1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parallels between the Bible and evidence from Egyptology?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 19, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What do you think about this? Is this scientific?

http://www.domainofman.com/book/cover.html

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What!?
    I read that many scholars believe that this Echnatun guy was the first monotheist.
    But is this really possible? Even if Echnaton was a monotheist before Moses then this doesn't mean that Moses copied from him, does it?

I read that Echnaton built a temple which had nearly the same measurements as the temple which the Israelites built for God! They showed it on the discovery channel and interviewed an archaeologist. :confused:

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I had a discussion (ok, argument) with an English Professor back in school about this. He (the professor) said that Echnatun was the ‘inventor’ of monotheism and Moses copied from him. I pointed out that Joseph came to Egypt 400 years or so before Moses so why could not Echnatun have received the idea of one God from Joseph and his brothers.

To his credit although this professor was a very vocal atheist and we had many spirited discussions in and out of class he was also a good teacher and more than fair in his grading of my work.

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Then how can scholars believe that Echnaton was the first mono?
    Do they not care about Joseph? Or do they not accept him as real person?

7. bound

bound New Member

Grace and Peace,

There was a time when 'everyone' was a monotheist. Let us not fall into the trap of thinking that monotheism was a development in the evolution of theology as atheists would have us believe. They are working off a premise which is in error in the first place so let us not get overly worked up about this.

Remember, there was a time when all men were monotheists. There is nothing wrong with having historic evidence of this fact.

Peace and God Bless.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Adam steps out of the Garden of Eden and PRESTO! All of mankind is monotheist.

Noah steps off the boat and PRESTO all of mankind is monotheist!

Jacob and his sons enter the land of Egypt and PRESTO! All Hebrews in Jacob's immediate family are monotheists centuries BEFORE Moses.

I agree sir - once you know the starting point - some of the atheist-oriented "stories" die in their infancy.

In Christ,

Bob