1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Particular Baptist definition.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Aug 28, 2018.

?

Particular Baptist Means.....

Poll closed Sep 11, 2018.
  1. Calvinistc

50.0%
  2. Reformed

50.0%
  1. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been thinking how I use the term Particular Baptist and i'm caught between two definitions.

1. Particular = Calvinistic (meaning holding to TULIP). this is due to Particular is set against General Baptists( Arminians) so it becomes an issue of Soteriology.

2. Particular = Reformed (Calvinistic, Covenantal, Confessional). At the time (17th Centaury) there wasn't a distinction between Reformed and Calvinistic, they were one and the same.

So how do you use the term Particular Baptist?

2. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been some time since I have heard the term Particular Baptist used. But... I recall the term relating to particular atonement--Christ dying only for an elect--thus Particular Baptist being more Calvinistic as opposed to atonement in General Baptist circles being more open.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    usually means to me a Calvinistic baptist, who has accepted TULIP, but has rejected the etire CT and the use on any Confession. See John Macarthur!

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 17th Century Particular Baptists were covenantal as well as Calvinistic. The similarities between the Westminster Confession and the 1689 shows the close relationship between the two.

However, the term Particular Baptist has now been subsumed into Reformed Baptist. Moreover, all the traditional terms-- 'evangelical,' 'Reformed, even 'Fundamentalist'-- have been devalued over the years. To express what I believe succinctly these days, I have to describe myself as 'Confessional Reformed Baptist.'