1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Partnering to end abortion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Sep 16, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I think you hit the right distinction. I share a job, co-work, with Mormons, Jews, et. Basically, unbelievers, and Roman Catholics. However, we are laboring in business, not the Gospel.

An example of being "unequally yoked" to use the term would be Billy Graham using Roman Catholics in his crusades. Big no-no.

RB

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

But the mission discussed was to end abortion. It is not to form a church, but to end abortion.

This is why I initially questioned both the true intent and ability, because the focus wasn't on the mission like he stated....it was rather on who is in and who is out. Not good for those aborted. I'd bet they wouldn't give a hoot if it is a catholic, protestant, atheist, mormon, or whoever.....the mission was suppose to be to end abortion. If you're divisive in attempting to accomplish this, then you won't accomplish much.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do see the difference but I think we need to keep in mind that:
    1) We need to let people decide according to how it hurts their conscience; it might bother some people to work with RC people on moral issues such as abortion because working in this area is not like working in an office; religion will come into it, believe me. Been there, done that.

2) No one responded or noticed what I posted before - that if you work with Roman Catholics on abortion, they may want you to agree with them on their contraception views (talk about a tangled web)

3) Abortion is a religious issue so religious issues will come into it and there are sharp divisions in the prolife community, as I posted on the other thread on this topic.

4. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

Hi, I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center, a place where we fight against abortion. We also give the gospel to EVERY person that enters, so if we were yoked with Catholics in fighting abortion we would also be yoked with them in their gospel. See the point? Because they would be delivering a false gospel. Our goal as Christians should be the Glory of God and the salvation of souls, everything else is secondary. Not that they are not important, they just come AFTER Jesus.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well then it sounds like you have more than one goal.

I'm talking about the goal of ending abortions. You have included evangelism in that. Then yes, I can see how you would have to be exclusive if you have more than one goal....which could limit what you can accomplish in ending abortions.

6. lbaker

lbaker New Member

What about letting the RCs work with us instead of us working with them? Then we could corrupt their gospel.

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are you talking about this post?

Working in a way that is contrary to scripture is never a good idea. I would personally work with others outside of the church but I would never have them speak at my church nor would I speak at their church even on the matter of abortion. That would work to accomplish the goal without give credibility to their pagan or incorrect theology. Ecumenicism is never a good idea.

What's your point?

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, hsmom. You have explained it much better than any of the other posts, and without sounding like a Baptist better-than-thou.

That is what I've run into with people who take the "unequally yoked" phrase to the highest degree of separation. The goal seems to be more about pride and not associating with others who are different. Your explaination shows why, at least in your crisis pregnancy center, the workers must agree doctrinally.

9. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

So, just to be clear, are you saying that God's Glory and the saving of souls shouldn't ALWAYS be THE primary goal? I am praying that I misunderstood you.

Thanks for your comment abcgrad94!! :)

#29 hsmom22boys, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think it is the primary goal of our lives....with all due respect, we shouldn't have to set up "evangelism centers" to pass out tracts. Our lives should constantly be "evangelizing", both through word and deed.

The subject of this OP is to achieve the goal of ending the legalization of abortions. If you narrow the people you work with on this issue, (which requires a policital process...not a faith process) especially when you are excluding those who share the same goal, I can't help but wonder your true motives and your ability to accomplish your goal.

#30 dan e., Sep 17, 2008
  11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen! :thumbs:

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

dan e, see the other thread where I answered your question about the divisions amongst prolife groups.

When you are dealing with abortion, you can't leave religion out of it because most people object on religious grounds. But it's based on their beliefs, which differ -- sometimes drastically. Also, the short-term goals differ.

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I read that, it was very informative from someone with more experience than myself.

I guess the point I'm making is that I'm not so sure all of these groups can accomplish their goal while being divisive on the political issue of Roe v Wade. No, that doesn't mean I don't think abortion is a moral issue, I do. But overturning Roe v Wade is a political issue. I see nothing but hard headedness when ANY group wishing to abolish RvW refuses to work with others based on theological differences. It makes me question the passion to really stop abortions. Are you concerned with the aborted baby like people so critically question pro-lifers? Or are you concerned with making sure it is YOUR religious group stops it?

14. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Some people can drop their Religious Convictions in order to further their Moral Convictions. That is what is at the root of this discussion, In my opinion.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    R v. W is both a political and moral issue. All laws are based on some sort of morality. Not everyone holds to the notion that we should get it done any old way. Some, like myself, believe that not only should we do God's work but we should also do it God's way. The method is as important as the goal.

16. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

The chief end of man is to glorify God!

God says, Isaiah 64:6
    But we are all like an unclean thing,And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.

O.K. my point is, in everything we are supposed to glorify God, right? Right! If everything that a sinner does is not to glorify God and is as 'filthy rags' ,which it is if it doesn't glorify Him, then it doesn't matter if you are saving babies or feeding the poor or supporting the best cause in the world. You are not doing it for the right reason so it is as 'filthy rags'. Maybe you are doing it to make yourself feel better or feel like a better person because you feel like it is wrong(which it is) and you want to do something about it. I understand all of that, my brother in Christ, and your wanting to help. I just want you to see what it seems you have been failing to see all along, and that is God's Glory and the salvation of others comes first and EVERYTHING ELSE follows.

I have a deep passion to stop abortions, I have a much deeper passion for God's Glory and the salvation of souls.:jesus: :godisgood:

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have worked and will continue to work with any other Christian group to end the culture of death and heal those who have been harmed by it. Some of my best friends in this struggle are Roman Catholics. :)

18. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

Christians--Yes, work with them. Catholics--No---Not Christians!!!!

:BangHead:

I give up!!!

#38 hsmom22boys, Sep 17, 2008
  19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You are too focused on deciding who is "in" and who is "out" instead of working together to end legalized abortion....which was the op.

Keep trying to figure out, but there may be others who want to end abortions together.

20. Reformer

Reformer New Member

SO it is OK if we save the babies and let their mothers remain ungodly, and therefore raise ungodly hell bound children.

I had it right