1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion Movie Gospel

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Psalm145 3, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

The Passion movie focuses on the physical sufferings of our Lord Jesus Christ leading up to the Cross. The physical sufferings of our Lord were awful, but that alone could never atone for our sins. The movie does not present the Gospel of Christ. Just because a person cries at the movie doesn't mean they got saved. Just because a Christian cries at the movie doesn't necessarily mean he is a Christian.

A person can believe that Jesus Christ died for their sins, was buried, and rose again, and still go to hell believing this. Every Baptist believes this, Roman Catholics believe this, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons believe this. That alone is not the Gospel.

The Gospel is not only that Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day, that's just part of the Gospel. The GOOD NEWS is WHY Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day.

The good news is why He did that: To satisfy God the Father so a holy God could still be just when He justified, made people righteous, to take them to heaven.

Isaiah 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

The wrath of God was poured out on the Lord, all the wrath that we deserve. Jesus Christ endured the equivilent of Hell while hanging on the Cross for six hours.

Do you deserve to go to Hell because of your sins against a holy God? We all deserve to go to Hell, but not only that, we deserve to go to Hell FOREVER. See Matthew 25:41-46; Revelation 14:10,11.

If anyone here reading this is not sure about their eternal salvation, let me try to make it perfectly clear. If you do not repent - turn to God FROM your sins - in humble submission to Him and take Jesus Christ as your Savior, you will go to Hell forever.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Romans 5:8,9 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

When a sinner repents of their sins, turns away from them and turns to God, believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, that He satisfied God once for all when He shed His blood and died on the Cross, Christ's righteousness is imputed to the believing sinner.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

There is no other way to be saved. Baptism, good works, and other sacraments cannot make any person righteous enough to get into God's Heaven. Adding any of these things to the blood of Christ to justify you is a denial of Christ's once for all sufficient sacrifice. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.

Amen.

2. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Actually, it is. Jesus had to die for our sins. His physical suffering was the way to our salvation.

You do know that baptism and the sacraments were given to us by God, right? Jesus' blood washed our sins, but God gave us other things to do as a Christian. No one is adding anything to His blood or His death and resurrection. But adding things to yourself spiritually is not only godly, but prudent.

3. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

If you are trying to make yourself righteous enough to get into heaven, then you do not understand justification and Christ's imputed righteousness by faith that is in Him alone.

Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

4. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

5. JAY WILL

JAY WILL New Member

Psalm145 3 you hit it right on the head your works won't get you to heaven, its only through your faith in Jesus Christ as your savior (JN3:16) and in (EPH2:8-9) Gods word says "For by grace are ye saved thru faith; and that not of yourselves; it is a gift of God (9) Not of your works, let any man should boast." KJV

6. frozencell

frozencell Guest

First and foremost, let me clarify myself for the sake of making everything a little easier. I do not believe in "making myself righteous enough" to get into heaven. The Catholic Church does not believe this or teach this, either. Those Catholics who say this are sadly mistaken.

Secondly, the above article byGeorge Whitefield is profoundly anti-Catholic and the anti-Catholic agenda that is so evident in it's very wording renders this article useless. It is not edifying to anyone in any way.

You seem to be under the impression that the sacraments are in the same category as "good works". I would like to inform you that the above idea is wrong. The sacraments bring you closer to God after you have already accepted His blood for your sins. God gave us baptism, Eucharist, marriage, holy orders, confirmation, reconciliation, and anointing of the sick to bring us closer to Him in our Christian walk. The Christian walk is not as easy as, "God, I accept you now let's have some Cheetos and talk about how others are wrong." You do things that bring you closer to Christ in your walk with Him such as Bible study, prayer, etc. While Catholics also do these things, the sacraments are held as much more sacred things.

So, once again, sacraments are NOT works.

7. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Your statement is a bit contradictory here. First you claim that a Christian cries, then you say that the Christian is not a Christian. Wee bit confusiing to a simple mind such as me. [​IMG]

Also, Christ's physical death is very much necessary to the gospel. To deny such is to deny the gospel. Also, to say that The Passion does not state the reason of Christ's death is to be willfully ignorant of the dialogue in the movie, or to not have read the subtitles. It is abundantly clear as to why Christ died. Just pay attention to the garden scene at the beginning. [​IMG] You accusation that the movie does not present the reason for Christ's death is unfounded, and frankly, false. I pray that you made the accusation uninformed and did not willfully misrepresent the movie just because a Catholic directed it.

In Christ,
    Neal

8. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

I have not seen the movie, and I don't plan to see it. The Holy Bible (Masoretic Hebrew and Greek Received texts where they are properly translated into any language)is a more sure word of prophecy than any Hollywood movie.

The Holy Bible teaches us that salvation is the unmerited, free grace of Christ whereby a man is eternally and completely and once-for-all saved from sin when he puts his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. Only by faith in the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ can a sinner be reconciled to God.

Romans 5:9,10 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Baptism cannot make a person a Christian and no sacrament can bring any person closer to God.

The blood, the blood alone, has power to redeem. Sacraments cannot save me. Nothing but the blood of Jesus has the slightest saving power. O you that are trusting in baptism, confirmation or the Lord's Supper-nothing but the blood can save. I care not how right the ordinance, how true the form, how scriptural the practice: it is all vanity to you if you rely on it to save. God forbid that I should say a word against ordinances or against holy things-but keep them in their places. If you make them the basis of your soul's salvation, they are lighter than a shadow. There is not-I repeat it again-the slightest atom of saving power anywhere but in the blood of Jesus. That blood only has the power to save. The blood stands out the only rock of our salvation.

God says, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you."

If the Passion movie puts it down big, plain, and straight - that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ alone, without works or sacraments - then I say Amen to that! But I'm afraid the movie says nothing about this. That's why I have started this thread, to tell the Truth to whosoever has ears to hear.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

If you're not saved, you are invited to believe on Jesus Christ. He suffered, He died, His soul was made an offering for your sin to satisfy God so God could forgive you. God is a God of love and He loves you, and don't think this God of love will not send people to Hell, He will. God is holy. Take Christ as your Savior today by putting your trust only in Him and not in sacraments. There is a time for baptism by immersion as a symbol to publically proclaim your faith, but it is only after you are saved already by believing in Him.

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

9. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I really don't understand your reply with regards to my pointing out an obviously contradictory statement in your initial post. And also, your initial post is FALSE. Why Christ died is made clear in the movie. So dance all you want, but you could be big enough to admit you spoke misinformed or whatever the case may be.

Then don't talk about something you don't know anything about. How in the world do you know what is presented in the movie when you haven't seen it? I fear your whole argument is based on your anti-Catholicism and the fact that Mel Gibson is a Catholic.

How do you know what the movie says if you haven't seen it? From watching the previews? If you want to be taken seriously, know what you are talking about. If you don't, you embarrass yourself and the cause of Christ more than anything else.

In Christ,
    Neal

P.S. I applaud you for wanting to present the gospel, but when you spread falsehoods right before it, how do you expect for someone to listen to you or give any creedance to what you say? That is the thing that bothers me most about your post, because they not only reflect on you, but on Christ as well since you present your views in the name of Christ.

10. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

What did the death of the Christ do for man?

It removed the penalty of sin from all men for all times, and put it ALL on "the MAN who is God" Jesus. Man is no longer condemned to die for his own sins! He can now by faith in God have everlasting life, in spite of all sins, except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, that man may commit. That is why "THE PASSION" is so important.

The movie should have been named "THE ATONEMENT" because that is exactly what is depicted, the very act of atonement by Jesus, the Christ.

That act is not what saves man however, because if man does not come to believe in God, even though his sins are atoned for, he will still face the second death, the death of the spirit in the Lake of fire.

It is only those who believe in Jesus who is God, the Son, and/or God the Father (one God) that are spared from the lake of Fire!

11. Constantine

Constantine New Member

It's probably called "The Passion of the Christ" because it is showing the passion that Christ had that He would sacrifice Himself for the souls of mankind. That takes a bit of passion, wouldn't ya say?

12. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Agreed, but the movie certainly depicts the ACT of ATONEMENT. Woudn't you agree?

13. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Which is why you will be happy to know that this was an independent film, not Hollywood, that was funded completely from Mel's own pocket.

You must be a better human than I to make such a bold statement. If praying and reading the Bible and having Bible study cvan bring you closer o God then why can't the Sacraments? Do you even know what they are? They mean nothing without believing in God, but they can most certainly bring you closer to Him once you do.

Spoken like a good Catholic. Hee hee......

But God DID give us things to observe, ya know.

14. vaspers

vaspers New Member

yes, this is an outrageously distorted film from a man who has no clue what salvation is--check out his fringe church, masochistic stigmata mystic inspiration, his silly comments on the Diane Sawyer interview...

..."we are all God's children {LIE: only those who are born again are}"

..."everybody goes to heaven, us Christians just have an EASIER RIDE there"

Mel is a confused, disturbed lover of ultra-violence, who wanted to make a lot of bucks prior to retiring from filmmaking.

We evangelicals are funding his fringe church that is Latin Rite and anti-Vatican II, his retirement, his arrogance, and his insanity.

Free preview showings to church leaders was a good marketing tactic. Too bad Jewish leaders were basically not allowed in. And Jimmy DeYoung said he had to sign something prior to viewing the preview screening, and subsequently must "be careful" what he says about the Passion movie monstrosity.

Not the Gospel. Not an evangelical tool. Not a reverent and accurate depiction of the last 12 hours. Not fit for consumption by children, elderly, folks with nervous problems and nightmare prone. Not giving the resurrection, ascension and Pentecost proper attention. Not providing the context for all the brutality inflicted on our Savior.

So why go see it? I never will. I'll warn everyone to avoid it and go see decent Christian films that at least try to be faithful to Bible text and respect to our Lord.

Vaaaaaaasppp--you've just been "vasperized"!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

15. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Imagine that, "vasperized"? And it didn't hurt at all! Amazing!

16. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Why? Because it really shows how ugly our sin is? I think we don't like seeing what it really cost.

In Christ,
    Neal

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Amen, Neal!