1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Parable or not

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HisWitness, May 31, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and If I remember correctly, that is the only parable where a man is named.

Besides - I have seen definitions of parable - and it can be a non-fiction story.

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

In the beginning of chapter 15 Christ said that he spake this parable (singular) to them, and then he went on to talk about lost sheep, lost coin, and the wayward son which is all one parable but in chapter sixteen Christ said in the first verse, There was a certain rich man and again in verse nineteen and twenty, there was. Are we to believe Christ when he said there was or not ?

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then, explain how the rich man and the beggar died and were buried, yet the rich man's five brothers are still alive. Explain how the brothers will not believe (to be converted after the resurrection?!) unless one rose from the dead, if everyone at this point is risen from the dead.

4. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Matthew 13-10

And the disciples came,and said unto him,why speakest thou unto them(multitudes)in parables(plural form--more than 1).

verse11--He answered and said unto them,Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdomof heaven,but to them(multitudes)it is not given.

when the rich man and lazarus was spoken about there was multitudes there to hear--everything in luke 15 and on is parables including rich man and lazarus--why/ because it was not given to the multitudes to know the mysteries--this should be plain as clear water to see through.

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

I believe it was an actual occurrence involving actual men.
    I also see it giving us a glimpse into the lives of these men after they had physically died and their spirits had departed from their bodies.

Some interesting things about this story is that they retain their knowledge and memories from their former life on earth. This shows us that our soul is still apart of us when we die.

I do see our human spirit with eyes, fingers, tongues and a spirit mind.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Why does it even matter if this is a parable or not? They won't be punished for eternity, since eternity actually means a "space of time" and not eternal......

7. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Luke 16:19-31 (the rich man and Lazarus) is not a parable. The proper names Jesus used in this story prove He was speaking of a real historical scene, rather than of a fictitious parable.

As for the body, soul, and spirit being DEAD....that is not biblical. How do you reconcile "absent from the body, present with the Lord"? What is absent from the body? The body sleeps, but the soul of man journeys either to Heaven or to Hell.

2 Corinthians 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Philippians 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Philippians 1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Peter testified that at death he would put off his body:

2 Peter 1:14 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.

The spirit of man returns to God Who gave it:

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The body is distinct from the spirit:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Job described the resurrection:

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Job 19:27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

The dead saints are said to return with Christ from heaven at the time of the resurrection and rapture of the saved:

1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

#27 Fred's Wife, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  8. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Here's a simple question. Even if this was a parable (and it's not), what's your point? What do you think Jesus was trying to convey with this story? Even if it was a parable, Jesus didn't just tell parables for entertainment.

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Jesus was trying to convey the reality of an afterlife of either peace and rest, or eternal torment.

10. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

*I* know what it means, I'm trying to see why HE thinks this is important as to whether or not it's a parable or not and why. But yes, you are right. :):smilewinkgrin: