1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passion turns Thomas Road Baptist Church 'Inside-Out'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by gb93433, Dec 3, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

LYNCHBURG, Va. (BP)--Thomas Road Baptist Church is booming. In the last 17 months, hundreds have become Christians and hundreds more have joined the church through a variety of ministries that bring non-members into the church, and send members out into their communities.

If you ask the church's pastor, Jonathan Falwell -- successor to and son of the late Jerry Falwell, founder of Thomas Road -- he'll tell you that what's happening has been in the works since his father first started the church more than 50 years ago.

Church membership has surged since a 2006 relocation to a former electronics factory of almost a million square feet. But since May 2006, when Jerry Falwell died and Jonathan became pastor, church ministries yielded nearly 1,200 baptisms and 2,700 new members. In September and October, the church baptized 200 people. Every week more than 18,000 people attend Thomas Road ministries, equal to about a third of those living within the city limits of Lynchburg, Va. -- population 62,000.

The rest of the story is at http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29442

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I would like to know how the 18,000 figure is calculated. I think they must be including the Liberty University campus church attendance. Does anyone know?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not completely in the know here...but I will say that from my previous experiences and from what friends associated with the ministry have told me they do include the campus worship from LU in their totals.

This number isn't huge though.

The ministry has grown by leaps and bounds, particularly due to the terrific work of the senior leadership of the church. Genuine spiritual growth is taking place at the church and there have been terrific decisions made for Christ.

I'm pumped about it. As the University grows so too grows the church and God's Kingdom is honored and glorified. :)

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Our current interim pastor taught at the university there and attend Thomas Rd Baptist for many years, was very good friends with Fallwell. He talks about it a lot.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

In spite of his many faults, Jerry Falwell was a visionary and a man of compassion. It is thrilling to see that vision and compassion has passed on to the second generation.