1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parrish sucker-punched Laimbeer

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Apr 28, 2006.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

A few nights ago, EPSN Classic showed Game 5 of the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals of Boston v. Detroit. The series was tied at 2-2. This was the game that ended with Isaiah's bonehead pass that Bird stole and dished to Dennis Johnson for the go-ahead bucket as time ran out. All that Isaiah had to do was to get the ball in and Detroit would have won that series and would have made it to 4 straight NBA finals (and I believe they would have won 3 in a row, because in '88 they almost won, and making it in '87 would have given them that experience they needed).

Anyways, during the game Parrish and Laimbeer (and a couple of others) were going for a rebound. Parrish was completely boxed out, and Laimbeer didn't even get the rebound - I think it went out of bounds. Laimbeer did nothing cheap or wrong, but when sissy Parrish realized he had missed the rebound, he made three huge swipes down on Laimbeer knocking him to the floor. Laimbeer came up bloodied and did not retaliate at all for the rest of the game. The amazing thing was that Parrish was not even called for a foul, let alone a technical. He should have been thrown out of the game, the Big Sissy. But the game was at the Garden, and the refs were too scared. There were also other questionable calls in favor of the Beloved Celtics. Yuck. I think Parrish was a Big Sissy in that game. Don't sucker-punch a guy. If you want to fight him for past wrongs (which I admit Laimbeer probably did in other games), then go to him man-to-man.

Oh yes - I'll throw this in, too - I think Parrish was way overrated. [​IMG]

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Although Laimbeer may not have done anything in Game 5, Parrish beat him down because of what happened in Game 3.

Yes, that was amazing, and yes, he should have been tossed.

So, are you protesting the results of a game that happened 19 years ago? A little late for that, wouldn't you say? [​IMG]

Who considers Chief to be one of the great centers of the past? I don't think he makes the list of Top 10 centers of all time, thus I don't see how you can call him overrated. Still bitter about the Celtics winning that series? [​IMG]

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Parrish overrated?

:rolleyes:

I ain't going to say anything about Parrish. As many cheap shots as Laimbeer gave in his career, I probably would have sucker-punched him too.

Oh, and Parrish was not overrated. He was a major part of one of the greatest lineups all time.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Well, that's the beauty of ESPN Classic - it makes you feel like it just happened. And it's interesting to see how our perspective changes over time. I see that game differently as a 17-year old as I was then, to the grumpy old 36-year old that I am now. [​IMG]

Bitter, nah - we still got two in a row. But I think it is interesting that Laimbeer gets lambasted for his cheap play, when I think Parrish was just as cheap. There was also another time in that game where Parrish tried to elbow Laimbeer in the face, but he missed and hit air - looking like a dufus.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, that was a great starting five. But Parrish was the least valuable of the five. Here's their value in order:

Bird
    McHale
    Johnson
    Ainge
    Walton (just kidding)
    Parrish

6. PastorSBC1303

There is absolutely no way in the world Parrish was as cheap and dirty a player as Laimbeer!

Goodness man, take off the Piston glasses..... [​IMG]

7. PastorSBC1303

I disagree with your order. I would say Parrish was ever bit as valueable to the Celtics as Johnson and Ainge was. I agree with the top 2.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I hate to say this, but I think Laimbeer got blasted so much...yikes!...because he was white. I know that's not PC, but I think there is an element of truth to it. First of all, Laimbeer looked kind of funny - he was not only white but he was pale white and he looked plain goofy. And his funny facial expressions didn't help his image either. I honestly believe if he were black, no one would have talked about him the same way. Everyone would have labelled him an aggressive, hard-nosed player...like Robert Parrish.

9. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

SBC you seem to be in a lot of pain this season! I still think Laimbeer and the pistons were not dirty players. It is whining at its best. It makes the rest of the teams, that lost, and used that excuse as , to use your qoute, "unclassy". It would be fun to go back and watch one of the championship seasons that they one and show you that most of the diry playing came from the other teams who were frustrated (as Parish) because of the in your shorts defense that the Pistons played. I still stand by the fact the Lambier was a sissy and scared of everyone. Was not a diry player until proven otherwise. Then I will admitt it. I have before. Laimbeer was a great center. Rebounder and score when needed. Another team full of truly great players who knew that BB was a team sport. As did the Celtics also.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

By the way, I did not intend the above to accuse anyone or anything of racism. The way we perceive other people is affected by a myriad of influences - culture and race are among those influences. No one is truly color-blind - we all have certain prejudices, etc. It's complex. Anyways, I did't want to start a big race discussion, that's all.

11. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]MAN them glasses are hot items!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Convicted by the Spirit

Honestly,

Coming from a Celtic fan ... get over it. Isaiah made an okay pass ... Bird just made one heck of a play on the ball.

We on this board my discuss the character of some athletes like Kobe being selfish, but honestly don't call people names. You know fully that is not of Christ. Calling people names is so stinking childish.

Parrish least valuable of the five listed? Come on! Seriously? Lambeer a near saint? No doubt take off them Piston glasses.

13. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Your character on here speaks for itself (your a pistons fan, right?) So I never questioned your integerty one bit by your last statement.
    Nah, really I know what you meant.

14. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Where did this come from? Name calling? I guess I miss something. thought we were all having fun.

15. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I don't think Parish was overated back then. It seems he may on this board be. He was okay as center but it was the team that made them great. Of course there are those celtic glasses making the rounds........and somehow they see Luke Walton as a great player?!!! I'll keep the Piston glasses thank you.

All in fun.

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I meant everything in fun. I called him a Big Sissy and looking like a dufus - is that what you are referring to? I call myself those names all the time. Just having fun. We knock each other around so much in the debate forums, I see the Sports Board as way to escape a little. No ill-will was intended.

BTW, Isaiah should have called time out - that was his mistake. Bird did make a great play. I never called Laimbeer a near saint - just not as evil as everyone makes him out to be.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, I am a Pistons, Red Wings, Lions and Tigers fan. And I am a U of M fan, even though I was born in, and also live and work in Columbus. Dad was born and raised in Pontiac, MI. Honor thy father...

[ April 28, 2006, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Andy T. ]

18. PastorSBC1303

Parrish was a better center than Laimbeer. Although neither of them were among the all time greats.

I cannot see anyone other than a Piston fan arguing that Laimbeer was better.

Tim, I watched the Pistons and Bulls play a lot of games back in those days, and I am not quite sure how you cannot see that Laimbeer was dirty at times. But whatever you call it, I agree he was a sissy and a coward. If Laimbeer was not dirty, can you give me an example of someone that you consider dirty?

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Luke Walton? Do you mean Bill Walton, oft-injured center? The Big Redhead was good, but not great. He was a better player in college than the pros.

Good grief. :rolleyes:

And it couldn't possibly have come from the notion that the Pistons were actually dirty, right? It's always about the team that lost being a bunch of whiners, isn't it?

20. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

And it couldn't possibly have come from the notion that the Pistons were actually dirty, right? It's always about the team that lost being a bunch of whiners, isn't it? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Bingo, your catching on. And they were the LOSERS! I seem to remember a few coaches that said they would like to have Laimbeer. YOu couldn't stop him. He was a leader in rebounds and could shot the two footer, layup and the three better then any center I can think of.

SBC.........Karl Malone! Most likely the Dirtiest player ever. I think Rick Mahorn had his moments though. He said he liked to "foul a person twice". And of course Shaq.

Lets not forget Laimbeer was and is one of the few centers that could also hit a free throw. [​IMG]