1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Astray!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Justified, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Justified

Justified New Member

Everyone can give advice to the Christian who goes astray.

But! A Pastor that I held dear to my heart has taken such a very anti-Biblical stand on certain matters. And to make matters worse, has other members of the church involved in this matter and they don't see the sin, because the Pastor says it's OK.

I have brought this matter to his attention, and even with Scripture, he chooses to take the wide road away from God's Word.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm very sorry to hear of this Justified and can join you in prayer that this Pastor will yield to the Holy Spirit and hear God's voice about this situation.

Diane

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Generally speaking, what certain matters?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thta is a very good reason why we must be around godly people who will hold us accountable. We must have friends who will be honest with us. It will help us from taking a detour where we shouldn'yt go.

From the first day of becoming a Christian until now I am around people who will tell me the truth and to hold me accountable in walking with God. One man who I met when he was 55 wrote me and called wherever I lived. He died just a few years ago at the age of 76. In fact I called him just a few days before he died. His funeral was paid for by some of those he had discipled. There were abouty 640 at the funeral. The church could not contain all the people so some had to stand outside. The funeral lasted for three hours. Person after person stood to tell how he had affected their life.

5. Justified

Justified New Member

Proper authority structure in the church & the family.

Qualifications of church leaders.

Usurping the authority of the parents.

Those are a few of the "certian matters".

I've have always been taught to show respect to and for the person and position of "Pastor", but now I'm in a very difficult situation , because of some of these "certian things".

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I'm just being cantankerous tonight....

However, if this individual, as you seem to be implying, is usurping the authority of parents over their children, then he is dividing the house, and a house divided cannot stand.

If this individual is not following what you see to be the biblical qualifications of church leaders, and is somehow mixing the proper authority structure of the church and the family (boy howdy, would it help if you could explain that one some more), then you must take it to him (which you've indicated you've already done), and then you must take it to the church (which you've seem to implied that you've done).

You've implied that you've done these, and most of the congregation is siding with your pastor. You must examine carefully that it's not you that's at fault.

And if you still can't get things reconciled, then as much as I hate to advise this, perhaps you need to be looking for another church.

I say these things because I once made the mistake of not standing up to a pastor that I knew was in the wrong, and a LOT of people ended up getting hurt over it.

7. Justified

Justified New Member

Well, I don't think you are cantankerous, but you do have the right to know what you are advising about, and, after all, this is on a public forum, so to speak!

So, here is the senerio:

Let's say the parents of a family raise their children a certian way, and nothing un-Biblical and nothing un-Doctrinal. But, with standards that are not what most liberal Christians would not agree with.

And the Pastor advises the teen agaanst what he/she was taught, without confronting the parents or maybe even counseling them about the matter. And even advising the teen to go behind the parents back, AND! Even having members of the church helping this teen to achieve this!

All! While on Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights, the Pastor and Brothers and Sisters in the Lord are shaking the parents hands, knowing what is going on! AND! Doing it with a [​IMG] !

For about 8 months!

[ October 11, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Justified ]

8. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Justified,

You need to Grow up! The Pastor your are referring to didn't go against anything you have taught your ADULT child. Who is of LEGAL age.
    You need to stop blaming OTHERS for your downfalls. That Pastor didn't turn any member against you or your family.
    You turned yourself and your family on the church.

You need to come to grips with the fact that "N" is an adult and can make up it's own mind. You just didn't agree with the decision that IT made.

So, we all know you don't want to make peace. And it is YOU who is hurting the relationship between this ADULT child and it's family. It is also YOUR loss. It is barbaric to disown a child just because you don't agree with a decision it has made!
    So I suggest you start looking in the mirror and placing blame on that person instead of everyone else.

And as far as people laughing at you behind your backs just is not so. You need to "GET OVER IT"!

I am pretty sick of you bad mouthing this church. You need to move on and stop your actions.

9. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, Now I know which church this is. The Church at Philippi - Euodias and Syntyche are at it again! :eek:

10. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

But I'm afraid that he did. It was you who didn't want to know the facts, right? It was you who chose to look the other way. You have allowed emotion to tarnish fair judgement. Because of your worldly views, and refusal to see biblical teaching, you cannot see the spiritual things. I was not forced to turn on the church by my husband. I have seen what mis-counsel and sin can do. And a pastor who chooses to let a family go, without even trying to help is a sad excuse for a pastor. A pastor who sits with a torn family and doesn't even bring a Bible, is a sad excuse for a pastor. A pastor who places a brother in position of authority, knowing the sin he's involved in, and ignores it is a sad excuse for a pastor. And until that pastor faces those excuses, he does not deserve a position as the leader of a flock, except for those that look upon the man more highly than God.

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Not at all. It's just plain old sin that causes it.

13. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Your right, this should be kept private. I agree 100%.

Now This is to Kathy and Larry,

I will publicly say that I apologize for sticking my nose where it does not belong. I won't go into details because you already know Kathy what I am talking about.
    I apologize for being involved at all.

And I apologize for not coming to you and asking.
    Our only concern was that she was safe. That was all.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is quite possibly the most remarkable thing I have ever seen on this board.

May I ask, is the problem with this child a matter of moral failure, clear departure from biblical teaching, a departure from the standards instituted by the family, or down right legalism?

Further, if this child is an adult, he/she is accountable to God- not the parents. Interference by the parents will at best increase the antagonism and at worst interfere with what God is doing in this young person's life. If God will not answer prayers to change his/her heart then NOTHING a parent can say will do it.

15. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

WHOA!!! Sorry friends I let this one slip by me. I understand that this is a good place to seek answers to questions, even those of this nature, but one should never post such an accusation knowing that other posters are privy to which church you are talking about. This must be handled privately and in the future I advise somone with a similar question to PM several people on the board who you respect and ask their advise instead of opening it up for all to see.
    Oh by the way I am closing this thread.
    Murph