1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parable of the sower

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sandrocksam, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

Luke 8: "other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it, and choked it out (v.7)." Jesus explained, "And the seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go their way they are choked with worries and riches, and pleasures of this life and bring no fruit to maturity" (v.14

Is this person saved ? As a Christian and Looking back on my early life I can see myself here before I became more mature but other people I have talk to say only the last one of the four are saved. I'm not doubthing my own salavation I just do not see "all" Christians falling into the last catagory. What does this group think ?

2. Reformer

Reformer New Member

I believe only the last person was saved BUT, the simple fact is that the text doesn't say so we can only assume, and ration with our fallen minds that is why there is so much debate.

Interestingly enough this is one of the main passages that convinced me (early in my Christian walk) that a Christian cannot lose his salvation, and it is also on of the passages that people go to in order to show that they can. As I said we don't know, The text doesn't say

EDIT: I almost forgot:
    Hello Fellow Alabamian :wavey:

#2 Reformer, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  3. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

sower

You and a lot of others are probably right concerning only the last being saved. But I still look at the discriptions of being fruitful and I see quite a few people that I believe are Christians, love to hear the Word, never miss a Sunday or Wednesday service but do no service that I am aware of for the Lord (not fruitfill) and I am not being judgemental, just making an observation. Also like I said before I look at my own life as a babe in Christ and I was overcome with things like building my life, career, marriage, kids, etc. Then one day I was put on my back for a few weeks, began to study God's Word, re-evaluated my life change my attitude and values. Closer to the Lord now thanks to a little tribulation that I am trully thankful for (after the fact). The last seed to me is ideal and I do not think all christians fall in this class. I think most of us have a few weeds in our garden.:laugh: I also am a student of Spurgeon.

4. Reformer

Reformer New Member

I agree with your evaluation of things, we must also keep in mind this is a parable it isn't meant to be a COMPLETE study or exposition of a subject

And if you to are a Spurgeonist :) you might want to read this (I haven't yet but I will now) http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/sower.htm

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The only thing that makes this parable difficult is the belief that you can't lose your salvation. If you consider that the ability to lose your salvation is as certain as heaven and hell, then the parable makes perfectly good sense and we don't have to resort to unusual interpretations of it.

6. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

salvation

If Jesus can save you, Jesus can keep you. In fact Eph. chapter one says He guarantees your salvation, but I suppose that is another thread.
    :godisgood:

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

The 4th chapter of Romas might help give an answer to you about doing no service for the Lord.

Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."
    Rom 4:4 Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due.
    Rom 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The first position is certainly one of lostness. But, the next two we can't say with absolute certainty. "Maybe they are saved and maybe they aren't." What a dangerous place to be. Eternity is on the line and they are playing around with it.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always thought the seed was "Truth". Notice these people "heard", they didn't respond. They heard the truth, and they became the ones in Romans 1 who have rejected the Truth, and will be justly judged on this factor. In this light, this person is not saved

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The seed is the Word of God. I love this parable. And I like it because we don't have to try and interpret it. Jesus already did that. :D here is the interpretation:

Luke 8

11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

12 And those by the way side are they that have heard; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved.

13 And those on the rock are they who, when they have heard, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14 And that which fell among the thorns, these are they that have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15 And that in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it fast, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Also, consider verse 18

Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that which he thinketh he hath.

And verse 21,

But he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these that hear the word of God, and do it.

Becareful brethren how you hear the Word of God and be faithful to obey it.

11. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

Reformer

Thanks for sending me to Spurgeon link, I read it. Spurgeon does not believe they are save either. I guess I'm pretty much alone. I still see a christian in #3, he is unhappy and needs a lot of help but I still see a christian. He is kind of like my garden right now choked with weeds but with a little care could become fruitful but still a garden.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The parable is explained in scripture...

Lk 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
    11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
    12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
    13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
    14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
    15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
    16 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.
    17 For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
    18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

13. Goldie

Goldie New Member

The seed mentioned here is the Word of God. You can see how certain people (unbelievers) choke it out and want nothing to do with it, there are others who hear it though, but don't pay any attention to it as they prefer the pleasures of this life like riches and the various pleasures it has to offer. Their minds don't think of eternity, instead they're engrossed in the here and now and can't see beyond this world.

There are a lot of people who have heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but they think they can "postpone" it til later - and later might be too late.

#13 Goldie, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  14. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

Goldie

I agree the seed is the word of God. But, it was planted, it took root, it grew, the problem is it is in competion with other things (worldly cares) it is still alive but struggling, not fruitfull. Is it capable of bearing fruit ? If so they are christians are they not ? If not why even mention possibility of fruit the first two obviously could not bear fruit.

15. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I think we may be getting off track of what the story is really about when we start trying to analyze which ones are saved or not. The point is really about what happens from the Sower's point of view. If we are sharing the gospel, sowing seeds, these are the various reactions we can expect from people. I don't think the idea is to try to figure out which category of result we fit into and whether that one is saved or not.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with this! You really put it well. A parable is not supposed to be analyzed to the nth degree. I don't think this parable was given for us to figure out a salvation issue.

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Consider the parallel parable. Matt 13:37b "He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man."

And I should add. "The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; "

18. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

You guys are probably right time to end this, thanks for all comments.
    :tonofbricks:

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Amen Brother... :thumbs:

Anyone ever notice the sower didn't stop sewing because he was on stony or unfertile ground? He just kept on sewing? He sewed in the rocks just as he sewed amongst the thorns. No prejudice with that fella... He was a real sewer and a great example to us.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Good point, LeBuick, but I must point out that a sower sows; he/she doesn't sew unless they are making a quilt! :laugh: