time, I objected strenuously to some biased language he used, quoting from an historian who was anti-fundamentalist. However, more recently he included a chapter about a certain controversy between my grandfather and Lewis Sperry Chafer in a book he recently wrote about the history of Baptist fundamentalism through about 1960. This time he asked me, "Was I balanced?" I answered that he certainly was. (We're friends now.) This is a scholar who searches for truth and does the research necessary to find it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, the same Irenaeus that says Jesus taught for 15 years and was fifty years old when he died? Right.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people here are in my ignore list but I can pretty much surmise what the original comment was, hehe.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Said a person who has not really read Josephus. After the war with Rome the Jews did not have any political power to do what they wanted to John (assuming for the sake of this argument that he was still on Earth after that time - which he wasnt).

15. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who is doing this? Like I said probably seventeen times on this board: My belief of the early date for Revelation came long before I was a Preterist.

My theological stance is based on the Bible. It is fine-tuned for me by those here whose Scriptural acumen is apparent in their writings, usually not by those whose theological system is largely strait-jacketed by credal traditions.

Lest that last statement sounds too strong, there is much of value in, for instance, the WCF, except in two main areas: their over-emphasis on the OT and their skewed eschatology. Actually the one error led to the other.

#75 asterisktom, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and there are interesting indications that Hebrews may have been written partly as a response to the Epistle of Barnabas. Not dogmatic on this though.

17. Michael Hollner

Michael Hollner Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your view on "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" (Rev 20:6) KJV?

Is this a future event or has it already happened?

18. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. My answer is yes and yes. There are past and future aspects here. The first resurrection include the saints of all ages, the second death obviously not the saints. Those of us alive now still have to enter into the full richness of this promise. I take the thousand years, BTW, as not being that actual length.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    On your ignore list simply because you can't answer their arguments.

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what reason?