1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion Pulpit Swap

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by blackbird, Apr 7, 2004.

?
  1. Yes, bring the Catholic priest on

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Spirit and Truth "SharpSword,

You are starting to make me uneasy with all of these facts.Couldn't you just put up some warm and fuzzy stuff?"

I am so sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I will try to get in line as they say......

:confused: ....it's not working. ;)

Galatians 1:
    6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
    10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

[​IMG]Absouletly NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Donna " Absolutely Not !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL....I have never seen smiley's like that! They are hilarious.

Thank You...I think. :D [​IMG]

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

As I said, with the two of us talking ahead of time, I still don't have a problem. We agree more than we disagree, and I seriously doubt that a Catholic will choose to preach about the assumption of Mary when discussion the sacrifice of Christ.

Whether anyone likes it or not, one's opinion about Mary does not disqualify someone from salvation. If they have believed in their heart that Jesus is Lord and have confessed with their mouth that He rose again, they're saved. It's odd how so many people wish that wasn't true.

Believing in a specific doctrine about Mary does not automatically make one unsaved.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

ScottEmerson----Romans 10:9 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in thine heart that God hath raise Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

That little itty bitty phrase--"Jesus as Lord" means He stands alone---supreme over all others! Catholic heresy does not teach that---thus blasphemeing the name of Jesus!

There is no "Co-" nothin'---no "Co-creator"---no "Co-redemptrix"---the Father has made the Son to be both Lord and Christ!

6. mioque

mioque New Member

blackbird
    "would I get as much response from the Catholic community as he is receiving from the Baptist????? "
    It is almost certain that you would receive exactly the same response Gibson has.
    Something like this has happened before you see, an Atheïst Communist filmaker from Italy Pier Paolo Pasolini made a film in 1964 THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW. That film was extremely well received by a very large segment of the RCC and villified by a smaller segment of the same church. Sort of like what is happening to Gibson's film currently in baptist circles.
    In fact you have an advantage over Gibson&Pasolini. All Catholics know what Atheïst's are and they don't like them and most baptists are suspicious about the RCC, but most Catholics don't know anything about baptists, so just pointing out that you belong to the same denomination as MLK would give you a huge amount of goodwill throughout most of the Catholic Church.

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Scott is correct here. If one will claim Jesus as Lord then he/she will be saved. Blackbird, it is not up to you to say what is in one's heart.

Regarding the other Mary stuff - well that's the reason I'M BAPTIST now. The catechism teaches that Mary is mediatrix and advocate, mediator of all graces. What has been most debated LATELY is whether or not the pope should make and OFFICIAL DOGMATIC STATEMENT regarding Mary as "co-redemptrix", defining her role in salvation - that without her help the plan would not have been accomplished. In 1854 the immaculate conception was declared, in 1950 Mary's bodily assumption. This would be the fifth such dogmatic statement. This still, even in the minds of the saunchest Marianists would not make her "equal" to Christ - but it's way to close for me!! Ugh!!

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Charles M says--"If one will claim Jesus as Lord then he/she will be saved"----yes, with no other Lord but Jesus---no other Head of the Church but Him----Him by Himself---no Mary, no pope, no Saint---Jesus alone---supreme above ALL others!

One Lord---Jesus

One Mediator between God and man---the man, Jesus---we don't go off praying to Mary to mediate---all of this "Hail Mary" stuff---buddy, if she knew folks pray to her like they do---she'd be "rolling over in her grave!!!!"

9. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

"buddy, if she knew folks pray to her like they do---she'd be "rolling over in her grave!!!!"

Yes I agree!!!

10. mioque

mioque New Member

"buddy, if she knew folks pray to her like they do---she'd be "rolling over in her grave!!!!"
    Presumably somebody up there will have told her by now.

And how come, the board acts up when you type the word atheist?

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I don't think I've ever tried to type that word---lets try it---atheist--

Stand back, ya'll!!!! Its gonna bloooooowwwwwww!!

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Ain't nothin' happin'!! Mioque---check your settings again---your computer should be smokin' and belchin' flames by now---I just got through sprayin' mine with some sort of anti-stuff---so mine is al-(*$&@!*@#))_#**@#)!

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Blackbird
    :D
    I suspect I absentmindedly used the Dutch spelling of the word atheist, which includes an umlaut. Thus causing the hickup.

I just realized something troubling. Next monday evening a number of our members (and some other interested folks) are finally going to see the Passion of the Christ.
    As an introduction to this event, me and an old friend of mine Toon Rabou (who happens to be a RC priest) will be giving an introduction into traditional Roman Catholic traditions surrounding the suffering, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour (that would be Jezus Christus in case you were wondering ;) ).
    Anyhow to us it is strictly an interesting cultural event, showcasing how all sorts of extra-Biblical stuff got added to the original narrative across the centuries and explaining what the symbolical, methaphorical, political and sometimes just plain peculiar meaning of those additions is.
    On the other hand, it's still a lot closer to this pulpit swap thing that opened this thread, than I realized when I first read this thread.
    :eek:

14. onestand

onestand New Member

umm I'd be open to hearing what was said, doesn't mean I must agree with it. my grandpa was invited to preach in a catholic church (which was shocking to me since he was a nazarine pastor) and he graciously accepted and preached.

I'm open to hearing what others say and believe, mainly because i know what i believe and nothing is going to disrupt that but in fact many times i'm able to silently rebuttle in my heart what the person is saying knowing the truth.

15. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a Baptist Preacher, I'll go preach anywhere I'm invited. Have Bible, Will Travel.

I have preached in a Catholic Church.
    I have preached in a Christian Church.
    I have preached in a Black Baptist Church.
    I have preached in a Methodist Church.
    I have preached in a Rescue Mission.
    I have preached in a Public School.
    I have preached in a Public Park.

I would preach at the Gates of Hell if I could get invited.

Now would I have a Catholic Priest preach from my pulpit? Not likely.

16. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Why not offer other pastors the same opportunity that you have been offered?

Frankly, I believe that our congregation would be able to understand Truth, if the Catholic priest were to speak about Mary. I honestly and sincerely doubt that a priest would be inclined to give a treatise on things that he knew our church didn't believe.

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have had a Catholic Priest come to my church and speak to the youth. We then visited his church on a Sat. Night and observed. We were studying different religions.

18. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Hardsheller "I have had a Catholic Priest come to my church and speak to the youth. We then visited his church on a Sat. Night and observed. We were studying different religions. "

What was the consensus afterwards of the Baptist kids entering a catholic church with all the idols and imagery and such, and the actual mass presentation? What did they think?