1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Imposes "Morals Clause" on Choir

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Jerome, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the husband is to be like Christ to the church ... which means he does not do what he may really want to do if there is something better for the family. The husband must always put their needs before his own.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

and this is relevant, how?

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That is a completely ignorant representation of the egalitarian position. Just because we differ on this issue does not mean we are dishonest or explaining something away.

The "Scripture is pretty clear" argument is really just a tactic for making oneself look good in a discussion or debate. It automatically places the others as being not only in the wrong, but contrary to the will of God.

And, plus, the Bible is only clear that in some select places, women were not supposed to push the envelope for the greater good of the Kingdom.

And, by the way, if she is the pastor, then no amount of base interpretive footwork can take the title away. She is the pastor.

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Hmmm...I think you should repent of your sin and stop speaking to other Christians in a spiteful, sarcastic and pejorative way.

See, that probably doesn't sit well with you. But it's no more offensive and over-the-line than what you said.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Let's see, you have sent me multiple IMs begging me to stop calling you a liberal and to stop hurting your feelings. You continually say that I should stop speaking to other Christians in certain ways. Since that time I have basically ignored you. Also since that time you have made it a habit to reply to posts of mine (that were not directed to you) and attempt to argue with me.

You can't have it both ways jaigner. Either you want me to leave you alone or you want to argue. Decide which you'd like to do. If arguing is what you prefer, let by all means we can argue. If not, then stop stalking me.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The PMs were tactfully worded messages imploring you to stop speaking harshly and completely without any Christian charity or concern. It was not because you were "hurting my feelings."

I'm not asking you to stop arguing or debating. That's all fine and good. I'm asking you to stop demeaning and debasing other Christians while you do so. And if you do go over the line, to have the decency to apologize for it.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you (and many of those people have conservative and evangelical higher education and training and have learned the basics of biblical exegesis and interpretation), does not mean they are a heathen or that they somehow don't love Jesus like you do.

If you were to respond in love, even in disagreement, you might find there is still plenty to learn from these other believers.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right boys and girls -

This thread is about choir members being required to sign a pro-family statement

NOT
    1- women pastors
    2- disagreements between BB members

If you wish to continue the "NOT" subjects please start a new thread or go to PM's

And now back to our regular scheduled argument about choir members being required to sign a statement.

8. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

Same here! I'm a nursery working, and my husband and I are both in choir. We signed a covenant when we joined and we had no problem with it. Its basically upholding higher christian standards for those in ministry (especially because they are usually watched more by those who do and do not work in ministry)..

I agree there's nothing wrong with the covenant, and I dont agree with a female "pastor" either. There's no picking and choosing on what to and what not to obey in the bible.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's a different interpretation - and one that is defended well. I'm sure there have been some who have "picked and chosen" what to obey, but evangelicals with this position are not among them. This is where we've been led.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please continue praying for the OP pastor, who continues to be heavily pressured by family members.

From niece Angie Schuller Wyatt's blog:

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It sounds like, while I totally disagree with her being a pastor, that she is staying more Biblical than so many male pastors that I know!

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

AMEN! But I do agree that all groups have rules, and if you don't like the rules, don't be part of the group. End of sentence.

13. khr

khr New Member

I disagree from the standpoint that our ministries are outreach platforms. How can we reach out to lost people with the gospel and love of Christ with this kind of thing? I have no problem with lost people being a part of our choir or music ministry. It's a great way to reach some people that will never be reached any other way. These people aren't soloists or leaders, they're simply participating just as the people in the pew participate.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, even just being in the choir, there is a measure of representation of the church. Having an unbeliever up front on the altar/stage/whatever says "Watch these people." I believe that in no ministry at church should there be an unbeliever because even down to the custodian, they are representing Christ.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do have a problem with your statement - any position in the church should be reserved for church members - members who respect the standards of the church.

How do we reach them - by living a Godly Christian life

16. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

There have to be standards, even for the choir.

I say that knowing of affairs that started in the choir, practicing duets.

Gay, straight, oblong, square, or whatever describes your temptation to sin, either forgo that sin or don't ask to serve.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you are OK with the lost doing ministry? What are they ministering? What are they standing for? If it's a ministry and they are lost, how does that work? What about the fact of being yoked to someone who's not saved? What about the prayer time - that person has no interest in the prayer because they have no interest in the Savior? They are singing lies because they don't believe what they are singing.

There is so much wrong with this.

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree in principle. You don't want to have a non-believer teaching Sunday School, watching the nursery, etc.

However, there may be other situations where someone who is searching - but not yet a believer - may be involved with ministry. Church work days, building homes for habitat, feeding the homeless, etc. are all examples where non-believers would be welcome to join in --- and thus, see the love of Christ being shown to those in need.

Personally, I don't see this as an either/or situation -- just another situation where discernment is needed.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, in those situations, unless they are all identified as members of the church, I think it's fine. When we were doing a renovation on our church, we often had unsaved working alongside us (and we do now with the renovation of the new church campus building) and we are ministering to them. Actually, a number of the workers from our church expansion were saved by working alongside our men. :)

20. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting situation. I know a physician (non-believer) who accompanied his wife (an RN, who was a believer) on medical mission trips to Africa. For years, he went with her simply as a doctor doing good work for others. Now, they both go together sharing God's love and using their medical skills as short term medical missionaries. You never know...