1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion reviews and information

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Mar 5, 2004.

1. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

S&T,

When you say "no one" who do you mean? Surely not the people on the BB, because all it seems that his been discussed and debated is this movie.

But if you are referring to the people on this board, then you are in error. Not only that, but the same "intimidating tactics" that some believers have been accused of for demanding that people see this film, you now regress to those same tactics by making such a statement. You can't bully people into arguing with you about this film, just as people can't bully people into seeing it. But you are using your comment that "no one wants to talk about it" as bait. That's not good.

It is possible for someone to find your post at best ignorant and at worst mean spirited. Let me ask you, is it OK if someone doesn't want to talk about it anymore? If the answer is "yes" then why not join in one of the existing threads about this film, rather than starting new ones that rehash the same stuff?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree.

S&T loads of folks are discussing the "other side" was you call it, me for one. They are way too many threads running on this topic.

3. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

quote:

But if you are referring to the people on this board, then you are in error.

S&T:

I am referring to the religious world at large, as evidenced by the mainstream support the movie has received.

quote:

Not only that, but the same "intimidating tactics" that some believers have been accused of for demanding that people see this film, you now regress to those same tactics by making such a statement.

S&T:

While we are on the subject of intimidating tactics, let's look at this statement:

...if they're critical of the film, they would be critical of the Gospel (Archbishop John Foley, President, Pontifical Council for Social Communications, The Vatican)

S&T:

I am disseminating information. If you are personally against this information, I have no control over that.

quote:

You can't bully people into arguing with you about this film, just as people can't bully people into seeing it.

S&T:

Once again, disseminating information, not bullying. BTW I saw the movie twice so that I could speak factually on it.

4. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

Since the "no one" you are referring to is the religious world at large, and not those on these boards, then all bully references don't apply. They were conditional references anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

Those in the "religious world at large" who have their eyes closed to this information are not likely to stumble upon your post, follow the links you provided, and have some radical change of mind about this film. Your desire to disseminate information is admirable, but your venue is misplaced. I orginally interpreted your post as "let's all share the anti-Gibson, anti-Passion websites we found, to prove our side of the argument." I didn't realize that you were hoping that those in the religious world would be spiritually transformed and enlightened by this information. Sorry for my assumption! ;)

5. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Assumption is a funny thing....isn't it. The Bible proves that the movie preaches a different mesiah and a different gospel, I really don't have to do much. BTW, I like your twinge of sarcasm because:

A) It lets me know you are alive.

B) It lets me know that someone is reading my posts. [​IMG]

6. Forever settled in heaven

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Interesting that this "review" of the movie doesn't even discuss the movie, except to try to condemn it, based not on it's own merits, but on the religious beliefs of it's director and on quotes by people who weren't even involved with the film.

I do give them points for referrencing the old Elton John classic, "Honky Christ".

What?

I've seen the movie twice now. Exactly when in the movie does this happen?

This is pretty much the extent of the article's commentary on the movie. The rest is an anti-Catholic tirade.

Again, very little about the movie, itself, and what little there is is mostly trivial.

Like the others, this one spends most of it's time bashing Catholics and condemning the movie based on the religious views of it's director.

[quotehttp://www.beliefnet.com/story/140/story_14097_1.html [/quote]

While this is by far the most balanced of the articles listed here, the things mentioned here are, again, trival and even then, several of them are wrong.

It should also be noted that, although the premise of the article is supposed to be that certain events portrayed aren't necessarily found in scripture, even the authors of the article admitted...

A listing of some historical errors in the film, all of them trivial.

As with several of the others, more a Catholic bashing rant than any sort of objective look at the movie. But then, it's David Cloud. What else did you expect?

Of the two or three times "The Passion" is mentioned here, all they really do is make the same old groundless claims you've heard everywhere else without even trying to back them up.

Last but not least, the most baffling one of them all. This one doesn't even have anything to do with the movie at all.